PDA

View Full Version : Nickel Plated Project

Carla Lange
03-03-2006, 6:51 PM
I had a customer ask if I could engrave onto his nickel plated parts. I've never tried, and he doesn't have samples to try out first. I thought I would ask the experts. Any thoughts?
Thanks,

Carla

Joe Pelonio
03-03-2006, 7:29 PM
Sounds like a cermark application.

Jeff Lehman
03-03-2006, 9:22 PM
I dont know what type of machine u have, but Universal Laser has a new optics package (see text below) I know it doesnt really answer your question....

Universal Laser Systems, Inc. announces the availability of High Power Density Focusing Optics™ (HPDFO) for its Professional Series and VersaLaser systems.

Especially appealing to customers will be the ability to scribe and/or etch directly on some uncoated metals, such as stainless steel, without using marking compounds.

Carla Lange
03-04-2006, 9:56 AM
Guess I'll get some Cermark and play around with it.
Thanks for the help.

Carla

Gary Shoemake
03-04-2006, 10:55 PM
Hi
I was just at the ARA show in Las Vegas and observed a demo of the new lens. It does mark on bare metal, however it leaves a burnished type of mark, readable but nothing I would call fine engraving detail. The process that I saw used a piece of matte finished stainless and was fairly slow. The beam size is reportedly .001 of an inch.
Just a FYI Horizons Company the makers of Alumamark are planned to bring out an exterior version of that product within the next 6 months.