PDA

View Full Version : Mobile base choices for Grizzly 1023 TS

Don Morris
03-04-2006, 8:30 AM
I may have my Delta contractor saw sold, I have it tuned up to pass the nickel test plus offering the Biesemeyer splitter for $50.00 and other extras now allows me to buy the Grizzly 1023SL. I move the TS around a lot in my small shop and will have the extension kit for router table on right. The Delta mobile base was easy to move with the single foot lever. The 1023 Shop Fox mobile base looks like it's going to be a PITA having to bend over and loosen and tighten handles all the time. Anybody try any other brands (e.g. HTC) or have any ideas/options about mobile bases for the G1023? I found combining the TS with the router table was the most efficient utilization of my space, that's why I put the router table on the right of the TS rather than having a separate router table. Thanks for any input!

Don M

Russ Massery
03-04-2006, 8:35 AM
Don, I have my 1023 with the extension table on a shop fox mobile base. There's a extension kit for it. At the time woodcraft had a better price on it vs. directly through Grizzly. I don't use the lock unless I'm cutting thick, heavy stock other wise there really not needed.

Dick Parr
03-04-2006, 8:44 AM
I also have the shop fox with extension on mine thinking I was going to move it around in the shop, I haven't moved it once. From the HTC that I have you will also have to bend down and lock.

Don where do you live? When I sell my 15" planner I will be moving my 1023SL over about a foot and plan on taking it off the mobile base since I never move the saw. We could figure out some type of deal if you are close enough to pick it up. Someone is coming to look at the planner today.

john whittaker
03-04-2006, 8:55 AM
Don,
I have the Shop Fox and would buy it again. The saw gets moved every time I use it and the base is good and solid. You will need to put in a few small spacer blocks to get a tight fit between saw base and mobile base frame.
I also have the 1023SL and would buy it again.

Fred Anderson
03-04-2006, 10:40 AM
I have mine on a Delta base. Works just fine and the arm for the extension legs works just fine. I'm working in a small shop so I move it around quite a bit....works well and you can operate it with your foot rather than having to bend over and use your fingers.

Hope this helps,

Fred

Steve Clardy
03-04-2006, 11:03 AM
I bought the HTC from grizzly at the same time I bought the 1023 saw in 1994. Great base, but hardly ever move it. Just when cleaning.

Jim DeLaney
03-04-2006, 1:42 PM
Shop Fox base, with extension. Works very well. Like the others, though, I hardly ever move the saw around.

Vaughn McMillan
03-04-2006, 3:23 PM
These are both slightly different applications than a table saw, but I I've got a Shop Fox base under my bandsaw and the HTC 1000 under my 6" jointer, and the HTC is the easier of the two to lift into rolling position...I can do it with my feet. As you noticed, the Shop Fox requires bending, which is something I try to avoid. By far my best mobile base is the Herc-U-Lift that's built into the bottom of my Ridgid table saw. One foot pedal puts all four wheels on the ground at once, and it's just as easy to set the whole thing back down. Plus, all four casters swivel, so I can turn the saw around in its own tracks. I haven't seen the Herc-U-Lift available separately, but some posted here a while back that they had seen them. If they are available, I don't know if there's one made for your configuration, though.

- Vaughn

Curt Harms
03-04-2006, 7:57 PM
Hi Don

Here's my solution. I wanted something I could raise by stepping on it. It has worked out very well. I made mine out of steel tube and used a cheap HF stick welder, but if You're not geared for metal work, You could do something similar out of wood, I'm sure.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28407

Scott Parks
03-04-2006, 8:43 PM
Put a DELTA base under it. The one for the Unisaw will fit. I have the unisaw base under my 1023SL, and love it. Easy to use and move! Uses one pedal to raise/lower, no getting on the floor to twist knobs, very sturdy... on and on....

Rob Blaustein
03-04-2006, 8:52 PM
I have an HTC on my 1023. There are two different types of HTC bases--those with 4 wheels and those with 3. The ones with 3 are meant to take more weight, I believe, and that's what I have on my saw. I do have to bend down to loosen/tighten the knobs when I want to move it. Also, the 3 wheel design makes it prone to tipping if a lot of weight is applied on the corners, but I don't think that would be an issue for you since you would be adding an extension base that would prevent that (I think). You can call HTC and check (they have no website as far as I know).