PDA

View Full Version : A New House - Update #1 - Short, With Pix

Andy Hoyt
03-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Every once in a while I've snuck a shot of one of my timberframed models or dollhouses into the background of something I'm posting. Just a subtle way of showing off my work because I'm proud of it.

Anyway, I did so the other day and this time it prompted a number of postings expressing interest in seeing more; along with a few PMs asking me to start something in the OT Forum along the lines of what Karl Laustrup is doing with his real house. So - Here ya are.

The model I'm working on right now has a drop dead date of March 19, so this project will either take less time than Karl's house; or put me in jail for failure to meet my end of the bargain. The race is on!

Dennis Peacock suggested that I start from the beginning and walk you through the process. After a few of these we'll be caught up to real time and then you'll see if I crash and burn, or just burn out.

This first shot shows that it's just a plain old short stack of #2 white pine. To produce the timber, I'll use the same table saw, planer, and drum sander that you guys use. Nothing unique there, so we'll jump forward to the layout bench.
And this one shows my forty-eight inch long marking bench. That means I can layout joinery on a 48 foot long timber in 1/12th scale. One inch in my world equals one foot everywhere else. From here on in when I refer to inches and feet, understand that I'll be talking in scale.
Here's a close up of the thing. There are four rules. One for eight inch thick stock; one for six inch thick stock; one for six inch stock in reverse; and one for four inch thick stuff.
An action shot of me doing my thing. I'm actually right handed so this is a staged shot because I was unable to hold and shoot the camera with my left hand. Klutz!
After layout, I'll rough cut the timber to length with a handsaw and then "cut" it to actual length with a disc sander. I get much more accurate results this way.

Andy Hoyt
03-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Here are some shots depicting how I cut the joinery.
This is an old Delta Shaper. The wooden box on top serves as shelf for tools and stuff as well as the shroud for the DC. The cutter is one that I had made specially for this process. Basically, it's a T&G cutter with some dimensions that are specific to my needs. This is where I cut all tenons in all their infinite variety.
This is a Grizzly 1005Z milling machine. Got this only after destroying three drill presses. Got an off the shelf router bit chucked and the machine is set to run as fast as it will go - 2850 rpms. Layout includes a mark to know which face to reference from; and a start and end point. I just plunge it down in the middle and then sneak up on one point and back down to the other. Takes about 10 seconds to "chop" one mortise when I'm on a roll.
Here's a shot of just some of the timber for this project. I'm gonna raise the walls, the ridge, the king post trusses, and principal rafters first. Then I'll cut the purlins, common rafters, and steeple. Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that this model is of a church up in Miramichi, New Brunswick
And here we go. Post B - Bent 1. I assume that my plywood "foundation" is level; and I know it's square. I use a laminate trimmer to chop mortises in the sill timber - which is glued to the plywood edge. Sure hope you guys like clamps.
Here's a few more posts set. Corner posts are easy since you can clamp squares to it from each side. Along the wall, it's a matter of using something as a caul to keep the post plumb.

Okay. That it's it for today. Hope you find this interesting.

Cecil Arnold
03-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Lookin' good Andy. How do you keep the ice cream drips off the work?

Vaughn McMillan
03-03-2006, 4:53 AM
This is gonna be good...thanks for starting the thread, Andy.

- Vaughn

Karl Laustrup
03-03-2006, 5:23 AM
Anyway, I did so the other day and this time it prompted a number of postings expressing interest in seeing more; along with a few PMs asking me to start something in the OT Forum along the lines of what Karl Laustrop is doing with his real house. So - Here ya are.

Yippee Mr. Hoyt! I'll give you back your "o" if you give me back my "u". ;) :D O is returned.

I am really glad you are doing this. I am really looking forward to this tutorial.

I will be anxiously awaiting each update. :)

Karl

Fred LeBail
03-03-2006, 7:02 AM
Hey Andy,
Are you are constructing a scale model of the Church that the local Timber Framers erected at "the Enclosure" here in Miramichi ? If so I can see the actual building from the river bank at the rear of my property ( now that the leaves are gone ). It is about 1 mile away on the otherside of the Miramichi River.

It will be interesting to watch your progress.

Fred

Michael Stafford
03-03-2006, 7:43 AM
It is as I suspected, you are a very talented and skilled craftsman. I love seeing genius at work. This is so cool, Andy!;) :D

Tyler Howell
03-03-2006, 8:30 AM
Very nice Andy. I had no idea.

Andy Hoyt
03-03-2006, 9:02 AM
Cecil - I eat it fast - so no drips, no runs, no errors.

Karl - oops. You Cheeseheads sure have unique spellings for your names. Your U has been dutifully returned.

Fred - Hey! Look where you're from. Here's a pic of the real church. You'll have to tell us if it's the same one.

Thanks guys! Glad you like it. I have a few more shots that I'll post tonight and then we'll be current.

Jim Young
03-03-2006, 9:49 AM
Andy, this looks like it will be an interesting writeup. Where does the design come from, are you even going off a design or freehanding it?

Jim Becker
03-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Now, this is going to be a really kewel thread!

Andy Hoyt
03-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Jim - It's my understanding that the new church is a faithful reproduction of one that used to sit on the same site. Perhaps Fred could enlighten us all as to the history. My customer provided me with a full set of AutoCad drawings and I'm working from those, which is a joy. Here's a pdf file of one such drawing.

Dennis Peacock
03-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Karl - oops. You Cheeseheads sure have unique spellings for your names. Your U has been dutifully returned.

Well...at least you boys ain't a fightin' over your P's and Q's. :p :rolleyes: :D

Fred LeBail
03-03-2006, 2:44 PM
Well Andy,
that is the Church at Wilson's Point that I can see from the river bank. This on the site of the first English settlement on the Miramichi River. Also the church was the first Protestant church as well.

Here is a link if anyone is interested in reading about the history of Andy's project. http://www.mightymiramichi.com/breadnmolasses/id103.html

Andy Hoyt
03-03-2006, 3:40 PM
Thanks for the confirmation and link, Fred.

Status Check --- "I'm gaining on it. Just setting a spell while some glue dries. Purlins are in. Next are the common rafters."

Karl Laustrup
03-03-2006, 5:11 PM
Yippee Mr. Huyt! I'll give you back your "o" if you give me back my "u". ;) :D

I am really glad you are doing this. I am really looking forward to this tutorial.

I will be anxiously awaiting each update. :)

Karl

Thank you sir. O is back. ;) :D

Jim Dunn
03-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Andy that is a real professional job. Did you get your tools blessed before you started that Church reproduction?? Real cool!

Jim