PDA

View Full Version : Need help with larger pieces

Curtis O. Seebeck
03-04-2006, 1:52 AM
This evening I decided to try to make a larger vase. I mounted a chunk of Texas Elm and got the outside all formed and looking great. It was 11" tall and 7 1/2" diameter and everything was going great. I used a long drill to make my dept hole and it started wobbling just a little. I straightened it up in the chuck and started hollowing. One very small little catch and it went flying! It just does not seem like the chuck has enough holding power.

I have a Super Nova 2 with the standard 50 mm jaws. What do I need to do to be able to turn something like this? My tenon was just fine with a slight dovetail and I had a good shoulder to mount against. The chuck was nice and tight. The tenon did not break, it just came out of the chuck. Do I need bigger jaws or should I look into a steady rest of some sort?

Thanks for any help!

Travis Stinson
03-04-2006, 2:01 AM
Both. For hollowing something that far from the chuck, you need jaws with more gripping area, like the spigot jaws or the PowerGrip set. Add a steady rest to keep the outward forces and vibration in check.

Curtis O. Seebeck
03-04-2006, 2:16 AM
Thanks Travis. I am sure I am trying to work way above my experience level since I have only been turning since October but what better way to learn than to push my limits!

Jim Bell
03-04-2006, 1:35 PM
You might also start your turning on a piece that size with the tail stock engaged until some of the weight has been turned away.
Jim

Jim Ketron
03-04-2006, 7:08 PM
Travis Is right! I use a Talon Chuck and the #2 jaws for my hollow forms and I have turnd some large ones with this set up. I also use a captured rig I made myself, this will help eleminate catches especialy on larger forms. and a steady rest is a great Idea, I would not turn larger ones without it.
what type of hollowing rig you using?