PDA

View Full Version : A New House - Update #2 - Short, With Pix

Andy Hoyt
03-03-2006, 9:00 PM
I concluded the first thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32277) after I showed a couple of posts having been set. So now let's move forward to a bit later on in the process.
Okay - So now all eight 8x12 posts have been set along with 6x10 plates (along the two eaves) and 8x10 Collar Ties running across the width of the structure. Just like in Karl's house, one has to keep everything plumb and square, hence the pipe clamp. The location of each of the four Collar Ties represents a "Bent" which is a structural element forming the shape of the building. In this project there are two gable bents and two interior bents. In the real world a bent is ordinarily fully assembled on the deck and raised by a crane or four hundred of your closest friends. Since I have neither, I do it a bit differently. End result is all the same as you'll see shortly.
This is a dry fit of Bent 4 just to make sure everything will fit right and line up correctly. So far so good!
One more dry fit. Nothing above the plate line has yet to be permanently installed. This shot was taken last night.
Okay! Now we move along to mid-afternoon today. The King Posts - which support the Ridge Beam; the Struts - which support the Principal Rafters at mid run; the Purlins - which will support the (yet to be installed) Common Rafters have now all been permanently set. So have eighteen short curved kneebraces. Turned out pretty good. No spilled ice cream or blood, but I was swearing up a storm with the Purlins - fussy big buggers with their kneebraces.
Another shot with all the clamps, and stuff removed for the photo op.

I have three more shots to post. Hang loose for a minute

Andy Hoyt
03-03-2006, 9:09 PM
Continuing onward.

Now comes the fun part as I get to set rafters. I mass produce them on the seat cut at the plate and then scribe the top end to perfectly end six inches beyond the Ridge Beam. Cut the tenon for the bridle joint and set it.
Moving along. This goes pretty quick. But it's been a long day,so I stopped here at about 8 PM this evening. Makes for an easy morning tomorrow wherein I don't have to think too hard to complete the entire roof.
One last shot, just because it looks cool.

Okay, that's it. I'm going inside for some English Toffee and Macadamia Nut.

Dick Parr
03-03-2006, 9:19 PM
Wow Andy, that really looks neat. You have more patients then I do. More power to ya.

Can't wait to see more pictures of it as it progress's.

Jerry Clark
03-03-2006, 9:28 PM
Andy, thanks for the step-by-step building the scale model--really interesting. I really like the timber frame construction. :D All I have is Vanilla Bean-- Oh well that will have to do!:cool:

George Kretschmann
03-03-2006, 9:31 PM
Can't ever have enough clamps, looks really good..:)

Jim Young
03-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Hey Andy, Is that a Oneway I see stuffed in the corner? You lucky dog.

Bruce Page
03-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Boy, that is some really clear lumber. :rolleyes:

I can't wait for "A New House - Update #36 - Short, With Pix" :)

Jim Dunn
03-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Once again Andy, real cool. Very professional like!

Jim

Dennis Peacock
03-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Very nice Andy!!!! I'd like to be able to make something like that for the LOML!!!!

Andy Hoyt
03-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Thanks all.

Jim - Yup, that's a Oneway. Her name is Janine.

Bruce - Just #2 Eastern White Pine. But I saw out all but the tiniest of knots. If I'm smart and not too impatient while at the lumber yard I can get about sixty to sevety percent yield. This is far less expensive than buying C Select up front. But that said I'll sometime install one timber with a really big ugly knot in it and place it in a visible but unobtrusive spot in the frame just to call atttention to the lack of defects elsewhere.

Karl Laustrup
03-04-2006, 5:20 AM
That is so kewel Andy. I am so enjoying this. Looking forward to tomorrows update. :)

Karl

Glenn Clabo
03-04-2006, 8:13 AM
This is fun to watch Andy. I was once (stress once) asked to make a ship model from plans of a new Minesweeper when I first got out of the Navy. I needed the money...so I did it...but it was sooo much harder than I thought it would be.

John Miliunas
03-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks all.

Jim - Yup, that's a Oneway. Her name is Janine.

Yikes!!! I used to know a girl named Janine. If that thar spinny thing is anything like the Janine I used to know, then you're in for a ..... Oooops! Never mind!:rolleyes:

As for the house, it's way cool! At this rate, you're going to catch up to Karl's GC!!! :D :cool:

Jerry Olexa
03-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Nice work. Looking good. Thanks for showing..

Ron Fritz
03-05-2006, 8:44 PM
Andy; thank you for sharing. Very interesting process. Keep the pictures coming!