PDA

View Full Version : Not so Great day in shop

Jim Young
08-03-2003, 9:54 PM
This mornng while inventing a trim piece for the bathroom, I noticed that my 3/4" round over bit has a piece of carbide missing. Wonder where that piece went, I know it was there at one time. I will try Jesada to see if they can replace it or if I should just buy another one. That was one expensive bit.

This evening while making a small box for my 7 year old I busted a carbide tooth off my WWII blade. As I finished the cut on the table saw I reached across the saw to clear the cut off away from the blade. Not paying 100% attention to the task at hand I dragged the cut off into the running saw blade to have the piece of wood launch across the shop. It really scared me once I realized that my kid could have been in the shop, she wasn't. About 15 seconds later she comes walking into the shop and asks why I'm just standing there. I looked for the cut off and finally found it to notice that a tooth is in it. Guess that blade is on it's was to Forester(sp?). Lesson, always check the kick back piece for teeth and then check the blade.

At the end of the day I'm pretty happy, no carbide in my gut, no head injuries from flying wood and no finger injuries. Once again I am on high safety alert.

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-03-2003, 10:05 PM
................there'd be days like this! :rolleyes: The good news is that no injuries resulted from the mishaps. It happens to everyone sooner or later Jim. I think whoever is looking after us has a way to fire a couple of warning shots before disaster strikes. Nothing will get your undivided attention like what happened today. We all get complacent at times, but we all really need to stay focused and alert......which is hard sometimes when you are making a cut that you have done thousands of times before without incident. Whenever it doesn't require a trip to the ER, you are fortunate. Work Safely Jim............we like having you around! :D

Bob Lasley
08-03-2003, 11:36 PM
Jim,

I did a similar thing with a cut off piece once, only it didn't miss. I had one whopper of a bruise on my chest. Now, I always shut the saw off, wait for the blade to quit spinning and then remove the cutoff. It takes a little more time and I may wear out the start switch on the saw prematurely, but at least I won't have projectiles coming at me.

Glad it missed you.

Bob