PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #32 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
03-04-2006, 5:50 AM
Friday March 3rd, 2006

WE HAVE HEAT!! Dave and Mike, from Top-Hat HVAC, got the furnace working about 2 PM. It was running like crazy when I left. I set the temp thermostat down to 50, which will hopefully turn the furnace off at some point.

The drywallers were back again. They started on the walls and were pretty well along when I left. They are coming back Saturday to finish up. Taping begins Tuesday. I think clean up is schduled for Monday.

The insulation was also done in the attic. Blown in 18" deep. Not cellulos, so we are pretty much weather tight. Only exception is the basement windows and the one kitchen window. Hopefully they'll both be in this coming week.

Master Bedroom/part of the bath.

From the hall looking toward the kitchen.

My humble attempt at stair making.

More of the basement with the stairs.

I got my stairs in place. I still have to cut the treads and get them on. I'm going to try to get them done Saturday.

I have a renewed admiration for Richard Wolf and the beautiful work he does on his stair cases. I had enough problems with this wee little bitty one, much less tackling one of the proportion he makes.

Friday was working day 38 since Schluter's began by tearing the old house down. Mid April is still looking good for moving in. :)

Thanks for looking. More next week.

Karl

Ray Bersch
03-04-2006, 7:12 AM
Karl,
The speed of your construction is absolutely amazing! Great job. I marvel at how there are differences around the country. For example, in NJ we have to have a gas appliance (and they usually insist that it be the furnace) and all gas pipe installed before the gas company will even come out and survey the place. First they inspect the installation, which usually takes several days just to get them there. Then the inspector files a report and only then can gas line installation be scheduled. Often there is a two week wait before actual installation of the underground gas line and then we have to wait for a separate crew to install the meter. The fact that it is winter and you need heat is of no concern to the gas company - you wait in line with everyone else, who, by the way, also need heat.

Don't go hog wild with the heat in this new house. There is plenty of wet lumber around and you should allow it to dry as gradually as you can. And don't forget to provide some ventilation when the tape and mud are applied to the sheetrock. There will be so much humidity in the place that you will think you are in a rain forrest - so, allow some ventilation from basement to attic - basement windows (when installed, open a bit, scuttle to attic open, windows in each room open a bit both top and bottom - don't try to heat the outside! Just allow air to move around.

Have a great weekend.
Ray

Jim Becker
03-04-2006, 10:25 AM
What Ray said...amazing!

Eddie Watkins
03-04-2006, 10:39 AM
If I ever build another house, I want to hire your guy! Looking Good.
Eddie

John Miliunas
03-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Nice job on the steps, Karl! Good progress on the whole place, me thinks. I'm assuming that the basement will serve as the shop's metal working area??? :confused: That's a good idea!!! :D Hope those steps are really strong, though; Those milling machines and metal lathes are big time heavy!!!! :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
03-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Karl.........I'm sounding like a broken record but you GC and subs......unbelieveable! Work looks good to! Carry on!

Jerry Olexa
03-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Karl: looking good.. Like your idea of stairs into the crawl. Great for access to storage and more tools:) ..Shaping up well. You should be pleased..

Jim O'Dell
03-04-2006, 2:31 PM
Man, these guys are fast, huh?? I agree with everything written above my post. Looks great!! It took me almost as long to build a fence, before we could move into our current hacienda about 2 years ago, as it's going to take your crew to build the house. And our house was already here!! It won't be long. You may beat that mid April date! Jim.