PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #31 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
03-02-2006, 6:32 PM
March 2nd, 2006

Absolutely horrendous morning today. Woke to a very fine mist/drizzle that had frozen on everything. Barely got the car doors open. Had to walk like a penguin too.

The drywallers showed up about 9:30. Not sure but I think they got held up with the weather. 3 Mexicans, only one of which speaks poquito Englais. Oh well, they hustle and when I left at 3 PM they had a little more than half the ceiling finished. They were hustling on that, because the GC has the insulation for the attic scheduled tomorrow.

The gas company showed up to install the meter bracket. Dave from Top-Hat, the HVAC contractor, got there about 12:30. By 3 PM they had more than half the pipe installed for the gas. Said he'd be able to fire up the furnace tomorrow. He'll be back to finish up tomorrow as will the drywallers.

I spent the better part of the day making stairs so we can get into the crawl space. First time to make stairs. They won't be pretty, but I think they'll do the job. Just hope Richard Wolf doesn't see them. :o I'll get some pix tomorrow after I get them finished and in place.

The interior really looks different now that the rock is on the ceiling. It's really going to look different after they start the walls. Ever closer.

End of week update tomorrow. And I'll remember the "Weekend Doin's" thread. I PROMISE!!:)

This is the area under the kitchen with the insulation in place.

The ceiling in the kitchen.

Looking from the kitchen area through the living room toward the hall.

Karl

Brett Baldwin
03-02-2006, 8:43 PM
Its amazing how 1/2" inch of sheathing on a wall can make the space look so much smaller.

With the speed and smoothness that this is going together, you may be able to make some side money by charging to give out your GC's name. Of course if you want to go the other way and sing his praises fully, you may have to take out a full page add in the local paper. Maybe just buy him a case of good beer and call it even.;)

Jim Becker
03-03-2006, 11:26 AM
"Rocking" and rolling, Karl! Thanks for the update.

I think we have identified "our architect" for the prospective addition. I can only hope we can also find a GC that is as efficient as yours!

John Miliunas
03-03-2006, 12:08 PM
You see there...Now I'm getting real worried!!! A kitchen in a WW shop???:eek: Living room???? :confused: And look at the height of those ceilings! :mad: Where you gonna' have room for the equipment??? :confused: Those floors going to be sturdy enough for the X-31??? Sheeesh...I sure do hope so. Man, the more I think about it, the more I'd be apt to suggest your using this place as a house and have them come back to build the shop. Me thinks someone really missed the mark on this particular shop design!:eek: Well, anyhow, glad you're happy with the progress, as it does appear to be going well. :D :cool:

Karl Laustrup
03-03-2006, 5:59 PM
"Rocking" and rolling, Karl! Thanks for the update.

I think we have identified "our architect" for the prospective addition. I can only hope we can also find a GC that is as efficient as yours!

Glad you're moving along Jim. When are you hoping you can start the build process?

Karl

Jerry Olexa
03-03-2006, 8:14 PM
You see there...Now I'm getting real worried!!! A kitchen in a WW shop???:eek: Living room???? :confused: And look at the height of those ceilings! :mad: Where you gonna' have room for the equipment??? :confused: Those floors going to be sturdy enough for the X-31??? Sheeesh...I sure do hope so. Man, the more I think about it, the more I'd be apt to suggest your using this place as a house and have them come back to build the shop. Me thinks someone really missed the mark on this particular shop design!:eek: Well, anyhow, glad you're happy with the progress, as it does appear to be going well. :D :cool:

John, I think you're right. It would be a little big for a shop and the skylights, kitchen, whirlpool. So maybe it should be a home and build the shop later:D :) Karl, looking good. You are cookin':)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-03-2006, 8:52 PM
Karl........Your GC and subs are flying! I know people who started building homes and 18 months later still weren't in them. They had to hire a lawyer to settle problems with the GC! Looking good!