PDA

View Full Version : Help dealing w/ Walnut Stump

Jim VanBramer
03-03-2006, 7:28 PM
I posted a picture of this in a wood gloat yesterday, but now I need your guys' advice. http://home.earthlink.net/~vanbramers/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/blackwalnut3.jpg Is it true that some of the best wood from a black walnut tree is in the stump/root ball? I've heard that's where they get the wood for gun stocks, etc., but I've never actually known anyone that's done it. How does one go about handling something like this to best utilize what's in there? The friends I've talked to just want to cut it up into bowl blanks (which would be good as well) but if there's some nice lumber down there I definitely want to capitalize on it. I have access to a good sawyer, but I don't know if he's ever cut one of these up either. If anybody out there has ever done this, or has knowledge of how it's best done please tell! Thanks.

Jim

Ian Abraham
03-03-2006, 8:01 PM
Hi Jim

Some of the most 'interesting' wood can be from the walnut stumps, but it can be a pig to get at. All the dirt and maybe small rocks embedded in the root ball can play havoc with your chainsaw / sawmill.
First thing you need to do is get a pressure washer, axe, pointy sticks etc and remove as much dirt and small roots as possible.
Then have a good look at what you have. Personally I'd then split it in 1/2 with a chainsaw (preferably someone elses :o ) and see whats inside. Then you can look at the grain and decide if it's worth sawing into slabs on a bandmill or just carrying on with the chainsaw and making a stack of turning blocks.
Keep in mind you might kill some bandsaw blades if there is rocks or other rubbish embedded in the roots.

There might be buried treasure in there, but you may also end up wet, muddy and get a lot of practice at saw sharpening getting it out :D

Cheers

Ian

Steve Clardy
03-03-2006, 8:08 PM
Stumps are a lot of work. I've done it before.
And the end result isn't the best.
Best to cut into chunks for bowls, etc.
I milled up some 3/4 material off of a walnut stump once. It went everywhere, every direction.
Most gun stocks come from the crotches, not the stumps.

Bruce Volden
03-04-2006, 9:32 AM
Personally I'd then split it in 1/2 with a chainsaw (preferably someone elses :o ) and see whats inside.

No you may not borrow any of my tools young man;)>

Bruce

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
03-04-2006, 10:17 AM
I've seen walnut root burls eight feet across. Those are really valuable. The Japanese and others were really heavy into buying those about tewnty-five years ago. They made them into veneers and pistol grips as well as other assorted products. I sold a few root burls back then but none over four feet in diameter. A neighbor a couple of miles away had a row of big walnut trees with huge root burls. They could only get three of them on a big flatbed. He made out like a bandit when he sold those burls, but I woul never have allowed those grand old trees to be cut down for any amount of money.