PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite vase--pics

Curtis O. Seebeck
03-02-2006, 1:56 AM
Here is a mesquite vase I made last weekend. It measures 7 1/2" tall by 4 1/2" wide. Wall thickness of 3/8 or so and hollowed all the way. Finish is Formby's Tung Oil Finish, High Gloss the buffed on my Beall after curing. The voids were filled withe turquoise embossing powder and CA like I used on the mesquite pen I posted a couple days ago.

It got a little flat 2/3 of the way down but other than that, I am very pleased with it. It is my best work so far. My pictures aren't too good, but I am working on that too.

As always, honest critiques are always appreciated to help me improve. Thanks for looking!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/MesquiteMan/mesq3-4.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/MesquiteMan/mesq3-3.jpg

Karl Laustrup
03-02-2006, 6:10 AM
Curtis, beautiful vase. Like the shape, wood, well just everything about it.

Karl

Mark Cothren
03-02-2006, 6:48 AM
Yessir, that's nice! The Mesquite looks good and that looks like some very nice work on your part!

Thanks for the pictures!

John Hart
03-02-2006, 7:18 AM
Gorgeous!! Yep, I see that flat spot....but I bet the next one won't have it. Wonderful piece Curtis!:)

Glenn Hodges
03-02-2006, 7:30 AM
Good looking wood, nice treatment of the mouth, and the flat spot is hardly noticeable. Thanks for posting such a beauty.

Dick Parr
03-02-2006, 7:45 AM
That's a really nice looking vase, great job.

Jim Dunn
03-02-2006, 8:20 AM
Each one of your pieces looks better than the last Curtis. Really nice!

Rich Stewart
03-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Oh yeah!!! That's what I'm talkin' about. Great vase! Beautiful wood, form and finish. I don't know how safe this is or if it is an accepted technique but I have noticed if I look at the TOP of the spinning item I will see things like that flat part better than if I only look where my tool is.

Anybody have an opinion on this method?

John Hart
03-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Oh yeah!!! That's what I'm talkin' about. Great vase! Beautiful wood, form and finish. I don't know how safe this is or if it is an accepted technique but I have noticed if I look at the TOP of the spinning item I will see things like that flat part better than if I only look where my tool is.

Yup...I have a piece of plywood handy that I hold behind the piece to give good contrast. It helps some.

Andy Hoyt
03-02-2006, 10:34 AM

Yup, I do that too. But it can cause the pucker factor to double. It's like typing without looking at the keyboard

Cecil Arnold
03-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Really nice piece Curtis, your skills are growing with every new piece.

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Curtis that is a nice looking bowl. I would like to turn some mesquite some day. Great work.

Bill Stevener
03-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Hi Curtis,

Very obvious your work is showing great improvements with each turning you post.
As others have noted, we don't see the flat area in a form until it's to late. Kinda like driving a car, if one is always looking at the road just in front of the hood, they never see the stoped car in front of them. One must learn to drive looking well down the road. If one is constantly looking at the tool, it has already done the damage before you can remove it. If you learn to look at the work and not always the tool, then you can see what it is doing.

As far as filling the voids, although it could just be the photo, maybe a little more turquoise powder in the same, if that's your choice of filler. Personally, the small amount of area in your turning, that you chose to fill, may reflect a more natural image with the use of a filler like coffee grounds.
Over all you have presented a very nice turning, and my comments are only the way I see it.
So, if you wish, you can tell me to take a flip.:D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Jim Ketron
03-02-2006, 5:33 PM
Nice Job! Looks great!

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-02-2006, 7:09 PM
Wonderful lookin' piece, Curtis.

Bruce

Corey Hallagan
03-02-2006, 9:21 PM
That's defintely a keeper. That mesquite looks great!

corey

Mike Ramsey
03-02-2006, 10:29 PM
It looks like a vase to me Curtis, unlike the football shapes I
turn out! Good job.

Ernie Nyvall
03-03-2006, 12:57 PM
That's a nice job Curtis. You got some of that honey colored mesquite. Pretty stuff.

Ernie