PDA

View Full Version : TS extension supports:What do You use?? Update with pictures.

Jim O'Dell
03-01-2006, 9:25 PM
I'm in the process of building a new extension for my TS. As reported in my question about how to glue melamine to melamine, I have repositioned the rails on my TS to get 50 1/2" to the right of the blade where it was 12" left/36" right. Don't know why the math doesn't add up, maybe I didn't measure correctly, or there is a gain from the blade area, who knows? :rolleyes:
What do you use for support? I want to build something, and it needs to be adjustable height wise. I will not be mounting a router to it, and I won't be standing or sitting on it. Just the occasional sheet of 3/4 ply/MDF/etc. It doesn't need to fold away either.
So, for those of you who have built your own, what did you use? Pictures would be great! Jim.

Vaughn McMillan
03-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Jim, this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but you might get some adjustability ideas from this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32139

HTH -

- Vaughn

Jim O'Dell
03-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks Vaughn. Yes, I did see that thread when I searched for ideas. I'm adding on about 34 inches to the right of my cast iron extension, with double 3/4" MDF and some angle iron for support. Think I'd better go vertical instead of at an angle with the legs.
By the way, I especially admired your ingenuity with the eyebolts. That took some work to implement!!! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
03-05-2006, 2:42 PM
Ok, this is what I started yesterday afternoon after picking up 16 bags of leaves with TLOML-WMBO. :D I was going to use 3/4 PVC and started the leg mount to accomodate the tubing. But overnight I thought better of it, found a piece of straight 2X2 in the shed (I thought that was something!) and revamped the upper mount to work with it. I doubled up the 2X4 material where the legs mount. I guess its a type of mortis and tennon, with the legs being the tennon of course. They are glued and one screw goes into the top of the leg through the full 2X4.
A hole is drilled into the bottom of the leg, a T-nut is inserted, and the carriage bolt into that for height adjustment. Then I cut a 2X3 brace and screwed in to keep the legs from folding in on themselves. I finially decided to use contact cement for the two halves of the table top.
The first picture shows the completed setup with the top. The second is the legs. The third is the top with the hex tool in the hole to adjust the height. The fourth is the adjuster from the bottom side. I pulled the t-nuts and hex socket screws out of the old extension. Thanks for looking, and I hope this gives someone else some ideas they can incorporate on their's that they haven't thought of. Jim.