PDA

View Full Version : Elise's First Pen

John Hart
03-03-2006, 9:34 PM
Tonight, I devoted all my time to teaching my 10 year old daughter Elise how to turn a pen. She watched me carefully while I turned one m'self and listened to all my precautions. Then I let her go!:eek:

It was fun. She decided that she wanted to turn a Chrome American Flat Top using the Red, White & Blue Laminations that Ken Hertzog graciously gave me today on a visit. There were some scary moments with the skew and there were a couple of blowouts...but in the end, she did exceptionally well and it only took a couple hours. She went slow and easy...light cuts...paid attention to her hand positions and in the end, was a very very happy camper!!!:)

Michael Stafford
03-03-2006, 9:38 PM
I would say she did a wonderful job. Excellent Elise!!! Now if that horse would just show up.....:D

Travis Stinson
03-03-2006, 9:41 PM
That's wonderful John. Elise, Congratulations on a very beautiful pen.:cool:
Think it's time for your own lathe now.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Fantastic pen Elise!

I've been trying to help you out kiddo and you don't know it!

Daddy I want a palomino!

Corey Hallagan
03-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Awesome work dad and Elsie, you did a great job!

Corey

Kenneth Hertzog
03-03-2006, 10:33 PM
John looks like Elise did a fine job. I know first hand how hard it is to turn that acrylic. She earned every penny of it. Hope she enjoys it
ken
slippery rock, pa

Ernie Nyvall
03-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Wow John, you must be a proud papa. Elise, your first pen is an American Flat Top!!! I'm impressed. Heck I had to do a package of slimlines before I attempted one of those and then it didn't come out as nice as yours. Very nice job. I believe you have a knack for turning. Congratulations!!!

Ernie

Jim Dunn
03-03-2006, 11:05 PM
WOW is all I can say, course with a teacher like you I'd not expect less. She did a real good job dad, you should be proud.

Bill Stevener
03-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Hi Elise,

Seen how's this is your thread Elise, I'll address this to you.

Now your either one quick learner, or your dad is one good teacher. But, as you were the one that turned the pen, I think the odds are in your favor.

That is one very nice looking pen Elise, one to always be proud of. Now, the first thing I see that you need is a face shield that doesn't look like an umpires chest plate, your dad needs to take you shopping. :D

I sure like your new pen,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-03-2006, 11:07 PM
HA HA........................ Another one slips down the the slippery slope. Great JOB. Beautiful PEN!

BTW DAD, you better watch out or you won't be able to get near the lathe!

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Elise that is a beautiful pen. You should be proud. I think dad is well maybe just a little proud. Way to go Elise and John.

John I think I can see another lathe on the horizon.

Curt Fuller
03-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Beautiful daughter, beautiful pen, and what a great dad!

Jim Ketron
03-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Super Job Elise!
Beautiful Pen!
Now your Dad is just going to have to let you have some time on the lathe:D

Dennis Peacock
03-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Beautiful Pen Elise..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did real good. Now you can take over that mean ol' lathe from daddy so he won't hurt himself any more.:rolleyes: :p :D

Now....where's that horse that supposed to be in there with ya?????:confused: :rolleyes: :D

Andy Hoyt
03-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Way to go, Elise! The judges have just reported in; and you win! A perfect 10!

Did you guys note that she sat right down in the middle of those shavings for the photo op? Wonder what kind of yucky icky creepy crawlies are lurking in there? My kinda gal!

Paul Douglass
03-04-2006, 12:03 AM
My daughter and I use to do woodworking together. Greatest memories of my life and I'm sure they are fond ones for her also.

Beautiful pen, job well done.............

Dick Strauss
03-04-2006, 12:30 AM
Now how many kids her age can say they made their own pen that looks that cool? John and Elise should be very proud of their accomplishment!

Gary Herrmann
03-04-2006, 1:08 AM
Wow. Very well done, Elise. I hope my first pen turns out that well.

Good goin, Dad.

Barry Stratton
03-04-2006, 2:39 AM
Great job Elise. Your dad is obviously one of the best. Just think of all the fun you two can have together if he buys you a Jet mini?

WAY TO GO!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-04-2006, 4:03 AM
Great Job!!

I too home my first pen is as nice!

John, as a father of daughters myself, isn't it great that daughters take after their mothers ;) :D

Have a Great day!!

Bob Noles
03-04-2006, 6:14 AM
Hi Elise,

Like everyone here has already said, that is a beautiful pen you turned. I have turned dozens of pens now, yet I'm still a newbie, and you have made a nicer first pen than any in all of my dozens. Maybe I should just return to flat work :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I just wanted to tell you that you made a nice pen. Ask Dad if maybe you can make the pens for the troops instead of him :D We are all afraid he might hurt himself if you let him near that lathe again :eek:

Make some more now Elise and post the pictures for us to enjoy.

Ed Scolforo
03-04-2006, 6:19 AM
Elise, Great pen! Pretty soon you'll be showing up Dad on a regular basis!
Ed

Glenn Clabo
03-04-2006, 8:43 AM
Great pen Elise!
I assume that great smile you have is not just because you were so proud of your first pen...it was caused by your goofy dad...right?

Tim Beauregard
03-04-2006, 9:03 AM
Congrats !!
I am so impressed that she has the patience and desire and wish my 11 year old son would show some of that.

Regards,
Tim B.

Jim Becker
03-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Elise did a mighty fine job on that pen, John!! Wonderful! One of these days, I'll try to get Nastia (also age 10) on the lathe, but it's not time for that yet...

John Miliunas
03-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Wonderful job on the pen, Elise!!! John, she done you proud, I'd say! :D Heck, even at age 29 :eek: , I've got a hard time making something that nice!!!:rolleyes: :D :cool:

Rich Stewart
03-04-2006, 11:38 AM
That is one beautiful pen Elise. My son made some and all the kids at school wanted one too. He was selling them to his classmates. Since they were his first pens he sold them for like a dollar over cost. There are quite a few of his pens in daily use at the local high school. Keep it up.

John, you might want to consider another lathe if she keeps it up. Hahaha

John Hart
03-04-2006, 8:33 PM
Thanks everyone!! Elise would like to say a few words. Elise?..

thank you everyone! I'm looking forward to make another pen soon. And I'll send you nice pitchers when I do.;) Elise.

Bill Stevener
03-04-2006, 8:43 PM
Thank You Elise for showing your work. I do hope you show us all of your nice work.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Keith Burns
03-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Wat to go Elise, way to go John. You guys make a great pair:) :) Great job on the pen Elsie:) :) :)

Dale Thompson
03-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Elise,
Try to be VERY diplomatic when you ask your dad to step aside and make room for a REAL pro! :) It will not be easy but I think that it is time. ;)

BEAUTIFUL PEN, ELISE!! :)

Dale T. (The guy from the Peshtigo Fire)