PDA

View Full Version : Changes on my Personal Website

Bill Grumbine
03-02-2006, 9:13 AM
Greetings all

Okay, now I may have your attention. The bad news is, it is going away, but the good news is, it is going somewhere else. I have been with my current ISP since 1997, eons in internet time where people change ISPs like they change their clothes. (editorial note: we do not need to press this analogy any further!) We have been very happy with their service, however there is one problem. Because of our location and the recalcitrance of the phone company, the chances of getting DSL to our area are about the same as Paris Hilton developing a sense of modesty and good taste. As my business continues to expand on the internet, I find that more and more I could really use high speed access. So, we are moving to the cable company, which does offer high speed access in our area.

The good news is, all the woodworking content that has been available on my personal site will still be available on my commercial site. The rest of it will be available once I get my new personal space (I have to keep that picture you know!) up and running. Once that happens I will post a link for anyone interested, as well as put it on the commercial site.

Over the years I have gotten many thousands of visitors, and probably thousands of emails regarding this site. Most of them have been good. I can literally count the bad ones on one hand and still have a few fingers left. I appreciate the many kind things that many of you have said to and about me regarding my site, and I am posting this here so that those of you who are interested will have the chance to make the switch without wondering if I died or something.

I don't know how soon the switch will come, but it is in the works. It won't be in the next few days. In the next few months is more likely. My webmistress SWMBO has lots of other stuff to do right now, and I have a movie to make! Plus, I have personal appearances from WI to VA to do over the next couple of months, so I am gonna be a ramblin' man. And I have rambled enough here.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Bill

Jim Becker
03-02-2006, 9:52 AM
Sounds like a plan, Bill. High speed access is becoming more and more important just due to the nature of content on the Internet...it's no longer largely text-based. The web space you get with the cable modem service is adequate for personal endeavors as long as you can live with the storage limitations that are often there. (But you can always link to pictures stored physically on your commercial site) And if you feel that to be constraining over time, you can always use a low cost hosting service, such as Myhosting.com or 1+1; both of which give you a ton of space for about five bucks a month.

Ramble away!

Byron Trantham
03-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Good luck Bill. You're gonna love the high speed connection!:D

Cecil Arnold
03-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks for posting Bill. As often as we refer people to your site it is great that you are kind enough to let us know where to send new turners for some great information.

Keith Starosta
03-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Bill, where in Virginia are you going to be, and when? Is it a private session, or are you going to be at a public event?

Just curious! :D

- Keith

Mark Patoka
03-02-2006, 2:09 PM
Bill, where in Virginia are you going to be, and when? Is it a private session, or are you going to be at a public event?

- Keith

My initial reaction also... Is a short road trip in order?

Ken Salisbury
03-02-2006, 2:29 PM
Greetings all

and I have a movie to make!

Bill

You will love the high speed and wonder how you got along without it in the past.

I assume the movie will have to be "wide screen" :D :) ;)

Jim Dunn
03-02-2006, 7:29 PM
Ken, probably wider than usual:)

Bill Grumbine
03-06-2006, 6:38 PM

- Keith

Hi Keith and Mark

I just got back after being out of town and then SMC being down! :eek: I will be demonstrating for a day for the Smith Mountian Lake Woodturners in Moneta, which is just about 30 miles south of Roanoke on Saturday May 13. If you guys think you can make it, send me a PM and I will give you the contact info.

Bill

Keith Starosta
03-07-2006, 7:57 AM
Thanks for the info, Bill. I'm probably not going to be able to make that trip, but I wish you safe travels through the Commonwealth!!

- keith