PDA

View Full Version : Making a Font Bold - Help

Pete Simmons
03-02-2006, 9:14 PM
Trying to use Vivaldi with Bolding in Corel 12. Font comes up but bold button is not alive. Goto Microsoft Word or Outlook Express and try the Vivaldi font and Bold is available.

I also have a font viewer program and bold is there also for Vivaldi.

Why not in Corel?

Bruce Volden
03-02-2006, 9:22 PM
Pete,
Sorry not much help. If you right click the black color in the pallette it will "embolden?' the outline somewhat and will make it a little more distinct. Bruce

Hilton Lister
03-03-2006, 1:07 AM
Why not just use the Outline tool?

Pete Simmons
03-03-2006, 1:57 PM
Any ideas why Vivaldi font bolding works in other programs but not Corel?

Could someone try bolding Vivaldi in Corel and let me know if it works.

Lee DeRaud
03-03-2006, 2:52 PM
Any ideas why Vivaldi font bolding works in other programs but not Corel?

Could someone try bolding Vivaldi in Corel and let me know if it works.No bold for that font in Corel X3.

"Normal", "bold", "italic", and "bold italic" are actually separate fonts. Looking in C:\WINDOWS\Fonts, I see a 'vivaldii.ttf' (Vivaldi Italic) but no corresponding 'vivaldib' or vivaldibi'. I seem to recall that Word can emulate bold and italic for fonts that don't provide those properties.

Looks like Corel does not have that feature...guess they figured that people that needed it could emulate it with contour (for bold) and/or skew (for italic) after converting a string of text to curves.

Jerry Allen
03-03-2006, 3:07 PM
I would help but I do not seem to have that font on my CGS 12 disk3.
If it's fron an older version, I have passed them along long ago.
Is it possible that the file was kludged from an old MAC file? Perhaps it's not fully TTF compatible.

Lee's right, if there is not a separate file for Bold, you get what you get. Use Contour.

Pete Simmons
03-03-2006, 6:06 PM
Thanks for the answers. Not so much in need of the bold option just wondering why Word and Outlook had them. I had looked in the font folder and saw there was no bold so it working in Word and Outlook. Made me wonder.

BTW - I test engraved the basic font along with the one where I clicked on black and it looked kinda bolded. They both looked the same on wood. They look quite different on the screen.

Jerry Allen
03-03-2006, 6:14 PM
Also, you should be able to thicken the outline.

Rodne Gold
03-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Putting an outline on the font will actually not really do the same as using a bold version of it and is a double edged sword as thickening up the outline can do all sorts of things you dont want like making letters run into each other and changing the inners of letters. Often more useful is using a WHITE outline around very small lettering when lasering as it will stop letters running into each other and often stop blurriness due to the heat affected zone either side of the engraving.
If you have the bold version of the font in other packages , you should have it in Corel. Try deleting and reinstalling the font or use the font navigator that came with corel to install the bold version.