PDA

View Full Version : another damaged GO490

Craig Zettle
03-03-2006, 6:12 PM
Took delivery thursday of a GO490 jointer, and it too had the dreaded bent motor supports, as well as a bent rear base cover. Thought about just trying to bend it straight and seeing if I coudn't get a credit toward my next purchase, which is a 20" planer. The folks at Grizzly said they would issue me a $25 credit, or replace the bent cabinet. Since it seemed to me that shipping a replacement cabinet and return shipping for the damaged one was worth more than 25 bucks (not to mention setting up, tearing down, repacking, and setting up the jointer again), I chose the replacement. They also took my credit card number just in case I decided to keep the damaged cabinet (how did they know I collect those things?)
Sorry guys, I am just not feeling the love right now.
I am heading to the basement now to clean off the cosmoline and take a look at the heavy part. I am still excited, even if Grizzly doesn't want to play "let's make a deal".

Howard Norman
03-03-2006, 7:11 PM
of damaged G0490 stands. I wonder what the percentage is of damaged stands on this first shipment of the G0490 jointers? Grizzly took care of me well once i got their attention on my damaged stand. I trust they will do the same for you. I have mine running now and it functions like it is supposed to function.

Howard

Allen Bookout
03-03-2006, 7:15 PM
I was one of the lucky ones with no damage to the motor mounts but was just wondering how long you guys with bent bases are going to have to wait to get new ones delivered? Did they address that situation?

I know that it is really hard when you are having to wait to have things put right. At least Grizzly is tending to the problem and it has to be eating into their profit.

Allen

P.S. Glad you got yours going Howard!

Howard Norman
03-03-2006, 7:57 PM
It took exactly one week after I notified Grizzly about the damaged stand to get a replacement stand. Of course, I posted here and elsewhere about the problem and Rick Romberg, the PA GM, called me the next day and things started moving very quickly then.

Howard

Rob Blaustein
03-03-2006, 8:38 PM
I got mine last night and then emailed Bill Crofutt about the bent struts. He called me today and immediately got the ball rolling to send out a replacement base--without the motor. I will remove the motor from the current base and put it into the new one. Basically we're buying a new machine and we're beta testing in a sense. It is understandable that these things occur--I'm not thrilled because it eats into my time, but how they handle it says a lot about a company. So far, it sounds like they're doing a nice job.

Jim O'Dell
03-03-2006, 8:39 PM
With all the talk about the cabinet motor mount damage, and the thought that the cabinets must be turning over on their sides during shipping, thus causing the problem, I had a thought. Maybe Shiraz will read this and implement if feasable. Aren't there indicators that can be put on the shipping container that will show if it has been anything but upright during the shipment? Kind of a one time thing that can't be tampered with? I'd be interested in knowing too, if all the damaged ones came out of the same shipping container from overseas. Are the serial numbers tracked per shipping container? Could it be that the damage isn't being done by the domestic shippers, but by the overseas shipping? Now if the units are being inspected once Griz gets them stateside, and they are fine, then end up damaged after they get to the end user, then that would rule out the overseas shippers.
I want one of these jointers. I would vote for bolting the motor down to the cabinet somehow and the end user installing it at it's final location. Jim.
(Man, that's a lot of questions !!:D )

Allen Bookout
03-03-2006, 9:33 PM
I would vote for bolting the motor down to the cabinet somehow and the end user installing it at it's final location. Jim.
(Man, that's a lot of questions !!:D )
I would also Jim but I remember Shiraz Balolia saying, in another thread, that they had tried that in the past on some other machines and the customers were complaining about having to install the motors. I guess that you cannot win for loseing.

Allen

Michael Disorbo
03-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Sorry to hear about the problems with the struts. I find it hard to believe that Grizzly would tie that 2x4 in that cabinet on already bent struts. I am sure when they attached it they checked to make sure they were not bent so I assume that the damage is coming from the trucking companies. When I picked mine up at Muncy it had the 2x4 strapped in there and everything was great. You could see the box had been opened and then resealed. I think the only solution to the problem would be either beef up them rails or attach the motor to a pallet under the base. If you were to put arrows on the box stating which way it was to be shipped, the trucking companies would ignore it anyway.

I can say that I have made enough money with mine this week that I will be heading to Muncy soon to pick up my new 15" or 20" planer. Shiraz, do you have it gift wrapped yet?

Michael