PDA

View Full Version : Japanese AnchorSeal..........?

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-02-2006, 9:27 PM
I want to hear from you guys, what do you think about this......

I was talking to one of the few "turners" I've had the chance to meet here, a Japanese fellow, and while he knows about AnchorSeal, he says that he has not heard about it being sold here. I asked him what turners did to keep stuff from cracking, he said the paint the endgrain with plain old white glue......

Maybe the yellow stuff would be better?

Ideas on this, thoughts...?

Cheers!

Pat Salter
03-02-2006, 9:39 PM
I've heard about using glue (not sure what color) and I've also heard of using latex paint. And then there's the guys that melt wax and dip...oh, wait, don't you do that now? :D I have a friend that keeps an old electric skillet in his shop that he keeps his wax in. When he needs it, turns it on and starts dipping.
it will be interesting what everyone else comes up with.
Oh, another thing to try is.....spin them!!!:rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
03-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Uh Oh, here I go again with the glue thing.

Stu - try mixing plain old white glue with plain old water. 50 - 50 mix.

Coupla old timers in my club do this.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Of course Stu, you could try rolling some chicken bones on the dungeon floor while you dance in your rain coat chanting...."don'tdryoutdon'tdryoutdon'tdryout" You have to be facing the east while chanting.......there's couple of other things that go along with this but I don't remember them all..............Good Luck!:rolleyes: :D

Cecil Arnold
03-02-2006, 11:41 PM
Ken you've been hanging out on the reservation too much.

03-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Well considering the alternitives, I'll give the glue a shot.

Ken, I do burn incense while I'm doing it, and then puff Cuban cigars smoke at them too.... :rolleyes: :D

Bart Leetch
03-03-2006, 1:05 AM
"Ah Ha Ha Ha I...... Like it. " Chevy Chase in Modern Problems.

Well this is Modern Problems of the Spinny Kind.:D

John Hart
03-03-2006, 5:56 AM
Here's my spin on this....Even though you have sealed it, drying still occurs and the wood will move ever so slightly. Wood glue has no elasticity so it is going to crack, leaving an air gap and ultimately allow the wood to dry at the end grain....causing cracks. I think the Anchorseal works so well because it moves with the wood....maybe that's why latex paint is such a viable alternative.
Just speculating...:)

03-03-2006, 7:55 AM
Here's my spin on this....Even though you have sealed it, drying still occurs and the wood will move ever so slightly. Wood glue has no elasticity so it is going to crack, leaving an air gap and ultimately allow the wood to dry at the end grain....causing cracks. I think the Anchorseal works so well because it moves with the wood....maybe that's why latex paint is such a viable alternative.
Just speculating...:)

Hey, that makes sense to me...............ah.............. should I be worried about that..............?:eek:

John Hart
03-03-2006, 8:02 AM
Hey, that makes sense to me...............ah.............. should I be worried about that..............?:eek:

Yes!! Absolutely!! The last time I coated myself with wood glue, tiny cracks started to appear. I tried spraying lacquer on me but it didn't help.:p :D

Charlie Plesums
03-03-2006, 10:21 AM
...Wood glue has no elasticity so it is going to crack, ...

White or yellow PVA is relatively elastic - one of it's weaknesses for veneering or bending - but probably an advantage here.

Once I tried anchor seal, I stopped suggesting laytex paint. Nice stuff. I wonder if UC Coatings has an export division...

Jim Becker
03-03-2006, 10:41 AM
The purpose of "sealing" the end grain is to SLOW the release of moisture through that direction. It doesn't stop it and you don't want to stop it. (Unless you really like rotten wood... ;) ) While Anchoseal (a wax emulsion) is about the best thing for this, paint, glue, paraffin applied very hot, etc., all will do the job.

Paul Douglass
03-03-2006, 10:44 AM
After seeing some of the old Japanese crafts and watched some work, I'd be tempted to listen to them. They may not do things the most modern way, but they know how to do what they do.

Curt Fuller
03-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Of course Stu, you could try rolling some chicken bones on the dungeon floor while you dance in your rain coat chanting...."don'tdryoutdon'tdryoutdon'tdryout" You have to be facing the east while chanting.......there's couple of other things that go along with this but I don't remember them all..............Good Luck!:rolleyes: :D

Man, when I think about all the KFC bones I've thrown in the trash. Who would have ever thunk it.