View Full Version : Big Fish

Boyd Gathwright
03-02-2006, 1:17 AM
BIG FISH

.... How's this for a big fish :eek: ?

.:D.

Vaughn McMillan
03-02-2006, 3:18 AM
8' 2" and 244.5 pounds? Yeppers, I'd say that qualifies as a big fish. And they brought it in with bows and arrows, no less. I'll be the folks back at the office on Monday were a bit skeptical when they heard the big fish story...until they saw the pics. :)

What does a person do with gar? Is it edible, or is it more of a trash fish? (That bad boy would fertilize a LOT of garden.)

- Vaughn

- Vaughn

Bill Lewis
03-02-2006, 5:58 AM
So much for "catch and release"

Michael Stafford
03-02-2006, 7:13 AM
I have never seen a gar that big. I used to fish for them when I was a boy using a piece of frayed nylon rope. When gar breathe they come to the surface and gulp air. We would cast the frayed rope in front of them and they would instinctively strike at it and sometimes they would get their teeth entangled in the rope. Then you were in for quite a fight.

I used to go float tubing in Currituck Sound which is in the northeast corner of North Carolina and we used fly rods and popping bugs to fish for bass, crappie and bluegills. Once I was in the water and happened to look down and swimming near my legs was a gar about 5 feet long. I knew that I was in no real danger but nevertheless it was alarming to see that big ugly fish so close to your legs.:eek:

john whittaker
03-04-2006, 9:02 AM
8' 2" and 244.5 pounds? Yeppers, I'd say that qualifies as a big fish. And they brought it in with bows and arrows, no less. I'll be the folks back at the office on Monday were a bit skeptical when they heard the big fish story...until they saw the pics. :)

What does a person do with gar? Is it edible, or is it more of a trash fish? (That bad boy would fertilize a LOT of garden.)

- Vaughn

- Vaughn

Gar...Very bony, taste like Carp.
Carp...Very bony, taste like Gar.

(FYI - I normally only reply to messages when I have 1st hand knowledge.. YUK)

Jason Roehl
03-04-2006, 9:05 AM
I always thought carp was just slightly misspelled....

But, if you get enough butter and breading on it, it's not so bad.

John Miliunas
03-04-2006, 9:59 AM
I always thought carp was just slightly misspelled....

Jason, you owe me a bottle of Windex to clean off my monitor!!!! :D :D :D :cool:

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
03-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Clean off that dark streak running down the side of a carp and you have good eating. The Europeans brought carp to the Americas because to them it was a sporting fish and good eating. The orientals also think carp is good eating. I used to bow fish for carp in Clear lake of northern California and was not ashamed to put carp on the table.