PDA

View Full Version : Five Barns Attendance

Bill Grumbine
08-04-2003, 9:06 AM
Good morning all

All is quiet here at the Five Barns complex. Rowdy and Bubba are wandering about looking for the last bits of crumbs dropped on the ground in hopes of finding some treat. Truth be told, it took us all of half an hour to clean up after the crowds disappeared. People were neat, and except for a few unwary souls who left their plates in reach of the pooches, the dogs went unrewarded for their diligent searching. We had a blast meeting you all, seeing new people, renewing old friendships. SWMBO and the girls worked real hard, and Lisa is already talking about next year, so I know she had a real good time too.

We couldn't have done it without all the help people gave us. I originally set the beginning of the affair for after lunch on Friday. I knew Ken S. was an early riser, but I had no idea he ate lunch at 8:30 AM! :D He was a big help, and brought me a beautiful board of curly cherry. I practically had to lock it up to keep people from drooling on it. We had lots of help from just about every one who was there. Lisa had many hands in the "kitchen tent", which made her job lots easier, and the many willing hands up in the shop and around the grounds helped my job tremendously. The amount of food that arrived was staggering, and the quantity was exceeded only by the quality. Many diets, including my own, were put on hold for two days.

We are both grateful for the opportunity to be able to do this, and we are especially grateful for all the kind sentiments expressed. We are glad to hear that so many people enjoyed themselves, but much of the credit goes to the kind of people that inhabit this forum. Again, we really enjoyed it, and will look forward to doing it again next year, and maybe then it will be even bigger. Oh yeah, I am still trying to get an accurate count, but based on Walt Drummond's calculations using the guest book and adding in those who did not sign it who we know of, right now it looks like we had 94 people altogether.

Again, thank you all for your contributions, your gifts, and your time in making this a great event for all.

Bill

Noah Alkinburgh
08-04-2003, 9:17 AM
Bill,

Thank you so much for your hospitality. Your wife and daughters were wonderful as well. Charis had the time of her life with Sarah and I know she kept Mrs. Dart and several others busy too. You can tell Charis had a good time by the fact that she was asleep before we got to the stop sign next to the shop :) I wish my morning had been a bit better but I still had a fantastic time. I also understand that my wife is conspiring to get us up there again sometime soon :) She is going to have to really twist my arm hard to have that happen. Thanks again for all you and your family have done. Can't wait for next year.

Noah

Jim Becker
08-04-2003, 9:55 AM
Bill, you and the Grumbine crew (as well as any others who pitched in) are to be commended for a most excellent event! It was obvious that everyone was having a great time, enjoying the food, drink, demonstrations and fellowship. What's not to like about that? :D

Great job. Thank you!

Lee Schierer
08-04-2003, 11:58 AM
I can't say it often enough, Thanks Bill & Lisa. It was a ball. Sue's already looking for a 2004 calendar so she can block out dates for next year.

Daniel Rabinovitz
08-04-2003, 4:22 PM
Cuisine de' 5 Barns
Since I only eat to maintain weight. I shall attempt to accurately review the picnic grub.
Those that missed the picnic really missed a "real meal".
There was:
Chicken - three kinds of recipe's
Baked Beans and Three Bean salad
German potato salad
Tossed Salad
Cole Slaw
Meat balls
Sliced OX roast
Chips - of all kinds
Sausage or Kilbassy (sp)
Sauer Kraut

Deserts:
Apple Crumb Cake (Which I missed - all those other thin people ate it up) (it was a huge pan full - gone before I got there)
Apple pie
Peach pie
Cherry pie
All kinds of delicious cakes
including Pineapple Upside down cake
Brownies - three kinds
Watermellon
large chocolate chip cookies

If I missed anything - by all means please fill in. It may mean a great deal as to a decision to come to next years or to forgo a wonderful two days of real camaraderie.
You to, can stand in the workshop and have wood chips spit at you from the many working lathes.

the other Dan
from "western" Pennsylvania