PDA

View Full Version : Mashed my finger last night

John Hart
03-02-2006, 7:41 AM
Working on hollowing out a NE Buckeye vase at about 1000 RPM last night. I was withdrawing my scraper and WHAM!!!!:eek: The tip of the scraper caught the natural edge and slammed down on my finger on the tool rest. I didn't say a word.....no profanity....no sound....
It swelled immediately and turned some wonderful colors.

This morning, I can barely move it, but some feeling is coming back...mostly pain.:(

But we move on....Dick Strauss is coming for a visit today and we're going to do some chainsawing...and I'm not going to let a little thing like this stop me. BUT MAN!!!!! YOWWW!

Be careful out there! There's some mightly powerful physics going on in the vortex and they strike without warning (and make it very difficult to type too!)

Gary Max
03-02-2006, 7:45 AM
What no pic----I know with that busted finger you can't.
You realize if Dick reads this post before he comes over he is going to figure out who gets to carry the wood.
Have a better great day

Michael Stafford
03-02-2006, 7:47 AM
John, I agree with Gary. This is no time to play the hero. If I were you I would bandage that finger until it looked like it was 3 or 4 times as large as normal. Shoot I might even bandage two or three fingers next to it. Toting wood is no fun.....:p ;) :D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2006, 7:50 AM
Sorry about the finger John! Dick stay home!

Daddy I want a horsey......what's a palomino Daddy?

Jim Dunn
03-02-2006, 8:06 AM
Are you sure it was your finger? Could it have been your toe as well? Better get out the crutches and send Dick on his way without you. Tell him it's OK to take your chainsaw to saw up your blanks:)

Mark Singer
03-02-2006, 8:15 AM
John,
Are you trying to get sympathy from the judges with the finger? Whenever I used the finger ...it made more people angry than it did friends:confused:

Take a picture of the finger and enter it in the competion....maybe it will win for "Innovation":rolleyes:

Raymond Overman
03-02-2006, 8:21 AM
Quit whining. You've got nine more. Buck up and be a man. What's a little mashed finger? Please! When I was a lad we used to cut one of our fingers off with a rusty hacksaw just to prove how tough we were, and then we'd pour salt on it just to show how mean we were, and then we'd poke it with a stick. We were tough and mean and liked to poke things with sticks when I was a lad. :mad:

But seriously John, hope you're ok and be careful.

Andy Hoyt
03-02-2006, 8:31 AM
Dick - Run. Run fast. According to Valerie, John will be looking for quality time in your lap.

Mark Cothren
03-02-2006, 8:34 AM
Ouch John! I did close to the same trick one night - but pinched the side of my hand instead of mashing a finger. Pinched off a nice lil' hunk o' Mark in the process. Hope it heals up soon. First step in healing is to avoid hauling wood...:)

Raymond... you're due watchin'... :eek:

John Hart
03-02-2006, 8:41 AM
Momma Strauss!!! I got a boo boo! Can I sit in your lap???:D

Keith Burns
03-02-2006, 8:42 AM
John, play it for all it's worth:D :) :eek:

Andy Hoyt
03-02-2006, 9:20 AM
John, play it for all it's worth:D :) :eek:
And judging by the photo it aint worth much! Such a wimp!

Bob Noles
03-02-2006, 9:27 AM
Oh man John..... I hurt just looking at that picture and hearing the story. Hope that thing heals up soon.

No fun at all :(

Jim Becker
03-02-2006, 9:38 AM
Ouch! That said..."stuff happens". But do be sure that you don't have any damage beyond black and blue. A quick visit with the doc is a good idea if you're getting a lot of pain and swelling.

George Troy Hurlburt
03-02-2006, 9:40 AM
Maybe we should call you John Hurt Getting the ouchies just makes you more careful the next time. Be glad you didn't break it with blood. GT

Rich Stewart
03-02-2006, 10:05 AM
I keep tryin' to tell everybody. Blood is a lousy finish for wood. Take my word for it. I tried it. Hope you don't get one of them black fingernails that make the girls go, "Ewwww." when they see it.

Hope ya feel better soon. Be careful where ya stick them fingers.

Lou Morrissette
03-02-2006, 10:18 AM
OUCH!! That's not gonna get me in the world of round.:eek:

Lou

David Fried
03-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Glad that's not the finger you keep all your talent in !
Looks uncomfortable - don't do that!
Glad it wasn't worse.

Dave Fried

Cecil Arnold
03-02-2006, 10:42 AM
John, sorry about the finger, know it hurts and a little sympathy goes a long way. Now cowboy up and go cut some wood.

Ernie Nyvall
03-02-2006, 10:48 AM

So... which one is it?:p

Ernie

John Miliunas
03-02-2006, 11:24 AM
Dick - Run. Run fast. According to Valerie, John will be looking for quality time in your lap.

ROFLM.... :D Bet Val is happy she lives far away from you right about now!!! :D Hey seriously, John, keep an eye on it....We certainly wouldn't want you to end up with 9.67 fingers!!! :) :cool:

Bill Stevener
03-02-2006, 11:26 AM
About all I can say John, I hope it feels better soon.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Ouch John!!!!:mad: Bummer hope it gets to feeling better.

Raymond Overman
03-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Raymond... you're due watchin'... :eek:

Mark,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that but you just remember, when I was a lad I was tough, and mean, and I liked to poke things with a stick. Ain't much changed since then.

John,

After that picture, I think you deserve a little rest and recuperation. I find it's always comforting and helps take my mind off it to poke something with a stick when I'm in pain but maybe that's just me. Good whiskey helps too.

Ed Lang
03-02-2006, 12:37 PM
If you only had the latheStop!:eek:

Heal quickly, turn slowly.

Keith Burns
03-02-2006, 12:38 PM
I find it's always comforting and helps take my mind off it to poke something with a stick when I'm in pain but maybe that's just me. Good whiskey helps too.

Careful there Raymond, knowing John he will drink some whiskey and then poke himself in the eye with that stick:rolleyes:

William Bachtel
03-02-2006, 2:51 PM
I know a guy who smashed his off in a metal shop, put his finger under a metal lathe when they were satinit down.

Jim Ketron
03-02-2006, 5:20 PM
OUCH!
man that had to hurt!

Corey Hallagan
03-02-2006, 9:25 PM
Yikes! That smarted, I'm a whimp... I would've been done for a couple days or until the wife wouldn't listen to me wine any longer!

Corey

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2006, 10:02 PM

I hereby announce that Mr. John Hart is the WINNER of the Purple Finger Award!!!!

Prize? 10 more hours of the famous scraper at the lathe with another hollow form. :rolleyes:

Heal quickly my friend.....May your pain leave quickly and the healing process be speedy.

Dale Thompson
03-02-2006, 10:16 PM
John,
You were obviously NOT wearing your UVEX Bionic Shield. I have not had a SINGLE incident since I started wearing MINE!! :)

Sorry about your accident! I hope that you heal quickly! :) Thanks again!

Dale T.

Mike Ramsey
03-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Dang! I miss a couple days around here and come back to find
folks bleeding all over the place and fingers boo-booed...John,
old rememedy is to soak it in ..some cider, Or get your LOML to
kiss it and get back to work!

Dave Fifield
03-03-2006, 5:57 AM
If you only had the latheStop!:eek:

:D Thanks for the great laugh Ed!! :D

Hope ya heal quickly John! Take some time off and rest it....

Dave F.

Ernie Nyvall
03-03-2006, 7:16 AM
John, how's your finger today. I know that had to hurt on the tip like that, and if the pain moves around, it'd be worth a trip to the Doc.

Ernie

John Hart
03-03-2006, 7:21 AM
Thanks Ernie...Nah...It's ok. Now that the swelling is going down, I can see that it'll be fine. I can even type now!! I'll probably even get to turn something tonight.;)

Got another Creeker visit today. Going to PA to meet with Ken Hertzog. Should be a fun trip!!:)

John Miliunas
03-03-2006, 8:24 AM
Thanks Ernie...Nah...It's ok. Now that the swelling is going down, I can see that it'll be fine. I can even type now!! I'll probably even get to turn something tonight.;)

Got another Creeker visit today. Going to PA to meet with Ken Hertzog. Should be a fun trip!!:)

John, really glad to hear it's on the mend and not more serious! Be careful out there!!! :D :cool:

Chris DiCiaccio
03-03-2006, 8:29 AM
Glad you're ok! Hope you can tell us anything we can learn as how to not have that happen. Is there anything you will do different? Anyway, have a great day, recover soon, and start up that lathe.

John Hart
03-03-2006, 8:38 AM
Glad you're ok! Hope you can tell us anything we can learn as how to not have that happen. Is there anything you will do different? Anyway, have a great day, recover soon, and start up that lathe.

first off...Thanks everyone! This incident wasn't too bad, but I can say that if some things were positioned just a little different, it would have taken my finger off. So....I'm looking at this from a Worst-Case educational point of view.;)

Chris...yes...There is something. NEVER NEVER lose your focus or become too relaxed when working with spinning wood. Things just happen too fast....and when the work is smooth and you are really getting into it, there is a tendency to lower your guard. I was also thinking about building an NE Shroud for the lathe that will allow all the access I need but prevent "little slips" from plunging my hands into the sawblade of a natural edge. 'Course...a shroud wouldn't have prevented this. I just need to maintain my focus.:o