PDA

View Full Version : "stupidity" A Rant

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-03-2006, 9:57 PM
Stupidity is something I can't stand!

People who sit in right turn lanes that say it's ok to go on red and it is obvious that the right lane is only for turning traffic.

People that pull into a handicap spot, with their little sign, and Literally RUN into the store.

Supposed intellegent and safety concious people that should now better, do something Stupid like put your thumb in the way of a spinning saw blade.

That was me today! I reached for a cutoff and the saw got me.

I was going to show two pictures, but decided that one was just toooooooooooo gross! Here's ths better one. Lost about 1/2 oz of meat! Ground Chuck! I wanted to lose weight, but I can NOW think of better ways!

Surprisingly, it only took 7 stitches. The Doc says, my Fingerprint will be changed.

Now the consequences. Six or more weeks and no bowling. Not important to some, but I have a team that is now one bowler short. Also, I have to withdraw from a $1000.00 tournement I had a better than average chance of winning.

Little or no woodworking for a while!

All I can say, again, is BE CAREFUL IN THERE!

Bruce:(

Ken Fitzgerald
03-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Bruce.........sorry about your incident! Tell me.....Are you going to have complete use of your thumb? I certainly hope so. Thanks for posting it as a reminder to all of us to be careful! Here's hoping you have a complete and quick recovery!

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Yep...............It didn't lose any length and I didn't get any tendons, just a little meat!

Bruce

Anthony Anderson
03-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Bruce, truly sorry about your accident. I hope you heal quickly, and glad it wasn't worse. Just goes to warn me that it can even happen to the most experienced, careful people. Quick recovery. Regards, Bill

BTW, now's the perfect time to learn to bowl right handed:D.

Dennis Peacock
03-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Bruce,

Really sorry to hear of your accident. May your thumb heal quickly and you get back to your bowling as quick as possible.

Brad Kimbrell
03-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Bruce,

I'm sure that we have all done the same thing many times and "gotten away with it".

So sorry for your injury. I broke my shoulder blade 3 years ago and had to cancel a week-long woodworking school trip that I had been wanting to go to for several years.

I can top your stupid story with one from 20 years ago. I needed to trim the end of a 6" piece of 2x2 red oak and the radial arm saw table was stacked up with clutter, so since I was in a hurry to get to church, I just flicked on the jointer and decided to hand-hold a pass across the knives to trip 1/8" off of the end grain!

After my father patched the hole in the top of the garage roof and the doctor moved my thumb from the back of my hand back into position I had time to think about my stupidity.

I haven't been hurt in the shop but one other time when I took a "soft" pine 2x4 and shoved it into a 21,000 rpm 3" lock miter bit.....and I only took that one upside my forehead!

I credit my time spent at Marc Adams school over the past 2 years for increased safety. We are NEVER in so much of a hurry that we have to pull that miter saw up out of the cut before it stops (also chance of a splinter), NEVER reach toward a moving blade to clear cutoffs, NEVER even use a stick to push them out of the way, etc.

Sorry for the rant, and I'm sure that you have much more experience in safety, but we all need to think more about it.

Hope you get better quickly and in case you need to rob a bank maybe they won't find your prints in the database! LOL...;)

john whittaker
03-04-2006, 12:38 AM
Get Well Bruce...I understand about the bowling. The pic looks like your left hand. You lefties are really tough bowlers.

Hope you have a full recovery.

Vaughn McMillan
03-04-2006, 4:54 AM
Sorry to hear of the accident, but glad to see it wasn't any worse. Thanks for the reminder to stay on our toes even after the cut's done. Here's hoping you have a speedy and complete recovery, and are back in the shop and on the lanes soon. I can empathise about the bowling team...I left a pool team stranded mid-season a few years ago after an accident. The substitute player they got was not quite up to par.

Regarding the thumbprint thing...ya know, if ever there was a time to change identities, this is it. You could even change your name to something that's easier to spell...like Bob. :D

Get well soon -

- Vaughn

Karl Laustrup
03-04-2006, 5:01 AM
I hope you have a faster than normal recovery, Bruce. A situation just like this is why I'm curtailing my WW'ing until the house is completed.

Karl

Richard Gillespie
03-04-2006, 8:56 AM
Bruce;

I hope your recovery is faster than you expect. You have given us a reminder on TS safety, one that should be frequently repeated. Yes, I've made the same "STUPID" mistake years ago, not that saying that will make you feel any better about it.

Rick

Matt Meiser
03-04-2006, 9:57 AM
Bruce, sorry to hear about your accident. Speaking from experience, you'll probably be able to get back to things quicker than you first think.

John Miliunas
03-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Ooooooooooooooooo....Scary!!! :eek: Thanks for the "reminder" and please accept my wishes for a quick and thorough recovery!!! Thumb injuries, in particular, really are quite disabling. Hey, OTOH, maybe you can get a temporary handicap tag and park in those "special" spots while you sprint into the store.....???? :o Take care of yourself, Bruce! :) :cool:

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-04-2006, 3:55 PM
Thanks folks. I hope you're right.

YOU ARE BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, John.

Bruc

Ron Jones near Indy
03-04-2006, 4:02 PM
Also wishing you a speedy reocovery! Thanks for another reminder to work safely! Too bad you didn't find a less drastic way to do it.

Scott Vigder
03-04-2006, 6:22 PM
No bowling? Hey, do it righty AND you can still have a beer!

Joe Pelonio
03-04-2006, 7:38 PM
Bruce,

Hopefully the pain doesn't stop you from enjoying a little rest for a few days, and it heals quickly. I'm still shy about using my compound miter saw after an incident a few years ago, when I had a kickback and the board broke my hand. Still have a screw in the bone and a scar to remind me to be more careful.

Jerry Olexa
03-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Hope you have a quick recovery. Let it heal. Don't rush it..

Peter Stahl
03-05-2006, 6:08 PM
Yeah Bruce that was really stupid, join the club. By the way I'm the president of doing stupid things club for Men, Welcome! Hope your hands heals quickly!

Joe Unni
03-05-2006, 6:33 PM
Bruce,

Sorry! Heal fast - be well and most importantly...

...to all of us

Safety First!

-joe

Robert Mickley
03-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Don't feel to bad Bruce, I've pulled some good ones. I've had a couple things come out of the lathe :rolleyes: And I once manged to get 3 of my fingers in betweeen 2 25,000# coils of steel, that left two fingers almost completely severed at the first joint. Good thing I had a great surgeon.

Heal quick man, practice for next year theres always another $1000 pot to win.