PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Stand or Cabinet and Hood?

Mac McAtee
08-04-2003, 2:08 PM
There is starting to be an interest around my house in a tropical fish aquarium. A 55 gal aquarium, full, weighs around 500 lbs. The various fish stores sell wood cabinets to go under them and matching wood hoods to hold the lighting.

I want to build my own. I can wing it and make the cabinet out of 3/4" ply with reinforcing inside to support the weight. However I don't know what is sufficient or overkill. Also would like some design ideas.

Does anyone know of a book or other source of information about building aquarium furniture?

Lee Schierer
08-04-2003, 2:40 PM
If you get nosey and look at the ones in the stores closely, you can see how they did it. The weight is distributed across the bottom so, make sure the bottom doesn't flex between supports. Also make sure your design will with stand the water that will get spilt.

Wood over an aquarium will fail quickly or become stained. Even polyuretahne doesn't hold up for long. I would make it a little over size and line it with lexan or sheets of glass and seal the joints with silicone. Use stainless or solid brass for fasteners and hardware.

Tom Sontag
08-07-2003, 6:55 PM
If you look at aquarium shop stands, you will be appalled at the quality of the construction. But they do get one thing right: strength. If you think about it, 3/4" plywood on edge secured into a rectangle can support a lot because of the strength it has ON EDGE. So you could slap together something pretty easily. Others get by with a flat slab of ply on construction blocks. There are many ways to support a tank 'getting by'.

But let's presume you want something nicer. I built a stand for a 75g with solid walnut. Eight 2x2 posts frame 3 doors, raised panels all around. A 3/4" ply top edged in walnut that is dead level (important) finishes the look. One bay has a slide-out drawer/shelf for smaller items. I built the hood too: 1/2" walnut with two 1/2" wide vents across the top venting the lights which are attached to an oak board that slides front to back along a cleat at the ends (the same cleat keeps the hood on the tank). The front 8" of the hood lifts up and is attached with a piano hinge. If this is not very clear email me for pics.

www.thekrib.com is an excellent resource for all things aquaria including some DIY info. Typing "aquarium stand DIY" into Google ought to give you a few examples too. Good luck!

Ken Garlock
08-07-2003, 7:25 PM
When we had a 77 gal aquarium, we bought the base with the tank. It was constructed of a 2x4 frame. The tank was about 5 ft. long and the frame had 6 vertical 2x4s, the 4 corners, and two in the middle. The top and bottom platforms were also 2x4 with the wide dimension parallel to the floor. The exterior of the cabinet was made of wood, it may have been T&G. There were two doors to provide access to the equipment in the bottom.

Like was suggested above, check out the stands at the local pet stores or aquarium supply stores. Whomever you buy the tank from will/should have stands for the tank you select. Just as important is to have good water filter and air systems.

I got out of the tropical fish hobby some 10 yrs ago, and haven't looked back.

Jim Young
08-07-2003, 10:36 PM
Here is the project that got me into woodworking. After looking at the stands in the stores I decided that I could build one that is better looking. I made this out of 3/4 cherry and the side and door panels are 1/4" ply. The tank is 75 gallons and has been in use for about eight years with no issues. A couple of shots show the internal joinery, everything was put together with dowels. I would use biscuits(sp?) now. The outside was finished with gel stain and the inside I used a coat of wipe on poly. The stand is a little shorter than the ones you see in stores because at the time my kids were tiny (and still innocent) and I wanted them to be able to see the "fishies".

If you want the original pictures for the detail I can send them to you. I also have a few more pics with details.

Mac McAtee
08-08-2003, 8:39 AM
Jim,
This looks great. I have posted a private message to you.
Regards,
Mac

Bruce Page
08-08-2003, 2:42 PM
Mac, here are some pic’s of the red oak stand that I made for my 110 gallon aquarium. My design is probably a little overkill. :p The top & bottom are solid 8/4, the 10 vertical supports measure 2”x4” and are mortised into the top & bottom. It didn’t even creak a little when I set the tank on it (no lightweight by itself) and filled it with gravel & water.
While I was at it, I did some creative plumbing to the two magnum filters to allow for easier maintenance.

Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family. . . in another city. -- George Burns

Mac McAtee
08-08-2003, 3:04 PM
Bruce,
It looks like you and Jim have set a standard. Now I have to see if I can meet it. Thanks for the pictures. I kind of like the beading around the top and the circular dohicky on the corners. It gives the cabinet a little class.
Mac

Bruce Page
08-08-2003, 3:45 PM
Bruce,
It looks like you and Jim have set a standard. Now I have to see if I can meet it. Thanks for the pictures. I kind of like the beading around the top and the circular dohicky on the corners. It gives the cabinet a little class.
Mac

Thanks Mac.

I forgot to mention that when I built this about 10 years ago, I shot it with several coats of lacquer. The lacquer has stood up extremely well and shows no signs of deteriorating.
Whichever finish that you decide on, know that it will get wet from time to time.

Jim Young
08-08-2003, 10:07 PM
Mac - You got mail (and lots of it)