PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander (Woodwright Tools)

Don Dean
03-03-2006, 7:39 AM
Does anyone own or have any knowledge of this drum sander?

http://www.woodwrighttools.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=38&osCsid=fdcc8baf31802d8b00965bfdc9190b46

Jim Hager
03-03-2006, 8:37 AM
While I haven't any knowledge about woodwright tools, I can tell you that the Ryobi drum sander that the add mentions is not a very reliable drum sander for my kind of work. I had one of those about 10 years ago and while it did work it was cranky about holding the paper and keeping the feed belt aligned. It was also painfully slow. For me it wasn't a good working model. I ramped my ww business up quite a few knotches since then and I have now sold that sander and my g1066 and have now got a General International drum sander that works quite well for what I do.

I still have a Delta 18-36 sander that I tried and also couldn't use because of some of the same issues. It is quite a bit better however it can't keep up with my rp door orders. I need to sell it so someone can get the use out of it. It is a great little sander for a hobby shop and doesn't take up that much room.

Dick Bringhurst
03-03-2006, 8:44 AM
I had one about 7-8 years ago. It was almost impossible the get the paper on correctly,especially on the non open end side. I got rid of it and got a Delta. Dick B.

Dick Bringhurst
03-03-2006, 8:46 AM
BTW I don't think Ryobi makes these any more. Dick B.

Charlie Plesums
03-03-2006, 9:13 AM
When I looked at the picture, I thought it was the Performax 16-32, which has virtually identical specs, and very similar castings.

The Performax has some tricky clips for attaching the belt, but still is just barely acceptable. If you are trying to save a little over the Performax, I would look carefully at how the belt is attached, and how the drum is cooled.

Any 1 1/2 hp drum sander is a lightweight sander, so the "makes quick work of the roughest boards turning them into smooth surfaces, ready for the finest finishes." in the ad is pure BS. If that is what you want, look for a 10 hp or more sander, and probably a belt rather than a drum to avoid burning when you are being that aggressive.

On the other hand, I have a Performax 16-32, and it does a fine job as a very light weight drum sander. Someday I will get one of those 10 hp wide belt units and be even happier.

Jim Becker
03-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Hmm...I thought that Ryobi stopped making their drum sander. It was added to the vendor's site in the link in 2004. Interesting...