PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the Scropion hollowing syst.?

Curtis O. Seebeck
03-02-2006, 8:52 PM
I would like to get a better hollowing system than the Hollowmaster I currently have. I was looking on Don Pencil's site at the Scorion system and it seems like it would be a good tool at a good price. He has seconds and blemished ones available for $165 for the complete Scorpion set (not Scorp/Stinger combo).

For those who have them or have used them, what do you think? Will it allow me to go deeper through a smaller opening than my Hollowmaster? Would you buy one again?

For those who don't have one but have used one, why don't you own one? Did not care for it and if so, why?

Thanks for any advice. I would like to get something but just can not afford to spend the big bucks on some of the other systems out.

Mark Cothren
03-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Curtis, I have the Scorpion - recently purchased. I'm still trying to figger it out exactly, but I have been able to hollow out a couple of chunks. I will like it mo' better when I get my lathe height adjusted properly.

I have a big learning curve to overcome still, so I can't tell you a whole lot about it. I will say it seems to be a quality tool and has plenty of parts...:D

Cecil Arnold
03-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Curtis, I recently got the Jamison, the price was about the same, but had to construct the rear rest (about 2 hours) and didn't buy the laser even though I could see how it would be handy. Once set up it is easy to use and extremely controllable. Take a look at before you buy.

Kurt Rosenzweig
03-03-2006, 11:12 AM
I have it and like it alot! Keep an eye on EBAY. Don P Sells his seconds every now and then on there. I got my set for $150. I couldn't tell it was a second! It's a good tool even at regular price! Nice and heavy! Hey Curtis! Got any more of that spalted Hackleberry? Love to get a BIG OLE CHUNK!

Jim Stoppleworth
03-03-2006, 11:51 AM
I don't have a hollowing tool, but LOML saw a turned vase the other day and wondered when I'd be doing something like that. I explained I needed a new tool to do that.
So what is a good hollowing to get to start with besides my 3/8" bowl gouge?
Scorpion, Hollowmaster, Kelton, others?

Sorry I can't answer your question Curtis I'm not that far yet. Can't believe how far you've come with your turning in such a short time, envious I'm not progessing that fast.

Jim
P.S. How's the baby?

Curtis O. Seebeck
03-03-2006, 4:50 PM
Jim,

The baby is doing GREAT! Thanks for asking and thanks for buying blanks from me to help out with the adoption fees!

For the money, I think it is hard to beat a hollowmaster. I really like mine, the only thing is it is a large diameter tool and requires a fairly large entry hole. Other than that, I think it works just fine.

Oh yeah, thanks also for the really kind comments on my turning progression!

Peter Dougenik
03-03-2006, 4:52 PM
My wife got me the Scorpion/Stinger combo last xmas. overall I really like it, it's a good setup and has a ton of versatility. my only gripes are that the arm brace did not fit into the socket, most likely due to excess chrome plating, and the set screws for the smaller tools (stinger?) are soooo dang small that they're easy to strip. I was going to send the kit back for a replacement due to the arm brace but I wanted to use it on my time off from work so a quick touch-up at the grinder fixed that issue.

The bits also come completely profile-less, but as I recall you're proficient with tools so that won't be an issue for you....me on the other hand, it forced me to get some practice at the grinder! ;)

Jim Bell
03-03-2006, 11:54 PM
I purchased the Jamison system today. I spent the last two days in my shop with Lyle instructing me. Before today I had neither used or one or seen one in action. I bought the complete system and just wish I had one sooner. I am glad he was here to set it up and explain the details of his system. The inside of my hollow form has a respectable finish, but could use a little sanding for perfection.A nicer man you will never meet. The hollowing system w/ laser is around $400.00.
Jim

Jim Becker
03-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Jim...you're a lucky guy to get instruction from Lyle directly! He's a nice fellow and a great artist. I also have the Jamison system and have been very pleased. I also like that I can put alternative "front ends" on it and have started to use Trent Bosch's boring bars...they are heavier.

Gary DeWitt
03-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Of course, every tool maker out there feels they have the best solution to hollowing. It's difficult to plunk down the cash these tools go for without some idea how well they do their job.
Here is a link to many articles, several of which deal with hollowing systems and review their relative merits.
http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lyn.html
A lot of reading, but I hope it helps with tool selection.