PDA

View Full Version : Can my newly finished floor be repaired...easily?

Rob Blaustein
03-02-2006, 11:14 PM
OK, I'll start by admitting I'm a numbskull, and really annoyed with myself. We just added a new master bedroom suite with hardwood oak floors finished with water-based poly. In moving our heavy mattress I had to drag it briefly over a part of the floor. I didn't realize there was some sort of hard piece on the corner and when I dragged it I managed to gouge out a 1/4" wide wavy line that goes several feet across the floor. I only rubbed out some of the finish, I didn't really scratch the floor (I think). Of course the irony is we just had to have the flooring guys come back to do another few coats after the painters trashed the floor because of inadequate protection--that was done 7 days ago. OK, I know some of you guys are flooring experts--is this fixable without redoing the whole floor? Is it fixable by a non-flooring pro--like me? If so, what would it involve? I will say that I've never done any sort of finishing, but just about to start doing some on another project. Thanks for any advice.

Michael Ballent
03-02-2006, 11:25 PM
All I can say is, make sure you have really good knee pads... When I layed down Pergo in my entire house, my knees sort of thanked my ;) Can you tell if the scratch got to the wood as in can you see if there are wood fibers that have been raised? That may help some of the folks here help you out better :D Can't really offer too much advise other than that.

Rob Blaustein
03-02-2006, 11:30 PM
I don't think I scratched the floor, just gouged the finish. I don't see any splinters or bare wood at all.

James Stokes
03-03-2006, 5:32 AM
If you did not go in to the wood, you should be able to buff it out. I have a 6 inch grinder with a buffing pad that I have used on things like that.