PDA

View Full Version : Chip out

David Klug
03-02-2006, 2:17 PM
I ran some white oak through my thickness planer and I got some chip out. I really don't want to try to sand them out because some of them a little deep. I tried spreading some glue on them and working some sawdust in but it turned them black. Just one way of a 100 that won't work. What type of filler do you use for this type of problem? Is there a filler that I can use that will take stain? Any help will be appreciated because this is just driving me nuts. TIA.

DK

Donnie Raines
03-02-2006, 2:42 PM
No filler needed.

Try wipieng the surface of the board down with water. Allow that to soak in...this will soften the fiber of the wood. When you feed the wood through be sure to skew the angle a bit. See what happens.

Lee Schierer
03-02-2006, 3:27 PM
Before running oak through a planer it is a good idea to study the board a bit from the side. Look at one edge and see which way the majority of the ends of the grain reach the surface to be planed. Then run the board through so those ends are going \\\\\ not ///// as they go through the planer (assuming your planer head is on top of the board). This will significantly lessen the chip out.

You can also rub an old t-shirt across the surface. One way it will slip pretty easily, the other way it will drag and hang up on the surface. Feed it in in the smooth direction.

Dampening the surface will also help on difficult pieces.

Needless to say make sure you take very light passes on the final 1-3 passes and be sure your planer blades are sharp.