PDA

View Full Version : Did you hear it.....??? From all the way over here...???

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-02-2006, 1:04 PM
.....that great sucking sound, as I got completely and utterly pulled into the vortex.......... :D

Yep, darn them torpedoes, full speed ahead, give me warp 9.9 Mr. Scott!!

I cobbled the lathe together (worked well) and the I found a chunk of Blue Keyaki that was going to the fire wood pile (it's a SIN I tell you a SIN!!!).

With a 2x8 under the lathe, screwed to the worktable, the motor hung under the table attached to the leg of said table, a drive belt borrowed from Big Blue (he was not using BOTH of them) and some wiring......

Next sharpen up a scraper, and a parting tool..........

Wow, where did those two hours go....?

What did I make?

Well I've always wanted to turn one of these, but I think I should start out small and take baby steps, so I turned a little one...............

http://ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/tokyo_slugger.jpg
My very own Tokyo Slugger :D

I thought it would be a good thing to start with, give me a feel for the lathe and some tools, straight cuts, have to be consistent, and keep a form flowing.

I made the square blank round (ish) and then I ran upstairs to nuke it until it glowed..... ah.... until it was no longer warm to the touch, then I finished it.

The wood is Blue Keyaki, sanded to #600 and then a coat of clear Briwax.

So.....how'd I do for the first time out...?

Cheers!

Michael Stafford
03-02-2006, 1:16 PM
In some of the convenience stores around here you will see little bats like that hung behind the counter. They are not there for decoration. :( I hope your cute little bat is just for decorative purposes.;)

I think you did a great job. If I understand you correctly you have no previous turning experience? If that is the case, you did a wonderful job.:D

Glenn Clabo
03-02-2006, 1:20 PM
Well I'd say you done good. A simple...but elegant Bonker it be.
Admission to the Bonkers of the World Club has been submitted and will be discussed at the next meeting...at Kens house.

Keith Burns
03-02-2006, 1:23 PM
Stu, if that is in fact your first turning (which I doubt) you did a great job. Can't wait to see your second piece.:) :)

Bill Stevener
03-02-2006, 1:26 PM
Looks good this side of the pond Stu. Very nice little turning.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-02-2006, 1:29 PM
All I can say is that we better start getting these "NEW" critters credentials BEFORE we turn the vortex on.

FIRST TIME?????!!!!!

That's Great................................. Batter Up!

Bruce

Don Baer
03-02-2006, 1:30 PM
Great job stu and welcome to the spinney world.

Now lets see that bowl.

:D

Brett Baldwin
03-02-2006, 1:31 PM
Looks like you've turned yourself an awesome little tire-checker to me.

03-02-2006, 1:33 PM
Stu, if that is in fact your first turning (which I doubt) you did a great job. Can't wait to see your second piece.:) :)
A very long time ago in school I did some turning, but it was in brass, and some very basic wood turning, but I did not like it :eek: (stupid kids eh?)

The only other thing I've every turned is this......

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/turnings/turning_done.jpg

On my crappy little impulse buy drill powered lathe (sic).

So I guess you could say this is my second piece, if you want to split hairs, but this stretcher for the chair was work, not fun, and I knew nothing about any of it.

Cheers!

03-02-2006, 1:34 PM
Great job stu and welcome to the spinney world.

Now lets see that bowl.

:D

Need a chuck and a face plate to do bowls..... :(

Mark Cothren
03-02-2006, 1:44 PM
Lookin' good, Stu! So get that chuck ordered up!

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2006, 1:45 PM
Congrats Stu. I am happy for you. Join the spinny world. You are going to love it.

Don Baer
03-02-2006, 1:47 PM
Need a chuck and a face plate to do bowls..... :(

Well you've got a lathe and a band saw. With your talent I am sure you can make those....;)

Tim Beauregard
03-02-2006, 2:01 PM
:mad:
That is the type of work I ASPIRE to do some day.
And you're turning it out right from the beginning.

Life sux.:)

Looks great to me !!
Regards,
Tim B.

Andy Hoyt
03-02-2006, 2:12 PM
Well, I'll be bonked. He did it!

Well done, Stu.

Rich Stewart
03-02-2006, 2:36 PM
WHOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!! You finally got it up and running. Congrats. I have a feeling you are going to be turning out some fabulous pieces soon. Look around and you can find out how to do bowls with just a faceplate. Lathes were around LONG before chucks were invented.

doug webb
03-02-2006, 3:24 PM
Batting 1000, Stu. Should have know resistance is futile. Just enjoy the spin.

Gary Max
03-02-2006, 3:33 PM
Looks like a home run to me------- Great job Stu

Bart Leetch
03-02-2006, 3:50 PM
Stu

You may be able to still order from Sears the face plates. Lathe chucks are nice & you'll have one of those too but a face plate comes in handy from time to time.

Jim Becker
03-02-2006, 4:21 PM
Round and round he goes.... ;) Lookin' great, Stu!

And Andy, be careful about wishing to be bonked...there are a whole bunch of new "bonker" turners around these days, often due to your influences... :D

Andy Hoyt
03-02-2006, 4:48 PM
.... And Andy, be careful about wishing to be bonked...there are a whole bunch of new "bonker" turners around these days, often due to your influences... :D

Anyone that wants to bonk me is more than welcome to come up, down, over, across, or (in Stu's case) through and have at it.

I'll supply the target AND the brewskis.

Karl Laustrup
03-02-2006, 4:55 PM
Well done Stu. 1st or 2nd time it's good.

I don't know about that being a bat though. It looks more like a "carp bonker" to me. ;) :D

David Fried
03-02-2006, 6:46 PM
Nice Stu! I didn't even know they had Salmon in Japan!
Wait, I think I hear a large pile of bowl/pen blanks calling you.

Dave Fried

Jim Dunn
03-02-2006, 6:52 PM
Real nice Stu!!

John Hart
03-02-2006, 6:57 PM
I am bonkers over your first...er...second turning Stu!!! Very Cool!!!!:)

03-02-2006, 7:06 PM
Anyone that wants to bonk me is more than welcome to come up, down, over, across, or (in Stu's case) through and have at it.

I'll supply the target AND the brewskis.

I got the brewskis covered, I would be looking at that icecream you are always going on and on about :D

Andy Hoyt
03-02-2006, 7:39 PM
Yeah, but Stu - One should neither drink brewskis and drive; nor eat ice cream and bonk!

George Conklin
03-02-2006, 7:49 PM
That's real nice sushi bonker, Stu. Doesn't it feel good to finally make some shavings?

George

03-02-2006, 7:59 PM
Yeah, but Stu - One should neither drink brewskis and drive; nor eat ice cream and bonk!

OK, we'll drink the beer while you drive to the Icecream store and then we'll bonk you on your provided target, and then we call all eat Icecream :D

Got to keep things in order here.... ;) :D

03-02-2006, 8:01 PM
That's real nice sushi bonker, Stu. Doesn't it feel good to finally make some shavings?

George

Yes sir it certainly does, but now I see how a nice thick heavy steel base for this sucker will really improve things, as well as a set up sharpening station, etc. etc..... :D

Got to sell some unused bike stuff so I can buy some more spinny stuff.... :eek:

Cheers!

03-02-2006, 8:04 PM
Stu

You may be able to still order from Sears the face plates. Lathe chucks are nice & you'll have one of those too but a face plate comes in handy from time to time.
Hi Bart!

Yes the face plates are still available from sears, as well as Ridgid, and here from the HomeTool guys I got the motor and 5 step pulley from.

I did see some on E-bay....

Oh yeah, I guess I need a drill chuck as well for turning pens?

Link belts.....

Starts to add up don't it :D

Cheers!

Don Orr
03-02-2006, 8:20 PM
Awesome Stu-Congrats on getting the lathe up and running! Thought I heard some strange sound today-now I know what it was. The Vortex got another one! Man, you have had has us all on the edge of our seats wondering when this would finally come together. Now there is no end in sight-the vortex is infinite! Can't wait to see what becomes of all that wood you showed us. :D

Batter Up !

Don

Barry Stratton
03-02-2006, 8:26 PM
Way to go Stu!!! I guess tomorrow we'll see, what, 10 or 15 bowls and 25 or so pens that you turned tonight......

Nice job on the bonker - should be just fine for those cherry salmon (Oncorhynchus masu) you've got in the water over there.

Corey Hallagan
03-02-2006, 9:18 PM
Nice Stu! It turned out great!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey Glenn...........I thought we had the patent on bonkers! Did you ever find that lawyer?:rolleyes: ......................Nice work Stu! Your on your way! Enjoy........you've shown a lot more patience than I would!

Mike Ramsey
03-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Glad to see everything finally ended up in the same place, Great
looking start Stu!