PDA

View Full Version : Is this is a Bedrock Type 3 #605?

RichMagnone
03-03-2006, 1:07 AM
A few of the type studies seem to make it look like it is! I know enough to know that Bedrock=good and small knob=good! I am wondering if anyone here can confirm or deny the type. The bed says PAT'D APR. 2 - 95 and the adjustment lever says PAT 7-24-88

I've attached a couple of pics. It has a little ding on the handle and a few scratches and rust here and there, but also has most japanning and is just kinda old and cool.

If this is a Type 3, is that the age and kind of plane you actually would monkey around with (ie electrolysis bath, clean up, etc.) or would you leave it alone? The sole has a few long (and deeper) scratches and a few scratches right in front of the blade opening, so I think it would require some work on the sole to get it to "well tuned" status.

I am thinking of keeping it and starting a real collection or maybe sending it to the great bay in the sky in exchange for one of them new fangled 4 1/2 Veritas smoothers. I dunno - it is kinda exciting to have stumbled on to something old, even though the #5 seems to be awful common.

Brad Kimbrell
03-03-2006, 2:21 AM
You shouldn't keep anything that was made in 1995 in your collection!

Send that new junk over to me and I'll take care of it for you. I'm sure that it is cluttering up your shop. I won't even charge you rent for the space that it's going to take up...LOL

Enjoy your new find!

Jim Goldrick
03-03-2006, 8:35 AM
If you are thinking of selling it, don't do anything other than clean it up. Some people would say not even to do that. If you are going to use it awhile and then sell, again, don't do anything other than clean it up. If you change the blade, save the original. etc.

HTH

Jim DeLaney
03-03-2006, 9:27 AM
That's a really nice old Bedrock. As for cleaning it up: From the pictures, it certainly doesn't need electrolysis. Just a bit of SOS pad or Scotchbrite will clean it up very nicely. If you intend to sell it, though, DON'T DO ANYTHING TO IT! Anything you do to clean/'restore' it will lower the potential collector value.

Were it mine, I'd do nothing to it except (only if needed) lap the sole a bit. I'd also replace the blade with an L-N or a Hock, and save the original blade so I'd have it to reinstall if I decided to ever sell the plane.

I have about half a dozen of these earlier Bedrocks, and they're among my favorite users. They don't have the interest among user/collectors that the later 'square top' Bedrocks have, but they're excellent planes.

RichMagnone
03-03-2006, 10:40 AM
I actually think I intend on keeping it. The more I read, the more I think it is a Type 3 and probably the oldest tool I will lay my hands on. Would lapping the sole to get out those deep gouges be considered a "no no" as there is a bit of metal that will have to come off?

Steve Clardy
03-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Don't worry about the gouges. If you are to use it, through time they will diminish.

Hank Knight
03-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Would lapping the sole to get out those deep gouges be considered a "no no" as there is a bit of metal that will have to come off?

I agree with Steve; don't worry about the gouges, they wont hamper the performance as long as the sole is otherwise smooth and flat. Besides, you'll run out of gas lapping long before you get rid of the gouges.

Corvin Alstot
03-03-2006, 9:27 PM
Looks like you have a type 3 with the wrong lever cap(not that it matters).
Check Bob Kaune's web site for more info on Bedrock types.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

TYPE 1 Milled Patent Date, Sept.3.95 <O:p</O:p
Most plane beds of this type are shorter than Type 3 No.605 is 13-1/2 vs. 14 inch later type.<O:p</O:p
Rounded sides profile, like Bailey planes. <O:p</O:p
Frogs with B casting marks. Lateral adjustment lever with patent dates <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:date Month=10-21-84</st1:date> &<st1:date Month=" /><st1:date Month="7" Day="24" Year="1988">7-24-88</st1:date>. Frog & bed machined & mated 100%; inclined frog seat. STANLEY R &L CO BED ROCK on lever caps. B casting marks. <O:p</O:p
Q tm on most irons. <O:p</O:p
Low knob. Handle shapes same as those of comparable vintage Bailey planes. <O:p</O:p

TYPE 2. 1898-1899 <O:p</O:p
All features of TYPE 1 except...<O:p</O:p
<st1:date Month="7" Day="24" Year="1988">7-24-88</st1:date> only patent date on frog lateral adjustment lever. <O:p</O:p
TYPE 2a. 1899 <O:p</O:p
All features of TYPE 2. except... <O:p</O:p
Beds marked "No.60..". Only No.603, 604 Planes have been found of this type. <O:p</O:p

TYPE 3. 1900-1908 <O:p</O:p
All features of TYPE 2, except... <O:p</O:p
Beds now marked with "600" numbers, i.e.; No.602 - 608. No milled out space below "PAT’D. APR 2. 95. "B" casting marks on most standard length beds. <O:p</O:p
Frogs of some planes nickel-plated on machined surfaces. <O:p</O:p

TYPE 4 1908-1910 <O:p</O:p
All features of TYPE 3., except... <O:p</O:p
Beds usually do not have "B" casting marks. <O:p</O:p
Frogs have lateral adjustment levers without patent dates. <O:p</O:p
Lever caps now marked "STANLEY....BED ROCK." <O:p</O:p
Irons have T tm on later planes, S tm on others.<O:p</O:p

TYPE 5 1911 <O:p</O:p
Major changes<O:p</O:p
Beds now marked "BED ROCK" in addition to "600" numbers. No "B" casting marks.<O:p</O:p
"PAT’D. APR 2. 95 & APR. 19. 10" rear of frog.<O:p</O:p
Flat-top Sides.<O:p</O:p
Raised knob receiver<O:p</O:p
Frogs are now attached to beds with pins and set screws. <O:p</O:p
Irons have T tm<O:p</O:p
Tall knobs.<O:p</O:p