PDA

View Full Version : Fired up the G0490 Last Night

Scott Coffelt
03-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Well, I finally got the wiring complete and decided to fire up the G0490 last night for the first time. I still need to finish the ducting this weekend before I actually run a board through for a test cut. I'll post pictures once it is done for those who care.

First thing, I'll admit I am an idiot. I get everything all hooked up and hit the green start switch nothing. Check another tool int he outlet to see if something was wired wrong. It fires up. Replug the G0490 in and try again. Still nothing. Start checking all the wires, nothing out of place. Read manual, again nothing sinking in.... look at switch.... Why does the red knob have arrows on it. Turn the knob and it pops out.... try again... it works. What a dumarse.

I installed a link belt, but anyways this thing is much louder than my Jet 6". I think the 4 blades and the more power sure makes it howl. It sounds like a major machine.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Congrats on the new tool Scott. Besure to report back after you've had a chance to use it. It's on the short list for my shop!

Chris Fite
03-03-2006, 3:45 PM
Why does the red knob have arrows on it.
That was why my bandsaw did not work at first.

Andy London
03-03-2006, 5:38 PM
I just bought the Canadian version of this jointer KC80 FX, super quiet and smooth.....I had that switch problem drive me crazy years ago on a cabinetsaw cause the instructions didn't say anything about turning the red knob with the arrow:D

Just finished putting it together last evening and have Shelix head on the way from Bryd.

Barry O'Mahony
03-03-2006, 6:21 PM
Why does the red knob have arrows on it. Turn the knob and it pops out.... try again... it works. What a dumarse. LOL, I had the same thing happen with my G9860 when I got it. I guess the Grizzly tech writers assume this is self-evident, but it's apparently not for some of us.

Another issue I had was that the thermal overload was off when I got it, and had to be reset. That involved unscrewing the panel the switches are mounted on, and hitting the reset button.

Scott Vigder
03-03-2006, 7:00 PM
I put my G0490 together today and got to the point where I fired it up and it ran! The belt looked a little wobbly, so I tightened it up by dropping the motor. Turned it on and it ran for two seconds. Then it stopped. Turned it back on, and it ran! Then it stopped. Turned it on for another two seconds, it stopped. Hmmmm. Tried a third time and it kept running! Could I have maybe had the belt too tight?

Finally rigged up the dust collection and ran a thick piece of cheery thru. No shavings. DUH I properly set the outfeed table but I hadn't adjusted the infeed table at all. Easy enough. Cranked the infeed a wee bit and was jointing away!!

I have a little line down the middle of the board, so I need to figure out what needs adjusting.

All in all I found it to run very quietly. What a rock-solid unit! Installing the fence was fun (!), and I think I got lucky because it doesn't scrape the table and it sat right up at 90 degrees.

Good luck firing it up!

Scott Coffelt
03-03-2006, 11:02 PM
I am sure the noise is associated with the link belt, kind of a whistle. Don't get me wrong, I have no issues witht he noise just louder than the smaller 6" which was expected.

As I am writing this it just occured to me that I may have put the link on backwards. I believe it has arrows as to which way the link should turn. I'll flip it around tomorrow and see.

Got in too much of a hurry I guess.

Mine is super smooth that's sure. I am sure it will easily pass the nickel test.

Russ Massery
03-04-2006, 4:16 PM
Scott, The noise your hearing might be the belt rubbing the washer that holds the fence. I just installed a link belt on mine. It made a huge difference in the vibration. I took the washer over to the sander an put a small flat on one side so the belt clears it.

Scott Coffelt
03-05-2006, 12:50 AM
It's actually a higher pitch whistle, I think it is just the holes in the link belt. FYI, it was on correctly.

I did make some test cuts today. I had to lower the outfeed a smudge, but she cuts like a dream. I ran some curly cherry through it with ease and smooth cuts. I know I ma going to love it.

I meant to take pics today, but got busy on breaking down my 6x48 edge sander for some cleaning and repainting.

Scott Coffelt
03-05-2006, 11:32 PM
OK here are some shots of my mid-sized aircraft carrier. It fits, barely, I have about 20" between my DC stack (not seen) for my TS and the infeed table. I just can't back up or I get a blast gate in my back. I still have enough room to move though. No more tools for me at least the big kind as I am now maxed out.

I also threw in a couple of pics of the damage I got with the base. The back panel was bowed in, I requested another even though I could easily bend it back. The front took a fork lift into and it is toast.

One last thing, the little China dude working on my jointer must have been drunk as several of the stickers where upside down. I had to take them off and reapply. I think I will call Grizzly this week and ask for some new ones as I know they will not stick for long.

Jeff Watson
03-06-2006, 6:39 AM
Scott,
Could you describe how you did your 6" inch dust fitting. Is that just a piece of plywood with a piece of plastic pipe epoxied in? Looks like a good modification to make.
thanks

Scott Coffelt
03-06-2006, 4:52 PM
It is a piece of MDF, that I cut a hole in, then took a HVAC starter collar and screwed that to the inside of the hole. I caulked everything real good. I also have a band of doubleback tape around the outside to fill any gaps between the MDF and the base. So far it seems like it works. I used the port that came with the G0490 for a template on the holes and where to have the 6" hole start.