PDA

View Full Version : Ooooohhhh The Wonder of Hot Water.!

Dennis Peacock
03-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Woo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have hot water in the house now!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

No more boiling water on the stove to try and make the bath water more tolerable.
No more boiling water on the stove to wash dishes by.
No more dirty clothes piling up because they need hot water to be clean.
No more boiling water on the stove to mop the kitchen floor with.

I don't care what anybody says!!!! The simple convience of a working water heater is truly a luxury that we all seem to take for granted. :rolleyes:

Karl Laustrup
03-04-2006, 5:13 AM
The simple convience of a working water heater is truly a luxury that we all seem to take for granted. :rolleyes:

How true Dennis. Just one of many that we don't even think about.

Glad you're "hot stuff" again. :D

Karl

Tim Morton
03-04-2006, 5:35 AM
\
I don't care what anybody says!!!! The simple convience of a working water heater is truly a luxury that we all seem to take for granted. :rolleyes:

OH yeah!!! My olil burner goes out about 3 or 4 times a year and those mornings I wake up with no hot water....yes, for sure electricty and hot water are keepers!!:D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-04-2006, 6:23 AM
Does this mean you will be taking more showers...? ;) :D

Sounds like good news for all involved...... :D:D

Cheers!

Karl Laustrup
03-04-2006, 7:34 AM
Does this mean you will be taking more showers...? ;) :D

Sounds like good news for all involved...... :D:D

Cheers!

I didn't want to say anything Stu, but we've had a south breeze all week and.............well, you know Arkansas is south of Wisconsin. ;) :eek: :D :D

Karl

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-04-2006, 8:43 AM
I didn't want to say anything Stu, but we've had a south breeze all week and.............well, you know Arkansas is south of Wisconsin. ;) :eek: :D

Karl
Cough cough...:rolleyes:

I have no idea what you are talking about.... :rolleyes: ;) :D

When I first moved to Japan, I lived in a horrible little room, it was what they call a "Yo Jo Han" Which means 4 1/2 mats, one mat is 91 x 182 cm, so that is right around 80 square feet of total space (the room was squarish, just under 9' on a side) there was a small closet, and a small entrance way with a small sink and cook space (entrance way was less than on square yard, just big enough for me to get in and out of the room) the sink was just big enough to wash a 10" frying pan in, and the one burner stove sat beside it.

Yes, this was a small place. The toilet was shared and down the hall, it was a very old house, which had 4 rooms on each floor, with one toilet on each floor, (yes, squat toilets). There was no bath or shower, we had to go to the public bath (called a Sento "sen-toe"). This got a bit expensive, so I usually only had one bath or less a day, and in the summer with no AC and training in the Aikido Dojo 3 or 4 hours a day, well, I can say I would not have wanted to stand down wind of me!! :o

We spent our money on beer instead :D

I really do appreciate indoor plumbing and just turning on the tap and having hot water!!

Cheers!

PS the reason I took the room was it was cheap ($150 a month) and it was a 6 minute stumble from the dojo, that counts when the first class is at 6:30 AM!! :eek:

Richard Gillespie
03-04-2006, 9:04 AM
Dennis;

Been following your posts on the water heater problems with interest. I built my house 18 years ago and installed a used water heater. this was done to save money, it cost me $50.00 and only had 6 months prior serice. It was changed out when the homeowner (a friend of mine) converted from electric to gas.

That water heater has been in continious service for 18 years with no problems. Makes me wonder how much longer I'm going to be able to depend on it. On top of that, a catch pan wasn't required when I installed it. I'm thinking of replacing it before I have a leak.

Rick

Dennis Peacock
03-04-2006, 9:52 AM
Rick,

I now have a Rheem water heater. Much nicer than the one I bought 5 years ago from the local big box store. I have heard many good things about the AO Smith line of water heaters. Next time, I'm going for an AO Smith.

Plumber said that water heaters aren't designed nor built like they used to be and only last between 6 and 9 years. Usually long enough for each homeowner to have to replace the water heater, if they are in a newer house every few years.

What upsets me also is that if I want to take an old water heater to the local dump? It's a flat $65 charge to put a water heater in the local landfil. Any applicane, they charge through the nose for. It's no wonder so many properties have old appliances laying around.

Dennis Peacock
03-04-2006, 9:54 AM
I didn't want to say anything Stu, but we've had a south breeze all week and.............well, you know Arkansas is south of Wisconsin. ;) :eek: :D :D

Karl

Hey Karl,

How about sending us a NORTH wind and let me smell that new home construction smell..!!!!:D Oh....make sure you've had a bath before you send the wind down this way.:eek: :p :p :D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Luckily the wind is nearly always out of the west here!

Leave it to a southerner to brag about hot water! Hey Dennis ya got indoor plumbin' yet?:eek: :D

Good luck with the new heater Dennis!

Eddie Watkins
03-04-2006, 10:14 AM
I don't think that everything today is not built as well as it used to be (i.e., cars seem to be better) but appliances seem to be an item that just don't last like they used to. I've had bad luck with water heaters and washers and dryers. Did you get an electronic ignition or gas pilot? I have a gas pilot that blows out regularly in the winter and am looking for options such as an electronic ignition or tankless WH. $65 disposal is a kick in the pants. Any price seems reasonable when you're taking a cold shower , though.:)

Curt Fuller
03-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Rick,

What upsets me also is that if I want to take an old water heater to the local dump? It's a flat $65 charge to put a water heater in the local landfil. Any applicane, they charge through the nose for. It's no wonder so many properties have old appliances laying around.

Recyclers will usually take your old water heater for free and sometimes even give you a couple bucks for it. If you have one in the area that might be a better option.

Dennis Peacock
03-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Luckily the wind is nealy always out of the west here!

Leave it to a southerner to brag about hot water! Hey Dennis ya got indoor plumbin' yet?:eek: :D

Good luck with the new heater Dennis!

Hey Ken,

Gotta 2 hole'r out back!!!! A bit breezy in the winter, but it's always there. Sears Catalog on a roll when you need it. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Tyler Howell
03-04-2006, 11:26 AM
AAAAAAAH! Simple pleasures.
Glad your back on track.:cool:

Richard Gillespie
03-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Dennis;

The old water hearter is an A O Smith. It's given me great service.

Rick

Jim Becker
03-04-2006, 3:25 PM
What? No picture of you enjoying that hot bath water? Oh...on second thought... ;)

Steve Clardy
03-04-2006, 6:21 PM
Sure seems to smell better north of ya today.:rolleyes:
Course we been geting some much needed rain all day.:D
Maybe the rain has washed things down a bit up here.;) :D