PDA

View Full Version : 3 Ply Laser Engravable Plastic

Jim A. Walters
03-03-2006, 12:01 AM
A customer requested that I engrave and cut some 3 ply material. I couldn't find any Rowmark 3 ply, so I ordered some IPI 3 ply black/white/black 1/16" material.
I ended up with unremovable smoke damage on the bottom ply. Does anyone has some experience/suggestions on how to cut it? I have not had any luck leaving the protective covering on the material and engraving it. I did pull the cover off both sides, and wonder if that was the smartest thing to do. I didn't know how the covering would react being cut on the bottom side.

Here is my setup.
25 Watt Pinnacle M-series.
Egg crate light grid for riser.
3.6S / 100P
500DPI / 1200 PPI

This setup works fine with Rowmark LaserMark, and the smoke on the back cleans right off.

If anyone knows of other suppliers of 3 ply, please let me know.

Dave Fifield
03-03-2006, 5:31 AM
Hi Jim,

Maybe you should have left the protective material on! If you've already removed it, you might like to try covering both sides with laser paper before engraving.

Good luck!
Dave F.

Joe Pelonio
03-03-2006, 8:25 AM
I have discovered one product that has never failed to remove the residue
on any plastic product that I have lasered, "Rapid Remover" by Rapid Tac.

It's not cheap, I pay $30/Gallon for it at my sign supply, also available in quart for $12. Do not soak the plastic in it or eventually the surface layer will soften. Just put a little on a rag and rub, then dry with another rag.

http://www.rapidtac.com/ Click on Rapid Remover Icon at top.

In the future if you use transfer tape it will be easier to remove the little centers of letters than the clear film.