PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Gouge

Pete Jordan
03-02-2006, 9:23 AM
I need a bowl gouge for my new lathe (Has been shipped and should arrive Monday or Tuesday). Please tell me which one and where to purchase.

Thanks,

Pete

Jim Becker
03-02-2006, 9:37 AM
We need more information, Pete. What size lathe did you purchase? What size bowls do you intend to be turning initially? Talk to us!

That said, a 3/8" bowl gouge is a good starting point as it will work fine for small to medium sized projects. I personally prefer a larger gouge, however, and use a 1/2" (also called a 5/8") Ellsworth gouge for most of my turning, including small bowls.

I buy a lot of my turning tools from Packard Woodworks. Nice folks. Great service.

Pete Jordan
03-02-2006, 9:54 AM
We need more information, Pete. What size lathe did you purchase? What size bowls do you intend to be turning initially? Talk to us!

That said, a 3/8" bowl gouge is a good starting point as it will work fine for small to medium sized projects. I personally prefer a larger gouge, however, and use a 1/2" (also called a 5/8") Ellsworth gouge for most of my turning, including small bowls.

I buy a lot of my turning tools from Packard Woodworks. Nice folks. Great service.

I ordered the PM 3520B and I want to make as big a bowls as I can when I learn how.

Thanx
Pete

Mark Cothren
03-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Just get one of each size and you'll be set....:) IMO you'll want a bigger gouge for roughing - 5/8" or 3/4"... a 1/2" is a good all-around size... I use that size most of the time for finish turning... I also have a 3/8", but I don't use it very much. But that's just me...

Hmm... another PM... seems like the world is turnin' yellar... :D :D :D

Glenn Clabo
03-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Mustard mania is running wild here.

Cecil Arnold
03-02-2006, 10:47 AM
What Mark said.

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I am new to turning also. You will probably get a number of answers on this. Here is what I got on the advice of several here on SMC. I have a 3/8" and 1/2" bowl gouge and a 3/4" roughing gouge. Also a 3/8" and 1/2" spindle gouge. As far as spindle work and bowls go I don't think you need anymore except maybe some nice to have tools. Then you can start down the road with scrapers, skews, parting tools, etc. Just my $1.298.

Pete Jordan
03-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Hi,
I ordered Crown 1/2" Pro-PM Ellsworth Gouge
Code: 242EPMW
Price: $75.00 from Woodchips.

Thanx for the info.

Pete

Jim Becker
03-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Pete, don't forget you'll want David's sharpening jig to maintain the grind on the gouge. It's about $25 and comes with instructions for a simple support arm under the grinding wheel if you don't want to adapt the Wolverine system or similar for this task.

Good choice on the gouge...I use three of them for about 85% of my work. If you haven't done this work before, consider David Ellsworth's or Bill Grumbine's instructional DVDs... ;)

Pete Jordan
03-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Pete, don't forget you'll want David's sharpening jig to maintain the grind on the gouge. It's about $25 and comes with instructions for a simple support arm under the grinding wheel if you don't want to adapt the Wolverine system or similar for this task.

Good choice on the gouge...I use three of them for about 85% of my work.

Will that work with my Wolvering jig or do I need something else?

Pete

Mark Cothren
03-02-2006, 12:53 PM
I use a Wolverine w/ the VariGrind attachment for sharpening my gouges.

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2006, 1:48 PM
I will echo Marks comment. I use the Vari-Grind to grind mine to the Ellsworth, Irish, Celtic or whatever you want to call the grind.

Kurt Rosenzweig
03-02-2006, 2:49 PM
Hi,

Thanx for the info.

Pete

Good choise Pete! I also use the Crowns and get them from Woodchips! Great tool and a good price! Congrats!

Charles E. Martin V
03-02-2006, 3:54 PM
LOL, Kurt yours should be there Saturday or Monday.

Jim Becker
03-02-2006, 4:19 PM
I use the Vari-Grind to grind mine to the Ellsworth, Irish, Celtic or whatever you want to call the grind.

I have never been able to duplicate David's grind with my VariGrind, so I use his $25 fixed jig for my three gouges. But you can get a very nice side-grind with the VariGrind...I use it for all my other gouges that I want that way, either as a side-grind for bowl gouges or a fingernail grind for the few spindle gouges I own.

Frank Stevens
03-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi,

Thanx for the info.

Pete

Did a google search and all I could find was a carving site in Canada.

Got a link? That sounds like the best price I've heard. :D

Thanks,

Frank Stevens

Pete Jordan
03-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Did a google search and all I could find was a carving site in Canada.

Got a link? That sounds like the best price I've heard. :D

Thanks,

Frank Stevens

Frank,

Here is the link http://www.woodchipshome.com/

good luck!

Pete