PDA

View Full Version : Drill Doctor

Byron Trantham
03-03-2006, 12:56 PM
I received a 3/4" Drill Doctor for Christmas. I finally got around to using it yesterday. Boy I am impressed. I watched the video and had the feeling the thing was going to be a hassle to use. No way. After the first couple of bits, I had the procedure down. I sharpened about 20 bits in an hour. I also have three cobalt, split point bits that sharpened nicely. The split point feature of the machine is nice and easy to do. If you're thinking about buying one, I think you will love the results.

Vaughn McMillan
03-03-2006, 1:10 PM
I second your findings. A lot of my drill bits are hand-me-down twist bits, so I've just gotten in the habit of running a bit through the Drill Doctor every time I get ready to use it. Only takes a few seconds, and it's nice not having to deal with dull twist drill bits again.

- Vaughn

Byron Trantham
03-03-2006, 1:16 PM
I second your findings. A lot of my drill bits are hand-me-down twist bits, so I've just gotten in the habit of running a bit through the Drill Doctor every time I get ready to use it. Only takes a few seconds, and it's nice not having to deal with dull twist drill bits again.

- Vaughn

Vaugh, it's really nice to run into a tool that does exactly what it is designed to do with out a lot of fuss.:p

Scott Donley
03-03-2006, 2:31 PM
Amazon has the basic 500 for 64.00 after a 10.00 rebate with "free shipping" for those looking.:)

Rob Blaustein
03-03-2006, 8:42 PM
It was indespensible for me recently when I had to drill through my steel rails and cast iron extension wing on my TS. I have a so-so quality collection of bits and just kept sharpening them--each time they would really cut nicely through the hard stuff, until they needed sharpening of course. The funny thing is it took me a while to remember that I had it and that a dull bit might be why I was having a tough time going through the steel. It does take a little practice, but once you get it down, it's a great device.

Greg Koch
03-03-2006, 9:10 PM
I have a ton of bits of all sizes I got from my Dad. Which model would you recommend? Amazon has dozens of models shown, HD show the XP2 for $99.

Thanks

Greg

Randy Denby
03-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Ya'll must have a different Drill Doctor than me. Mine does alright towards the edge...but basically ruins the starter point. I dont get it!

Bruce Page
03-04-2006, 12:10 AM
I got one for Christmas a couple of years ago. I sharpend a bunch of bits with it just to see how it works. It does a great job, but I still sharpen my bits by hand - hard to teach an old dog new tricks. :o

Vaughn McMillan
03-04-2006, 2:11 AM
Greg, I have the DD500PK 3/32" - 1/2"...Amazon has it for about $80. It's served my needs well, since I don't have any twist drills bigger than 1/2". (It doesn't sharpen Forstner bits.) I noticed today that All Pro Tools has the DD750X on sale for about $100 (after rebates). It appears to be a newer model (with more features and capacity up to 3/4"). I think any of them are better than what you're using now. ;)

- Vaughn

Brad Kimbrell
03-04-2006, 2:27 AM
These things are exactly as you said....nice to see a tool do what it's supposed to do. I got one for my father and he keeps buying flea market bits just so he has more to sharpen!

He bought 100 of the same 1/2" bits a few weeks ago! :eek: He's hooked.

John Lannon
03-04-2006, 2:58 AM
Great post guys! I have been seeing the info-commercials about these and was wondering if they were worth buying.

John Longwitz
03-04-2006, 4:00 AM
...been putting off getting one but combined with a smaller purchase and got the $30 off promo so was less than $100 + free ship. Learning curve is very short. Included DVD helped with that. Works every bit as good as promoted. This one's a winner!

lou sansone
03-04-2006, 5:34 AM
I have sharpened bit by hand for years. the drill doctor does a better jobe and more consistant than you can do by hand. it is bone simple to use as well

lou

Bill Ryall
03-04-2006, 7:50 AM
Ditto. I have had the 3/4" for about a year and it is one of those tools I wonder how I ever lived without. I never could get the hang of sharpening drill bits by hand, so it has been a lifesaver.

Bill R.

Karl Laustrup
03-04-2006, 7:57 AM
Yep, great tool. I usually sharpen a bit just before I'm going to use it. Fast and easy.

My $1.398 worth. :D

Karl

Byron Trantham
03-04-2006, 9:42 AM
Ya'll must have a different Drill Doctor than me. Mine does alright towards the edge...but basically ruins the starter point. I dont get it!

Randy, PM me and I might be able to help you. I had a similar problem in the begining and figured out the solution. It's the setup stage that needs to be done correctly to achieve the point.

Bruce Page
03-04-2006, 7:20 PM
I have sharpened bit by hand for years. the drill doctor does a better jobe and more consistant than you can do by hand. it is bone simple to use as well

lou
Lou, I have to disagree with you on this one. The DD sharpens just as well (maybe) but not better, not if you know what you’re doing. Don’t get me wrong, I like the DD and it’s a great machine for people that don’t know how to hand sharpen, but I can sharpen 3 or 4 bits in the time it takes me to pull the DD out of the cabinet and plug it in.

Vaughn McMillan
03-04-2006, 7:39 PM
Lou, I have to disagree with you on this one. The DD sharpens just as well (maybe) but not better, not if you know what you’re doing. Don’t get me wrong, I like the DD and it’s a great machine for people that don’t know how to hand sharpen, but I can sharpen 3 or 4 bits in the time it takes me to pull the DD out of the cabinet and plug it in.
Ya gotta admit though Bruce, you're kind of in a league of your own (or at least in the All-Stars) when it come to doing the metal stuff. :p To us mortals the DD sure is handy. ;)

- Vaughn

Bruce Page
03-04-2006, 9:12 PM
Ya gotta admit though Bruce, you're kind of in a league of your own (or at least in the All-Stars) when it come to doing the metal stuff. :p To us mortals the DD sure is handy. ;)

- Vaughn

LOL! I wish that were true!
I did spend 2 full weeks on cutter sharpening during my moldmaker apprenticeship. They probably don't even teach that anymore. :(