PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat??

Jim VanBramer
03-03-2006, 1:52 AM
I'm always on the lookout for a good deal on wood, but for quite some time now it's been rather dry out here in Seattle (not literally, but I think you know what I mean!). Then earlier this week I got ahold of a guy who had to be out of his storage shed in two days and had some wood he needed to get rid of by then. He said it was mostly just some birch and one piece of black walnut, and I ought to come and see it. I finally caught up with him an hour before he had to be out, and this is what I found ........... :D http://home.earthlink.net/~vanbramers/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/woodgroup1.jpg
The longest piece of birch being almost 13 ft, and the widest was 14 in.. And for being "just some birch" that figure turned out to be a really nice surprise! There was a nice piece of cherry hiding in there as well. Those were all 7/4 thick. The black walnut was 14 in wide and a full 2+ in. thick. My son's already asking for a nice desk for his room out of it ... looks like a good enough reason to head out to the shop!
As if that wasn't good enough then a buddy and I came across a little bit more black walnut. I think I'll let the pictures speak for themselves on this one. The smallest that piece laying down gets is 4 ft in dia., and it's 10 ft long.http://home.earthlink.net/~vanbramers/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/blackwalnutcombo.jpg
All in all it's been a pretty productive week out here. Now it looks like I've got my work cut out for me for a little while atleast. Have a great weekend!

Jim

Vaughn McMillan
03-03-2006, 4:31 AM
You put a question mark on the thread title? No doubt about it, that's some gloatworthy wood. Nice haul.

- Vaughn

Bill Simmeth
03-03-2006, 7:08 AM
Man, those three pieces on the right are HUGE! Even taller than the house. :eek: :D

Nice gloat!

Jim Becker
03-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Yea, what's with the question mark?? Sheesh! Definitely a gloat...big time!

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2006, 10:22 AM
Nice wood gloat. That is some nice looking wood.

Scott Donley
03-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Hi Jim, That Birch does not look to good so I am willing to help you out, I will drive up and take it of your hands so you don't have to deal with it :)
That big chunk there really does mean it is time to get that lathe !
NICE HAUL !

Jim VanBramer
03-03-2006, 11:19 AM
On a side note, I've always heard that some of the best wood on a black walnut tree is down in the root section. That being said, and looking at the picture of this one:eek: , just exactly how does one attack it to get the best wood out of it?? Has anyone here ever done that sort of thing? Thanks in advance.
Jim