PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Restoration Report

Jack Hoying
03-03-2006, 7:45 AM
I picked up a 1971 Delta/Rockwell 28-200 bandsaw last Saturday at a public auction. There was some rust on the base and cast top, paint splatters all over and a couple bearings were worn. I completely dissembled every part and cleaned and painted all of it. All bearings were replaced, as well as the tires and drive belt (went with a link belt) I got it reassembled tonight and it works great. Quite a step up from my old Craftsman.
For paint, I used Krylon spray cans (1608 Smoke Gray Gloss and 1606 Pewter Gray Gloss)
I still want to add a mobile base and an extension to the tension adjustment knob shaft. Here's a photo that I took tonight. (5 days after purchase)
http://users.adelphia.net/%7Ejmhoying/bandsaw700w.jpg

Karl Laustrup
03-03-2006, 7:57 AM
FIVE DAYS??? You are very quick Jack. That is a real nice restoration. No before pictures?

Karl

Jack Hoying
03-03-2006, 8:06 AM
FIVE DAYS??? You are very quick Jack. That is a real nice restoration. No before pictures?

Karl
Karl,
The only before photo that I have was taken at the auction, and it doesn't show much detail.
http://users.adelphia.net/%7Ejmhoying/bandsaw.jpg
Jack

Julio Navarro
03-03-2006, 8:40 AM
wow!!

What was the most difficult part? Did you do anything to the interior? How about some pictures?

I was looking at one but it looks kinda iffy, heres a pic of it, what do you think, can it be saved?

Jack Hoying
03-03-2006, 8:55 AM
wow!!

What was the most difficult part? Did you do anything to the interior? How about some pictures?

I was looking at one but it looks kinda iffy, heres a pic of it, what do you think, can it be saved?

That one is definitely older than mine and I was even looking at it myself, because of the extension parts alone. Hard to say what kind of condition everything is in. Detroit isn't that long of drive for me, but I really don't need it all that badly.
As for prices for repairs, I bought a set of bearings for the main shaft on mine locally and they were $26.00 each. Apparently after 1974 they went with a more standardized bearing. Upper bearings and guide bearings are another $35.00 or so. A set of tires are $25.00. If the motor isn't working, that could be another $100.00 or so.
Jack

Bill Simmeth
03-03-2006, 9:02 AM
Jack,

Very nice job on that restoration, and fast to boot! It should provide nice service in return.

Julio, you seem to have a real band saw jones going on! I'm PMing you a link to a used saw much closer to you than Detroit!

Matt Day
03-03-2006, 9:17 AM
Where do you guys find these old saws? I got lucky and picked up a similar Rockwell from a fellow SMC memeber, but I've search Craigslist and a few other online lists and these rarely come up.

Are there auction sites (other than Ebay) that I'm not aware of? Even if I am not going to buy, I sure like to browse!

Julio Navarro
03-03-2006, 9:24 AM
Julio, you seem to have a real band saw jones going on! I'm PMing you a link to a used saw much closer to you than Detroit!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
You got that right, its the only tool I need to complete my shop. I will be using expensive wood so I need a saw that will resaw rough stock to thin usable thicknesses and veneers. Finding the right saw at a reasonable price is becoming a daunting task. Then, given the proximety issue of shipping/picking up its just very confussing. But I have found endless advice and help here at SMC and tolerance for countless newbee questions.

Thanks for the link BTW, Bill. I am lookin ginto it now.

Jim Becker
03-03-2006, 9:32 AM
Beautiful restoration, Jack! I'd love to find something like that for my shop to use for scrolling...but haven't run into anything. (I shoulda' kept my Jet 14" for that when I bought the big saw, but was concerned with the space)

Josh Goldsmith
03-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Nice Job! I just got done restoring a planer from the 80's and after you get done you value your new toy alot more than if you bought it. Anyone can buy a tool but few choose to restore them. Again Very Nice Job. Check out my resto. It is a few posts up called "Before and After Pics"

lou sansone
03-03-2006, 12:44 PM
great looking saw.. gee real metal knobs and all that.. what will they think of next :D

how do you like using it

best wishes
lou

Byron Trantham
03-03-2006, 1:10 PM
NICE job! You obviously saw the beauty underneath! What a sense of accomplishment.:D

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2006, 2:08 PM
Beautiful job Jack. You sure did that machine justice.

Travis Johnson
06-18-2006, 8:17 AM
Wow, 5 days!!

I am impressed. Just be warned, the old woodworking machinery bug is easy to catch and even harder to get rid of. Man is it ever addicting. Still, as some other Creeker said, once you restore a machine, you have a bond with it like no other machine in your shop.

Jeff Horton
06-18-2006, 9:51 AM

Of course it can be saved! The key it to find one that is complete and not missing parts. Thats probably the hardest part of most restorations is find a missing part. That one doesn't look that bad to me but of course I can't see it in person either.

Nothing personal but the bigger question is do you have the mechanical skills and really want to tackle it? IMHO thats where most restorations go wrong.

Jeff Horton
06-18-2006, 9:53 AM
As one who really enjoys projects like that I must say you did a nice job! Looks really nice! I am very impressed!

Next time just remember to take some before photos! ;) It makes it even more impressive.