PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visit - Dick Strauss

John Hart
03-02-2006, 6:15 PM
Dick Strauss arrived today, to buy a bandsaw and do a wood swap. He also brought some of his bowls to show. Very nice work....(he doesn't own a digital camera so that's why we never get to see anything:rolleyes: )

After picking up the Bandsaw (Delta 14" 3/4 HP) at my BIL's house, we headed off to the woodlot with two chainsaws

Here's Dick cutting up a large Cherry...paying careful attention to what he is doing.

Here...He's NOT paying attention to what he is doing

We loaded up the car til it wouldn't hold anymore

And headed back to my place where we stuffed another 100 pounds or so more into the car. His tires were screaming for mercy.:D

It was a good day. Thanks for coming Dick!!:)

Don Baer
03-02-2006, 6:32 PM
Nice visit but don't you guys use safety glasses and hearing protection when you do that stuff..:eek:

Jim Dunn
03-02-2006, 6:49 PM
They were spraying laquer before they started up those chainsaws I'll bet.

Kurt Rosenzweig
03-02-2006, 7:00 PM
I'll leave this one alone! Could of been me in those pictures! Been using a chain saw for a lotta years and never use much more then safty glasses when they happen to be available. I know that's no excuse but thats just the way it is! I know safety it a big issue , but I see tree surgeons doing the same thing day in and day out! To each there own! Great score Dick!

Gary Max
03-02-2006, 7:05 PM
So where is the bandsaw at---back seat???????????
And what is all that white stuff----we spent the afternoon plowing gardens

Don Baer
03-02-2006, 7:23 PM
Don't mean to be critical about how other people work but since I now have partial hearing loss from to many years of not taking proper precautions I have become a real fan of PPE. It doesn't hurt that I work for a safety company either so I have access to a of the latest and greatest stuff...;)

John Hart
03-02-2006, 7:29 PM
Just for the record Don...I did have my safety glasses...but I left the earplugs on the counter on the way out the door. I do agree. It only takes a millisecond to lose your sight...and I kinda need that to get from place to place. I wished that I had extra to offer to Dick...I even checked under the seats when we got there!...but alas...:o

John Hart
03-02-2006, 7:32 PM
So where is the bandsaw at---back seat???????????
And what is all that white stuff----we spent the afternoon plowing gardens

Yup...The bandsaw was torn down and separated from its stand and fit quite nicely behind the passengers seat. Basically, the whole car was available for wood storage. We used every cubic foot I think!:D

Bob Noles
03-02-2006, 7:39 PM
John,

Looks like y'all had a good time despite the sore finger :eek:

What's all that white styrofoam laying all over the place up there and why are you wearing all the heavy clothes. Sheesh..... it's been 73* for 2 straight days down here and I've been sweating :cool: :p

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2006, 8:12 PM
John you guys must shred a lot of styrofoam around there. Bout every picture you take outside has that stuff lying around.

Looks like a good visit.

Corey Hallagan
03-02-2006, 8:51 PM
Looks like it was a productive day for Dick! Thanks for the pics.

Corey

Michael Stafford
03-02-2006, 9:22 PM
80 degrees here today. Do you live near a popcorn field? I saw all that white stuff in the pictures and I figured it got so hot the popcorn popped and covered the ground there. And all those clothes, you guys wearing them for protection from wood chips or what?:p

Dick Parr
03-02-2006, 10:25 PM
I noticed the same thing Mike and it was 80 here also. I was going to send a big bottle of Head and Shoulders for a dandruff problem :eek: until I saw the word snow in your note. I forgot they get that stuff up there.:D

But it does look like they had a good time even in the cold, damp white stuff.;)

Mike Ramsey
03-02-2006, 10:27 PM
What? there was no room on top of the car!

Dick Strauss
03-03-2006, 1:26 PM
Mike,
I wasn't willing to take a chance with the wood by putting it on the roof without a roof
rack.

John,
thanks for being such a gracious host. Creekers out there will be hard pressed to meet a nicer guy! We had a fantastic day all in all. The ice storm didn't cooperate but we didn't care.

John did try to hop in my lap for sympathy once. He told me we should take one car. I was a little wise to him though because I immediately suggested we take two to be able to get the BS, lathe, and wood. Seriously though, John was a real trooper. I'm sure he didn't feel like it but we loaded the BS, lathe, and wood with no complaints from John.

Our day started off with a little chat and wood exchange. John showed me his wood stash and I showed him some of mine. I gave John some large maple and apple crotch bowl blanks. I also gave him some smaller locust, yew, mulberry, maple blanks. He gave me a bunch of buckeye and cherry that is to die for.

Later, we went to John BIL's place to pick up my new Delta BS and a lathe for a fellow Creeker. The BS was in very good condition. His generous BIL also threw in some free extra goodies. Needless to say, he seemed like a really good guy!

After we had the BS and lathes taken apart and loaded, we headed to the famous log dump. We found all kinds of cherry, poplar, sycamore, maple, dunno wood, etc. The logs were frozen together because of the ice storm. We did lots of kicking and pulling to get the logs separated. Needless to say, I ended up with wood in the front passenger seat of my Accord because I couldn't bear to leave it there. I ended up with some cherry, spalted sycamore, buckeye, and spalted dunno wood. Many of the pieces I ended up with were 16-18" cubes. I had them in the trunk, back seat, and passenger seat. All of this packed around my BS in the back seat. I must have had over 1000lbs of wood in my car. I told John my car drove smooth like a Caddy with all of the weight in it.

After that we headed back to John's. I met his lovely wife and kids. John is a blessed man but it couldn't happen to a nicer guy! John showed me around his older home. His house still has cool stuff like pocket doors and real wood trim. I forgot to mention one of the highlights of John's wooodworking abilities. He showed me an old upright piano that he had restored. To say it was spectacular was an understatement. The piano has the most beautiful curly mahogany across the whole front. I've never seen a piano with such beautiful wood in all of my life (I'm seen quite a few pianos in my day). John definitely did a great job of bringing that old beauty back to life.

I got home about 7:30PM after running through Cleveland at rush hour. Boy was I beat and starving! The car stayed loaded all night because I was too lazy or tired to do it.

I'll get the BS put back together and all of the blanks processed with anchorseal in the next few days. I'll see if I can borrow a digi-cam to share some pics with others.

Thanks again John,
Dick

Ken Fitzgerald
03-03-2006, 2:06 PM
Dick...........Congrats on the great haul! I'm always envious of opportunities to meet other Creekers!

John Miliunas
03-03-2006, 2:25 PM
'Spose you didn't have a little trailer you coulda' hooked up to that back of that thing, huh? :D Quite a haul, I'd say and yes, it's always a pleasure to meet up with a fellow Creeker! :) :cool:

Joe Tonich
03-03-2006, 3:13 PM
Man.........this is the second time I missed a day trip with you and Dick.....:( :(

One of these days the stars are gonna align and my luck will get better. We might haveta look into gettin a BBQ goin, but, I'm hoping to get with you guys one of these days...........ya have too much fun!:D

Joe

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-03-2006, 9:09 PM
Sounds like a wonderful day, guys.

Bruce

Glenn Hodges
03-04-2006, 7:11 AM
Great trip to a nice guy.