PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy Whirlpool waterheaters.....

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2006, 2:44 PM
Well....I bought and installed a new top-o-the-line Whirlpool water heater about 5 years ago. I've been repairing said water heater every single year due to a thermocouple problem. It all came to a "head" this week. I decided to call a Pro Plumber to come out and "fix" it. He drove up, saw what water heater it is and said:

I can't fix this water heater. It's had a bad design flaw since it was put on the market 5 years ago. American Standard was in a hurry to get this new design on the market and shipped them out knowing about the design flaw for the thermocouple. The only way to get this done right is to replace the water heater.

I said:
OK....so what's this going to cost?

Plumber:
$700

I say ok....and send them on their way.

I call Whirlpool and talk with them about it. Yes'sir.....it's a known problem. We can't replace the water heater as it is a servicable unit. Just have it repaired every 3 months as it goes out, send us the bill and we'll reimburse you the cost of the parts and labor. I say: But this is a design flaw and can't you just authorize me to get a new one? They say: No'sir....just get it repaired as often as necessary and send us the receipts for reimbursement.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

So now, it's going to be a total of FOUR DAYS without hot water in the house of 6 people. I'm just a "tad" upset.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Don Baer
03-02-2006, 3:25 PM
WOW Dennis, I'd be mad too. I replace my HW heater about 3 years ago with a GE from the Orange borg. It's the 50 gal type self cleaning and has a 12 year warantee. Fast recover, and had a built in igniter. The thing has been great. Total cost (I did it myself) including new lines was less then $400.

Bart Leetch
03-02-2006, 3:42 PM
I imagine that they will only pay for the repair as long as the warranty is in force & then will thumb their nose at you from then on. I believe this is what they are waiting for. They figure that this will cost them less in the long run.

Steve Ash
03-02-2006, 3:50 PM
Dennis, I know how you feel. I have a Rheem hot water heater that has been giving us some problems. 3 years in a row now there has been a problem with it that has caused us to go without hot water in the middle of the winter. This last go around cost us close to $500.00 to get it fixed. And it always takes several days for them to get the "right" parts in and get us fired up again. My wife gets so cranky when she has to go over to Mom and Dad's to use their shower.

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2006, 4:24 PM
Well, this one is under warranty for another 4 years. But we've wrestled with this water heater from year 1. The plumber told us today that the best unit out is the new line of Rheem water heaters. I guess we'll be getting a new water heater tomorrow.

Smelling and stinking in Conway, AR......

Don Baer
03-02-2006, 4:28 PM
Dennis,
I think Rheem is owned by GE. The one I got from the Borg had an instruction sheet that said Rheem on it.

Steve Ash
03-02-2006, 4:30 PM
plumber told us today that the best unit out is the new line of Rheem water heaters.

Well I guess I must have the only lemon that Rheem ever made. All in all Rheem is supposed to be one of the best, and I've had quite a few installed in the new homes I've built over the years without any callbacks (just mine) I hope you have great results with yours.

Jim Becker
03-02-2006, 4:40 PM
No matter what the brand name on the label, there are only a very few companies that actually "make" water heaters...kinda like woodworking tools!

Bummer, Dennis. Tough choice: bear with what you have and get it fixed frequently or put it in the trash and spend the bucks for a new unit.

Bob Weisner
03-02-2006, 4:48 PM
Is this a Gas or electric water heater?

Bob Weisner
03-02-2006, 4:51 PM
NEWS from CPSC
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 16, 2005
Release # 05-274 Robertshaw’s Hotline: (888) 225-1071
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

CPSC, Robertshaw Controls Co. Announce Recall of Gas Control Valves on Water Heaters
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the manufacturer named below, today announced voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed

Name of Product: Robertshaw R110 Series Gas Control Valves

Units: About 178,000

Manufacturer: Robertshaw Controls Co., of Long Beach, Calif.

Hazard: Screws on some water heater valves could break. If this happens, gas could leak from the valve, which poses a risk of gas explosion and fire.

Incidents/Injuries: None reported.

Description: The R110 Gas Control Valves being recalled are installed on natural and liquid propane (LP) gas water heaters. The recalled valves were manufactured between July 25, 2005 and August 14, 2005 with production date codes 5-31 through and including 5-33, although not all valves with these date codes are affected. The recalled valves were installed on the following water heater brands: American Proline, Bradford White, GE, GSW, Hotpoint, Jetglas, John Wood, Lochinvar, Premier Plus, Powerflex, Rheem, Richmond, Ruud, Vanguard, Whirlpool, and U.S. Craftmaster. The model and serial number can be found on the manufacturer’s label on the water heater. Electric water heaters are not included.

Sold: Installed on water heaters by gas appliancedistributors and retailers, including Home Depot and Lowe’s, as well as plumbers and plumbing/heating equipment suppliers. The gas valves also were sold separately through gas appliance service providers. Water heaters sold or serviced prior to July 25, 2005 are not affected.

Assembled in: Mexico

Remedy: Consumers that believe they may have an affected water heater, please click on www.robertshaw.com. Have the model and serial numbers of your water heater ready. For further assistance, please contact Robertshaw. The model and serial numbers can be found on the manufacturer's label on the water heater . Robertshaw will arrange for a free repair or replacement, if necessary. If you smell gas near the appliance or in the building, immediately leave the area and call your gas company or a certified gas technician to investigate the cause.

Consumer Contact: Call Robertshaw at (888) 225-1071 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. ET , Monday through Saturday, or visit the firm’s Web site at www.robertshaw.com to review a list of the appliances with recalled valves and to register for the recall.

---

Send the link for this page to a friend! The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $700 billion annually. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard or can injure children. The CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed significantly to the 30 percent decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC's web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html. To join a CPSC email subscription list, please go to www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.asp. Consumers can obtain this release and recall information at CPSC's Web site at www.cpsc.gov.

Steve Clardy
03-02-2006, 5:41 PM
Think I would either call said company service co. repairman and let them eat the repairs, or pull it out and trash it. And go get a new $250.00 one and install yourself.

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2006, 6:54 PM
Is this a Gas or electric water heater?

Natural Gas.....
The control valve is not part of this problem. I bought this one in 2002 anyway.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Good luck Dennis! Nothing burns me up quicker than feeling like I've bought a lemon and then having the manufacturer treat me badly on top of it! I used to be strictly a Chevy man......then my new '83 Blazer went through 5 transmissions in 4 1/2 years. I've never lost a transmission in any other car I've owned. BTW I haven't owned a Chevy since.........the truck was a lemon and the company treated me like dirt............:mad:

Dennis Peacock
03-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Good luck Dennis! Nothing burns me up quicker than feeling like I've bought a lemon and then having the manufacturer treat me badly on top of it! I used to be strictly a Chevy man......then my new '83 Blazer went through 5 transmissions in 4 1/2 years. I've never lost a transmission in any other car I've owned. BTW I haven't owned a Chevy since.........the truck was a lemon and the company treated me like dirt............:mad:

I hear ya buddy.....I've been on the phone with Whirlpool and now I'm exchanging emails with a higher up service rep. No luck so far, buy you can bet that I will tell anyone I can to NOT buy Whirlpool products.!!!:mad: :mad:

Tom Pritchard
03-03-2006, 4:34 AM
Hi Dennis, sorry to hear you're having such nasty problems with your water heater!

You may want to consider an A.O. Smith water heater http://www.hotwater.com/

I installed a new one the day we brought my youngest son home from the hospital, and we had to replace it this year due to a leak in the tank. He turned 16 in December! Not bad for a $300 heater! I replaced it with another A.O. Smith, lit the pilot, set the temperature, and haven't touched it since. Might be worth a look. Good luck Dennis, I know how aggravating these problems can be!

Curt Harms
03-03-2006, 8:00 AM
I really hope I don't regret posting this. We have an A.O. Smith that came with a new Townhouse bought in 1995. Being builder installed it's probably not top shelf. Except for draining the bottom occassionally and replacing the anode, I haven't touched it. Now that I've posted this, I'll probably go home to 6" of water in the basement!

David Fried
03-03-2006, 8:26 AM
Dennis,

I would get a new water heater but keep the old one. Just let it sit in a corner. Set up a chron job to remind you to get it repaired every three months for the next four years and send them the bill.

Dave Fried

Dennis Peacock
03-03-2006, 9:06 AM
Dennis,

I would get a new water heater but keep the old one. Just let it sit in a corner. Set up a chron job to remind you to get it repaired every three months for the next four years and send them the bill.

Dave Fried

Funny....wayyyyy to funny!!!!!! But an idea!!!!:rolleyes: :D :D

Jerry Clark
03-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Dennis, I would gather all the repair bills, write down all the correspondence concerning the response from Whirlpool and have an attorney write a letter to the company-- Or you can do the same yourself and go to small claims court. I am sure that they will not go to court! In many states they have a "Lemon Law" after three fixes they have to refund the $$ or give you a new unit.:rolleyes:

Chris Gregory
03-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Well....I bought and installed a new top-o-the-line Whirlpool water heater about 5 years ago. I've been repairing said water heater every single year due to a thermocouple problem. It all came to a "head" this week. I decided to call a Pro Plumber to come out and "fix" it. He drove up, saw what water heater it is and said:

I can't fix this water heater. It's had a bad design flaw since it was put on the market 5 years ago. American Standard was in a hurry to get this new design on the market and shipped them out knowing about the design flaw for the thermocouple. The only way to get this done right is to replace the water heater.

I said:
OK....so what's this going to cost?

Plumber:
$700

I say ok....and send them on their way.

I call Whirlpool and talk with them about it. Yes'sir.....it's a known problem. We can't replace the water heater as it is a servicable unit. Just have it repaired every 3 months as it goes out, send us the bill and we'll reimburse you the cost of the parts and labor. I say: But this is a design flaw and can't you just authorize me to get a new one? They say: No'sir....just get it repaired as often as necessary and send us the receipts for reimbursement.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

So now, it's going to be a total of FOUR DAYS without hot water in the house of 6 people. I'm just a "tad" upset.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Hey Dennis,

That is terrible! Have you tried working your way up the support ladder through supervisors etc? That is a total crock they should forklift the unit and replace it! Unfortunately what they should do and what the will do can be poles apart.

Chris