PDA

View Full Version : BS Blade Recommendations?

Kent Cori
08-04-2003, 10:21 AM
I just ordered a Griz G0555 14" band saw with riser block (stealth gloat and thanks to the feedback on SMC) and now need to buy a selection of blades for it. Based on the opinions of many of this forum's members, I will be buying Timberwolf blades from Suffolk Machinery. The problem is that when I tapped into their web page, the number of options made my head spin! Therefore, I am appealing to all of you for a little more sage wisdom.

I expect to use the BS for general band sawing, cutting out of bowl blanks, cutting of templates and a moderate amount of resawing. For the most part, I will be cutting 3/4" to 6" hardwoods with a small amount of 1/2" plywood for the templates. Resawing capacity on this machine with the riser block is up to 12". I don't expect to be cutting very tight radiuses so 3/8" wide blades will probably be the minimum I purchase. The Griz will handle up to 3/4" wide blades so I suspect that is what I will use for resawing. My question to all of you is what widths and tooth type and spacing would you recommend for this range of uses?

Also, for any of you who have this same BS with the riser block, is the 105" length quoted by Grizzly correct?

As always, thanks in advance for your input.

Jason Roehl
08-04-2003, 10:48 AM
Kent, you may have to tap Bill Grumbine for a BS blade recommendation. He has in his possession an orbital motion BS blade for agressive cutting of bowl blanks. :D Actually, it's just an abused blade that has been bent too many times, but it was kind of neat to see in action!!

Don Farr
08-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Kent, Call Suffolk Machinery and ask them. They will help you out. They did me.

Bob Lasley
08-04-2003, 12:13 PM
Kent,

As Don says, call Suffolk. Tell them what kind of cuts you want to make in what and they will tell you what blades to buy. Very helpful folks.

Bob

Jim Becker
08-04-2003, 12:22 PM
Yes, Ken...call the folks at Suffolk. They are most excellent at recommending the right blades for whatever your specific needs are. For example, they recommend a different blade (1/2" AS) for cutting turning blanks out of wet wood than they do for resawing. (1/2" PC)

Patrick Smith
08-08-2003, 4:00 PM
Kent, you may have to tap Bill Grumbine for a BS blade recommendation. He has in his possession an orbital motion BS blade for agressive cutting of bowl blanks. :D Actually, it's just an abused blade that has been bent too many times, but it was kind of neat to see in action!!

I laughed really hard when I read this... A few weeks ago I bent my good 1/2" Suffolk blade roughing out a bowl. It had only been used twice... luckily I got a couple of boards resawn before I did it. Now I don't feel so bad thinking I'm the only one that has ever done it!! :D

This post reminded me to get on the phone and order two more blades though. I think I'll keep the 1/2 inch "orbital motion" blade ;) for bowl roughing and order a 3/8 and 3/4 blade. I'll 3rd (4th?) the recommendation for Suffolk. And hey, I'd be willing to offer the orbital motion "mod" for free to anyone who would like it on their blade :p

Patrick

Kent Cori
08-09-2003, 3:56 PM
Gents,

Thanks for your unanimous recommendations to call Suffolk Macinery. They were very helpful and I now have 3/16", 3/8" and 3/4" (resaw) blades on the way.

The G0555 appears to be an excellent tool and an outstanding value. :D The fence system works smoothly and should be a major benefit. The riser block should give me all the resaw capacity I could want. It was easy to assemble although the instructions had a couple of incorrect directions. Fortunately, it wasn't anything too difficult to figure out after a moment's thought.

I can hardly wait to get the Timberwolf blades into action. The Griz blade works okay but is nothin to write home about. However, I'm glad I set up the BS with it as I had a couple of adjustments out of whack that resulted in a little unexpected wear on the teeth. :eek:

nic obie
08-09-2003, 8:18 PM
Gents,

The Griz blade works okay but is nothin to write home about. However, I'm glad I set up the BS with it as I had a couple of adjustments out of whack that resulted in a little unexpected wear on the teeth. :eek:

You too?!

I managed to mess up a 1" band on my Minimax the first time I changed blades. I knew better too.

:eek: