PDA

View Full Version : Tool Choice?

Dan Bussiere
08-04-2003, 11:18 AM
Hi All,
I have a chance to pick up a new tool this week, and I have narrowed it down to two. Need your help in deciding which one to purchase.

Delta Mortiser RW14651 $269

Delta Air Cleaning System RW50875 $269

I already have a mortising setup for my drill, but it is difficult to set up and I was looking forward to getting a dedicated one that doesn't take a gorilla to use. I also have a decent dust collection system and think the filtration system would round it out nicely.

Kind of like the devil on one shoulder saying "get the mortiser, you'll love it" and the angel on the other saying "but the air filtration system is better for you".

Dust isn't a real problem in my workshop, but it's whats unseen that hurts as far as dust is concerned. If I had the mortiser, I would probably do more M/T work instead of finding other ways to avoid it.

See my dilemma?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Doug Jones
08-04-2003, 11:23 AM
Being one of the new kids on this block here, based on those two choices I'd go with the mortiser. Sell the drill set up mortiser and put that money away for a down payment on your filteration system later.

Mike Evertsen
08-04-2003, 12:11 PM
go for the mortiser open the door and window for clean air,,,,,

Bob Lasley
08-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Dan,

If it were me, I'd go for the mortiser. They are much more fun than an air filter. I know, I know........one's health is much more important than having fun making square holes, but............. Let me say that I have a mortiser and no air filter. I keep intending to build a filter, but I'm having too much fun cutting square holes!! ;)

Bob

Steve Clardy
08-04-2003, 5:19 PM
My tool nut brain tells me I would go with the mortiser. Steve

Allan Johanson
08-04-2003, 5:27 PM
Mortiser.

Buy/build a better DC unit to capture more of the dust at the source. Those ceiling mounted air filters can actually cause more harm than good if you put it in the wrong place. You may actually end up standing in the dust-laden air stream and would have been better off without one!

Allan

Dan Bussiere
08-06-2003, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the responses! I think I will go with the mortiser as suggested. I can always justify the filtration system later for Christmas, etc to LOML. I was leaning toward the filtration system but really wanted the mortiser. Glad to know I am not the only one who thinks that way. By the way, some of your responses where a hoot (Bob). I guess this is why I love this forum and rely on you all so much. If I could just get some help now cleaning up the shop!
Dan

Bart Leetch
08-06-2003, 2:17 PM
I'd go for the mortiser too but it would be the Shopfox. Its bigger heavier & if set close to the end of your bench you can turn the head out over the floor if you need clearance. It has a nice long handle & a 3/4 hp motor.

I have one they work great.