PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
03-03-2006, 5:33 AM
I'm back!!!! I remembered!!!!

Another Friday. What's on your agenda for the weekend? Let us know and then let us know how you did on Dennis' thread Monday.

I'm going to spend some time with LOML, granddaughter and my mom. I've been so tired when I get home from the project that I'm usually asleep by 8 or 8:30. :o :(

Depending on the weather I might start moving some of the stuff from the 40' container back into the crawl spaces in the new house. We should have heat today and most of the work in the basement will be done by today, 3/3/06.

Karl

Matt Meiser
03-03-2006, 7:55 AM
No big plans except that I'm picking up a clawfoot bathtub we found at an antique store last weekend. The porcelain is near perfect and we got it for $120, so we are one step closer to starting our master bath renovation which will include several cabinetry projects for me.

I'll probably spend time in the shop, but not sure yet what I'll do.

Jim Hager
03-03-2006, 8:11 AM
I am glueing up a set of knotty pine panel doors for this weekend. I'll finish the gluing tonight and on Saturday I have a hand hired to help me hang that set of kitchen cabinets that I have been building. Sunday I'll work on the pine doors and maybe get them out. They are all square topped and that makes things easier.

Tyler Howell
03-03-2006, 8:23 AM
Making the rounds of hospitals and care homes with all the sicky friends and family.:(
Home work for the Neander class and home remuttling
There are rumors of a creeker vist.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-03-2006, 9:29 AM
Work Saturday, as usual, Saturday night, I want to get more done on my shop reshuffle, I got to make room for that new fancy :rolleyes: lathe, and make up a lathe bench, but I got to get some steel for that...

I'm going to get to work on my tool sharpening jig....

First project will be making new longer handles for the cheap starter tools that I have, the shorty tools suck.

Cheers!

Julio Navarro
03-03-2006, 9:34 AM
Finishing some shelving for a project I volunteered for at work:mad: Hopefully planning the Bill Pentz cyclone if I get the shelves done. I may go look at a band saw that is up for sale nearby.

Jim Becker
03-03-2006, 9:38 AM
Re-arranging the girls' room to "delineate space and possessions" (oy...), maybe a little shop time here and there and celebrating my birthday on Sunday.

Julio Navarro
03-03-2006, 9:39 AM
Happy B day, Jim!

Glenn Clabo
03-03-2006, 9:57 AM
Dunno...maybe the first bowl...maybe breakout the special bottle of wine and create something for the good Dr.

Kirk (KC) Constable
03-03-2006, 9:58 AM
We'll be going to Houston to pick up the new puppy Sunday morning when I get home from work. Jean's taking off next week to 'bond'. :D She's awfully excited.

KC

Anthony Anderson
03-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Happy Birthday Jim Becker!

I am planning of building a shop cart for my Performax 22-44 that I just unboxed yesterday (after sitting in the garage for a week). Plan on it being about the size of Jim B's with some pull out drawers and on wheels. Probably won't get it all done, but plan on a good start. Man is that thing HEAVY?! Good Luck to everyone, Bill

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Going to work in my clock shop and do a little wood turning this weekend. Spend a some time with the LOML.

Happy Birthday Jim.

Lee DeRaud
03-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Put a couple coats of finish on a DVD cabinet I cobbled up, maybe pick up GF's new exercise bike from Sears (if it shows up, was supposed to be here two days ago), over to some friends for the Academy Awards (think of it as a 3-hour Superbowl halftime show, but with more wardrobe malfunctions :p).

John Miliunas
03-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Work Job #2 tonight and funeral to go to on Sat. for a neighbor's mom. Hopefully will be able to finish up a picture/mirror frame for the LOML and maybe, just maybe, be able to finally fire up the spinny thing for a bit! :) Hope everyone has a great weekend! :D

And Jim B., just in case I should have a blonde moment on Sunday, here's wishes for a great and Happy Birthday! :) :cool:

JayStPeter
03-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Maybe I'll actually finish the boys beds this weekend. There's a bunch of stuff going on to try and prevent it, but I do see some potential free time slots ... we'll see :rolleyes: .

Happy Birthday Jim.

Jay

Tom Drake
03-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Going to try and finish the base cabinets I have been building for the kitchen. I should try and clean the shop too but don't know if I will get that far.

Steve Ash
03-03-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm hoping to get the doors for my son's kitchen cabinets started. Finally got the cutters in a profile he liked delivered on Wednesday....he sure is a picky little customer.:D

John Miliunas
03-03-2006, 11:53 AM
....he sure is a picky little customer.:D

I'm thinkin' he takes after the Old Man!!! :D :cool:

Byron Trantham
03-03-2006, 1:13 PM
Sunday I will be re-delivering the Bay Window desk. Much to my surprise the client sent me the check for the balance yesterday! That's a first; payment before delivery.:D

Mike Zozakiewicz
03-03-2006, 1:36 PM
Happy Birthday Jim!

I will be installing the trim in the mudroom--finished painting it last night. Some touch up painting in the other two room I painted this week. Maybe a little shop time on Sat. PM (my new M12V is still in the box!:eek: ).

Sunday off to Green Bay for my daughter birthday.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Mike

David Duke
03-03-2006, 1:52 PM
I'm planning on trying to clean up the yard, been kinda wet and its finally about dry enough that I should be able to get it in pretty good shape. I also hope to finish the porch swing I had started last weekend. Tomorrow the biggest part of the day I will be over my neices doing a cut in to tie the new part of the house to the old, don't really know what I'm going to get into this old house is one of those old buildings that probably should of just been dozered down but you can't blame someone for trying to save a buck. Sunday will be spent at my brothers for the "early" March family birthdays (by the way happy birthday Jim B).

All of the above is dependant of course on if my DIL doesn't go into labor.........should be any day now :D :D .

Vaughn McMillan
03-03-2006, 3:02 PM
Tonight will be spent in the shop working on a pool cue case I've had in progress for a while. The final pieces of hardware showed up from Lee Valley this morning, so it's time to finish the finish, install the hardware and complete the interior upholstery. Probably won't have a chance to complete it this weekend, because of other things going on this weekend.

Saturday afternoon is an Academy Awards party at a friend's house. This one will be fun because her husband is a recipient of an Oscar this year. He works for Panavision, and it's a special technical recognition award he's receiving for a procedure he's pioneered in the film editing industry. After that, it's off to visit LOML's mom, who is still laid up in a rehab hospital healing from a broken hip in early January.

Sunday is an all-day boat ride around Santa Catalina Island on a whale watching trip hosted by the American Cetacean Society. We've made this trip in years past, and it's usually pretty fruitful. Lots of sea critters to see.
Not as much shop time as I'd like, but it should be a fun weekend with some interesting diversions.

- Vaughn

T.J. Mahaffey
03-03-2006, 5:15 PM
I'm hoping to do two things this weekend:

1. Pick up my 'new' Jet lathe from Dennis Peacock. :) Woo!

2. Add the backs to my new shop cabinets, build and attach the top and do all the interior finishing and be ready to build drawers next weekend.

3. Score some good hand tools in my usual flea market/auction rounds.

Karl Laustrup
03-03-2006, 5:16 PM
Re-arranging the girls' room to "delineate space and possessions" (oy...), maybe a little shop time here and there and celebrating my birthday on Sunday.

Hehehehe! Been there done that Jim. Ain't it wonderful.

Your Sunday, I'm Monday. HAPPY B-DAY TO BOTH OF US!!

Karl

Bob Reeve
03-03-2006, 8:09 PM
Jim,

Happy Birthday,

I am going to hide from the rain and install about 240' of base board. I am also going to try and finish up several pens I am making for gifts.

Fred Voorhees
03-03-2006, 9:11 PM
Will not be spending much time at all in the shop this weekend. Will be heading down to the Cape May area Saturday morning to spend the night with my Mom and my youngest brother. My wife will be taking my Mom out shopping while my Brother and I will be getting out for our first fishing of the year in hopes of catching some sluggish bass or maybe even some pickeral. We WILL be discussing how to build some kind of door one of my brothers customer wants done for an opening in, I think, a garage of theirs. A screen door to be exact. That will probably be the extent of any kind of woodworking for me this weekend.

Oh and by the way - Happy B'Day James! My we are both getting old! Are you feelin' it in your bones yet?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-03-2006, 9:16 PM
Saturday....do a little cleaning in the shop, snag some more wet Maple that's down up the street and possibly go to a "turning" art exhibit at a University of Idaho art museum in Moscow. Sunday more cleanup and maybe some turning.

Butch Spears
03-03-2006, 9:20 PM
Saturday Morning picking up my mm16 in Austin bringing it back to Corinth to its new home. Butch

Andy Hoyt
03-03-2006, 9:21 PM
I'll be working on this thing (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32329) all weekend long. Ugh.

Tom Fortier
03-03-2006, 9:35 PM
Youngest daughter has BBall game Saturday morning. After that, both daughters have plans with friends, so I will head out to the garage to plane out some Ash and get started on a dresser that I am building to match a bed I just finished a couple weekends ago.

Hopefully I will get a chance to work on it Sunday as well.

Corey Hallagan
03-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Got a soccer tournemant for the daughter tomorrow and hope to get into the shop on Sunday for a big, may bet some penblanks ready to turn, turn some rund stuff and play with differnet finshes. Not a whole lot. Maybe start a new box. We will see! Oh, got a couple new bottles of wine from a buddy in NAPA so will taste one of them while watching Ultimate Fighting with the son tomorrow night! That's classy huh, fine wine and UFC!!

Corey

Tim Devery
03-04-2006, 8:35 AM
Going to the Cub Scouts Blue and Gold dinner this afternoon.
Then back to the woodshop to play with my new Fein Supercut.
Recieved it yesterday and did not have a chacne to play with it.
I have to do a hardwood floor repair Monday, and can't wait to see what this saw can do............:D

Eric Shields
03-04-2006, 11:17 AM
As with every weekend I'll be working my real job, though this week it is daywork. Will be getting home around 2:00 pm. Saturday is a planned adventure to the mall with my step daughter and wife (step son @ his dad's). With that in mind I have no plans after since who knows when we'll get back.

Sunday LOML and I are supposed to be having lunch with friends and their new born. Possible shop drafting time after that. Am currently working out a few kinks in the framing department. Hopefully I will be able to get back here and absorb some information provided by fellow creekers with a knack for electricity that I just posted. All responses are appreciated greatly.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32351 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32351)

Have a great weekend everyone and a Happy Birthday to Jim B

Eric

Bob Swenson
03-04-2006, 2:07 PM
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear J---im:)
Happy birthday to you

Stu - can't you just go to the old Japanese steel forest with your
sawzall and cut down what you need.:rolleyes:

Going to practice the CarveWright software. :confused:

Matt King
03-05-2006, 12:36 AM
Well, gonna try to get finish getting the C'man tablesaw put back together - with new bearings, that is! The sixty thousandths slop and bad "grind" component in the bearings I just removed would (I sure hope!) explain why I had such terrible blowout on the back of EVERY board I cut!

Crept up out of the blue, as well... Very odd... Anyhow, hopefully I'll get 'er reassembled with the new, *sealed* NTN bearings that Grainger brought in for me and get back to make big pieces of wood into little pieces of wood!

Take care,

Matt

Jay Knoll
03-05-2006, 6:48 AM
Happy Birthday Jim!

We went to Miami Beach for a weekend get away, saw the Chihuly installation at Fairchild Garden-- fantastic!

http://www.fairchildgarden.org

Orchid show, today off to the King Tut exhibit in Fort Lauderdale, too many good resturants with lots of great eye candy strutting around, we're not in Vero Beach any more!

Home tomorrow, hope to get back in the shop to start working on a wall hung cabinet for LOML's necklaces.

Jay

J.R. Rutter
03-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Spent Friday with 5 strong youngsters and a lift gate truck. How all that marginally useful wood accumulated, I don't know. We ended up burning everything under 2' long or 2" wide...

Yesterday moved machinery into position, got cyclone up on a stand, trimmed most of the 3PH, and generally hunted through boxes looking for stuff that I knew the precise location of for the past 5 years.

Today we run the Nordfab ducting, finish all electrical, install tooling for next run, and try to sort through more boxes. I need carts! I need pegboard! I need cabinets, assembly tables, clamp rack, and 2 more hands. But mostly i need a break!

Tomorrow 600 BF of maple is scheduled to arrive, to be converted into doors for a huge kitchen by Friday.

Chris Barton
03-05-2006, 11:26 AM
I am in San Francisco at the American Academy of Dermatology presenting some research findings. Cold, windy, wet and ready to go home but, not until Tuesday...

Chris Barton
03-05-2006, 11:30 AM
I'll be working on this thing (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32329) all weekend long. Ugh.

So Andy, can I come up to visit this spring and do a few day class with you on learning your techniques?:D

Andy Hoyt
03-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Sure, Chris! Which techniques are you specifically interested in?

Making a Complete Ass Out of One's Self - 101
Advanced Ice Cream Recognition - 204
The Art of the Scrap Pile - 107
Beginner's Bandaid Application - 101
Catches - The Evolution of - 102

I'll need to know so that I can prepare a course synopsis, get step by step 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows on each printed up, and increase my insurance coverage.:D

Oh! And the check for your non refundable $4,000 deposit should be made out to FUBAR Industries.

John Miliunas
03-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Sure, Chris! Which techniques are you specifically interested in?

Making a Complete Ass Out of One's Self - 101
Advanced Ice Cream Recognition - 204
The Art of the Scrap Pile - 107
Beginner's Bandaid Application - 101
Catches - The Evolution of - 102

I'll need to know so that I can prepare a course synopsis, get step by step 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows on each printed up, and increase my insurance coverage.:D

Oh! And the check for your non refundable $4,000 deposit should be made out to FUBAR Industries.

ROFLM....:D :D :D Andy, you owe me yet another bottle of Windex for my monitor!!! :eek: Think I'm going to have to look into some of those clear tear-off protectors like NASCAR uses for the stupid thing, pretty soon!:D :cool:

Bob Huddleston
03-05-2006, 3:40 PM
I am in the middle of a major upgrade of my workshop, now that I kinda know where I want things (http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot766.shtml). There are three workshops: the one that is planned, the one that is there, and the one you wish you had. I am at like number 2-1/2.

Also, I was roped into a bunch of picture framing for my wife and her friends....scrapbookers, don't cha' know. Now scrapbooks have moved from the books to the walls and need proper framing. It's ok, really....good way to spend a winter Sunday!

Be well, all.

Bob