PDA

View Full Version : Tormek DVD - worth it?

Larry Fox
03-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Afer MUCH grousing and grumbling over the price with a liberal sprinkiling of somewhat exagerated justification to the wife, I just bit the bullet and ordered a Tormek. I have never used one of these guys in the past and considered purchasing the DVD but thought I would ask here if it was worth it before I did so. They provide a VHS tape which is effectively useless to me as I don't have a VCR anymore - guess I will need to find someone who still has one of those things. :(

Anyway, any feedback on the DVD will be much appreciated.

L

Rob Nolan
03-02-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm considering getting the Tormek also and I'm interested in what others have to say about the DVD.

Rob Nolan
03-02-2006, 1:00 PM
Larry, where did you get it from?

D.McDonnel "Mac"
03-02-2006, 1:20 PM
If you ordered from Sharp Tools USA then their Kits come with the DVD. It is a good thing to have, seeing how some of the things are done, shortens the learning curve.

Allen Bookout
03-02-2006, 1:28 PM
Is the DVD worth it? Yes-at least to me it was well worth it. If I can see something actually being done it is much easier for me to duplicate it. Allen

Larry Fox
03-02-2006, 2:15 PM
Rob (and Mac), I bought from Sharp Tools USA. The site says that it comes with a VHS instructional video and the DVD is an extra charge. Mac, based on your experience I will wait and see what actually comes with it before purchasing anything additional.

Perhaps I will even call to see if they can do some type of substitution.

Thanks for the replies . . . .

Larry

Larry Fox
03-02-2006, 2:18 PM
Update on this - I just called and it ships with the VHS tape. The person I spoke with said that they are talking about switching to DVD at some point but it might be a while.

Chris McKimson
03-02-2006, 2:47 PM
Larry, it's been 4 years since I bought mine, but it came with a video from Tormek that wasn't much more than a quick demo of each jig. Sharp Tools has created a DVD that explains in better detail usage and maintenence of the machine. I would suggest the latter, I learned quite a bit from it.

Chris

Rob Nolan
03-02-2006, 2:55 PM
I just ordered the Tormek starter kit and also the dust cover and DVD from sharp tools usa ... what the heck ... why not. When you spend that much :eek: what's a little more! :D

D.McDonnel "Mac"
03-02-2006, 3:03 PM
I think a lot of the DVD content, which is a Sharptools USA tormek primer of sorts, is also available from their web site by downloading. Check it out. Maybe you can make your own file folder with the DVD content on your computer.

Mac

Larry Fox
03-02-2006, 3:17 PM
Nice going Rob. Sharp Tools Seems like a nice organization to deal with. I ordered mine this morning and got an email about 10-mintues later notifying me that it had shipped and provided a UPS tracking number.

I also called them and got a real person on the second ring. Yep you read correctly - a REAL person AND, as an added bonus, the person actually knew what they were talking about. Try that experiment with your local phone company or cable provider.

L

Rob Nolan
03-02-2006, 3:29 PM
Thanks Larry, I heard sharp tools was a very knowlegable company on the tormek ... i'm sure they go the extra mile for customer service also ... i hope :D

Bob Wingard
03-02-2006, 4:05 PM
The TORMEK is a bit pricey, but does a great job .. .. ..
The video is good and I feel it was pretty helpful .. .. ..
I WISH I could give praise to Jeff Farris & Sharp Tools, but I've had a somewhat negative experience with him that has left a bad taste in my mouth .. .. .. possibly just a bad day on his part and/or an isolated incident so I won't go into great detail, but suffice it to say, I will not be ordering anything from him again.