PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy a GE Profile refrigerator either.

Allen Bookout
03-02-2006, 5:34 PM
The GE Profile ice dispenser is horrible. Ice cubes lodge in the chute and you have to pry them out of the chute to get it to working again. Happens all of the time.

Jim DeLaney
03-02-2006, 6:05 PM
The GE Profile ice dispenser is horrible. Ice cubes lodge in the chute and you have to pry them out of the chute to get it to working again. Happens all of the time.

Second that! Also, on mine, the water valve solenoid - for both the water-in-door and the icemaker went out about once a year. This problem was so well known that the local appliance parts dealer kept the solenoids right under the counter. He could spot one of them from the parking lot! On two occasions, I walked thaough the door with the old on in my hand, and he had a new one laying on the counter by the time I got there. I'd pay the $47 (wholesale) price for it, and he'd send me off with a "see you within a year" comment.

BTW, when I moved, I left the refer at the old house, and bought a new Westinghouse here. In a year, I've already had to have the defroster heaters replaced in it, too, so I may have yet another lemon...

Lee DeRaud
03-02-2006, 6:17 PM
The GE Profile ice dispenser is horrible. Ice cubes lodge in the chute and you have to pry them out of the chute to get it to working again. Happens all of the time.One of the big ones, like 26CF? Friend of mine has the same problem. But my 19CF of similar vintage ('94-'95) never jams...and they look identical inside except the ice bin on hers is wider.

Allen Bookout
03-02-2006, 6:46 PM
One of the big ones, like 26CF? Friend of mine has the same problem. But my 19CF of similar vintage ('94-'95) never jams...and they look identical inside except the ice bin on hers is wider.
You are right Lee, It is a 25.5 cubic ft. model and I suppose that they call it a 26 cubic ft model. I may try to figure out a way to put in some plastic pieces to limit the amount of ice that goes down the chute and see if that helps.

Thanks for the information!

I guess that switching to Westinghouse as Jim did is not the answer.

Allen

Joe Pelonio
03-02-2006, 7:20 PM
We have a GE, don't know the model but it has cubes or crushed and water in the door, is that the one? Sometimes the chute clogs and you don't notice, later it's all quiet when 3-4 cubes fly onto the kitchen floor.
Our Golden Retireiver then runs in and eats them. We've never had to actually pry them out though. We do find that if not using it much the
cubes falling out of the tray get jammed under the mechanism, but we usually catch it in time and clear it. On our previous Kenmore we had it 18 years and replaced the icemaker 4 times, it would do that and strip out the plastic gears. I got to where I could change it out in 20 minutes.

Jim Becker
03-02-2006, 7:38 PM
Haven't had a problem with our GE Profile Arctica cabinet-depth side-by-side, other than an extra ice cube or three occasionally escaping to the brick floor when one pulls the cup away too quickly.

John Shuk
03-02-2006, 7:48 PM
I have the big profile 28 cf if I'm not mistaken. I've had no problem.

Bart Leetch
03-02-2006, 9:32 PM
The local appliance sales & service won't even carry or sell GE anymore he told me they are to troublesome needing to many repairs & he didn't want to pawn off those kind of problems on his customers. He felt that his customers deserved better.

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2006, 9:55 PM
The local appliance sales & service won't even carry or sell GE anymore he told me they are to troublesome needing to many repairs & he didn't want to pawn off those kind of problems on his customers. He felt that his customers deserved better.

Yea, I've heard and been told the same thing. That's the primary reason why I don't own a single GE applicance of any kind.:D

Art Mulder
03-02-2006, 10:27 PM
This is why I have no interest in buying a fridge with a water or ice dispenser. takes up space in the fridge, requires a special hookup, and is yet another thing to go wrong.

Quite happy with my upside-down Kenmore (freezer on the bottom, no more bending!)

...art

Jim Becker
03-03-2006, 11:11 AM
This is why I have no interest in buying a fridge with a water or ice dispenser. takes up space in the fridge, requires a special hookup, and is yet another thing to go wrong.
I used to feel that way, but having filtered (and cold) water/ice available at any time has greatly improved both my and my family's water consumption. The Brita is nice for my espresso machine, but gets old really fast when you are doing a lot of water during the day and evening. That said, I do wish for the bottom freezer format over the side-by side...it's much more efficient storage.