PDA

View Full Version : Howdy folks.

Don Orr
03-02-2006, 8:51 PM
Good evening everybody, I have been lurking here for a little while and have posted a few comments but have not really introduced myself.
My name is Don and I'm a woodturning addict. I'm here for the 12 step program-on how to be a better turner.
I've been turning about 5 years and am very active in our local turning club, the Adirondack Woodturners Association in New York's Capital Region. I turn all kinds of stuff but still have lots to learn before I'm done.
This a real neat place and you all have a great sense of humor. I chuckle pretty regular when I'm reading the threads. There are some outstanding turners here as well. The information and encouragement for those less experienced is also to be commended.
I'm going to try and post a picture of a little piece I made recently and hope it shows up. See y'all round the Creek-and in the vortex!

Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Don Orr
03-02-2006, 8:56 PM
OK, I guess it made it. This is a little cherry burl HF about 3" high & 2" diameter. It had a big open crack when I started so I ground up some bark and chips and filled the crack using CA glue. Watco DO finish is all for now.
Gotta figure out this avatar thing and signature-any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks, Don

Don Orr
03-02-2006, 9:04 PM
While I'm at it, reckoned I'd show a small Birch crotch bowl too. About 5" diameter, 2.5 " high. Also Watco DO finish-not buffed yet either.

George Conklin
03-02-2006, 9:11 PM
Welcome, Don.

George

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-02-2006, 9:29 PM
Howdy right back at you Don!

I see you figured out we like pictures!!

Nice looking stuff!

Cheers!

Pat Salter
03-02-2006, 9:30 PM
Looking at your work I regret to inform you that you are not qualified for the 12 step program on being a better turner here. This is because you are on step 15 or 16 already ;)

Nice work and welcome.

Ernie Nyvall
03-02-2006, 9:30 PM
Welcome to the Creek Don. There are lots of good people here.

Hey, nice work... that's some burl in the vase.

For the avatar, go to the User CP... top left and click on edit avatar. Once there, choose file just like you did for the bowl/vase pics. Course, you'll have to make a small file for the avatar. Edit signature is also in the User CP. Hope this helps.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2006, 9:34 PM
Welcome Don. You will like this place with lots of good people and lots of knowledge.

Those are some nice looking bowls.

Bob Noles
03-02-2006, 9:45 PM
Looking at your work I regret to inform you that you are not qualified for the 12 step program on being a better turner here. This is because you are on step 15 or 16 already ;)

Nice work and welcome.

Pat,

I'm sure Don was talking about teaching the first 12 steps :cool:

Welcome Don and thanks for the great pics. It keeps King Thong happy :D

Corey Hallagan
03-02-2006, 9:49 PM
Welcome to SMC! Very nice work, can't wait to see more!

Corey

Mark Cothren
03-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Welcome Don! That's some nice work you've posted there - looking forward to seeing lots more of it!!!

Thanks for the pictures!

Travis Stinson
03-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Welcome Don. That's some great work you posted. Looking forward to seeing some more.:cool:

Andy Hoyt
03-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Well, hey Don! Nice stuff, and we're happy to have join the fray.

Dick Parr
03-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Welcome to the Creek Don.

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Welcome to SMC Don......

Thanks for posting some pics. This avoids the Pic Police from coming after you.:rolleyes: :D
Nice Work Don!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Welcome to the Creek Don! Nice of you to join the Turner's forum. You might as well cause Andy will push you into the vortex anyway!:eek: :D

Mike Ramsey
03-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Welcome Don, that's some good looking work!

Jim Dunn
03-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Welcome Don!. Nice looking work. When do your classes start?:)

Carole Valentine
03-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Well look what the cat drug in!:D Welcome Don!

Bill Stevener
03-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Hi Don,

Welcome to the Creek. Very nice turnings. I see you live in the land of plentiful wood. One area in the country that a turner can turn forever and never run out of wood. Twenty five years ago, I lived in Carlisle, abut ten miles N. of Cobleskill, for about fifteen years. About all I miss is the free wood.

Great bunch of folks hear at the Creek, looking forward to seeing more of your work, stop by often.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Jim Ketron
03-03-2006, 12:07 AM
Nice work Don!
Glad you steped up to the plate!

John Hart
03-03-2006, 6:02 AM
Welcome Don!!!! Always like to see new victims!!:D Nice looking work you have there and looking forward to more.:)

Ed Scolforo
03-03-2006, 6:24 AM
Welcome, Don. I'm not too far away, over in the Berkshires. I wish WE had a turning club here:( . The Creek is a great place to hang out.
Ed

Karl Laustrup
03-03-2006, 6:36 AM
Glad to have you aboard Don.

I was born in Troy and I've still have family there. I try and get back to visit every couple of years. Maybe next time we can meet in person. There's a restaurant on route 9 up your way, The Ripe or maybe Red Tomato, that we like. Do you know it? Great food.

Karl

Glenn Clabo
03-03-2006, 8:10 AM
I'm so disappointed:( ...I thought we were going to get a new member of the bonker brigade...then I see this wonderful stuff you do. It's lonely here with us few knowledge challenged struggling along.

Anyway...Welcome to the crazy side of SMC.:D

Glenn Hodges
03-03-2006, 8:13 AM
Those woods in your neighborhood harbor some beauties. These pieces show you are proficient in the turning craft, and we welcome you and your pictures to our humble abode.

Tyler Howell
03-03-2006, 8:19 AM
Just what we need another spin guy:rolleyes:
But you come with great pix and talent so I want to welcome you to the creek and issue a Picture Police Good Seal of Approval;)

Mark Cothren
03-03-2006, 8:20 AM
...our humble abode.

I had to double-check and make sure I was at the right place...:confused: ;) :D

Don Orr
03-03-2006, 9:03 AM
Thanks everybody for the warm welcome-much appreciated. Looking forward to hanging out here.
Ernie-thanks for the tips-very helpful.
Bill S.-Carlisle is about 30 minutes west of me on Route 20-not much there but a lot of trees and a great park called Wintergreen with a big waterfalls.
Ed S.-you"re sure welcome to come to our club anytime. Check adirondackwoodturners.org for more info. I just did the demo at our meeting this week. There is also a fairly new club down in the Catskill Mtn area now. Also a club somewhere in Conn. I believe.
Karl-Yes, the Ripe Tomato is a very popular place-great food. I'm in the book if you get out this way!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Don

Feels Like Home Here!:D

John Shuk
03-03-2006, 12:52 PM
:D Hi Don,
Welcome. I've actually met you at the Albany Symposium. Good to see you here.
John

Jim Becker
03-03-2006, 2:34 PM
Welcome aboard, Don! And keep on posting your work...it's quite nice!

Keith Burns
03-03-2006, 2:46 PM
Great work you have there Don. We all are egerly awaiting more :) :)

Joe Tonich
03-03-2006, 3:02 PM
Nice work!! Better be careful or Mark'll target ya for an interview. :eek: :p

Welcome aboard.........:D

Joe

John Miliunas
03-03-2006, 3:03 PM
Hey, not exactly sure how I managed to miss you the first time around but, welcome to the Creek, Don!!! I certainly hope you enjoy your stay here. I see that you have already (and wisely!:D ) chosen to passify the "Picture Police" with some very nice work!!! :) Come often, stay long and keep those pics coming! :) :cool: