PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #30 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
03-01-2006, 7:53 PM
March 1st, 2006

Another day, and more progress. Greg showed up to continue the siding and now we have the east side done. He also worked on the soffit in the front, but ran out of something, so there is some soffit to be finished. Of course the front can't be done yet as the grade has to come up about almost 2 feet.

The insulation guys showed up while I was out running errands and finished up just about 3 PM. Just before they left the drywall truck pulled in. Now there is drywall stacked all over the place.

The inspector came by right after the drywall loaders left and inspected the insulation job. PASSED. So now we are clear until final inspection.

The electric company will be setting the gas meter bracket tomorrow morning, so the HVAC guys will be in to run all the gas lines. Dave, from Top-Hat heating, figures he can get all the piping done tomorrow and we should be able to get a gas meter installed Friday. That will allow the furnace to be fired up. Need that for the taping and mudding next week.

Oh yeah, the drywall guys will be there in the morning and start hanging the rock. They are going to start on the ceiling so the insulators can come back Friday and do the attic.

East wall siding. The deck is going here.

Some of the drywall and the insulation in and covered. Even the ceiling has plastic.

More insulation and drywall.

One thing I didn't know was drywall comes in 14' and 16' lengths. I knew it came in 12' but 14' was a new one.

Pictures are getting harder inside. I may have to go buy a wider angle lens. Mine is only 28mm. Maybe I should get a fish eye lens.

More tomorrow I'm sure. Thanks.

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
03-01-2006, 8:05 PM
Karl.....Your GC and subs are going great guns! Congrats! Keep the posts coming!

Cecil Arnold
03-01-2006, 8:20 PM
Karl, that GC really has things working. Coordinating crews like that is realy something.

Anthony Anderson
03-01-2006, 8:43 PM
Looking good Karl. Did you plan for a home theater system? If you want one, now would be a good time to run those wires. Let me know if you need some help on wires and I will be glad to offer help from my experience. Regards, Bill

Karl Laustrup
03-01-2006, 9:14 PM
Looking good Karl. Did you plan for a home theater system? If you want one, now would be a good time to run those wires. Let me know if you need some help on wires and I will be glad to offer help from my experience. Regards, Bill

Thanks for the offer, but we don't really have room, nor will the budget allow for it. I plan on being busy making stuff for the house. I thought I'd be doing that by now, but I've found I'm too involved in the construction. My mind wanders to various things concerning the construction and that scares me, so I've decided to limit my WW'ing for now. I've got 10 fingers and ten toes and I want to keep it that way.

Karl

Dennis Peacock
03-01-2006, 9:39 PM
Thanks for the offer, but we don't really have room, nor will the budget allow for it. I plan on being busy making stuff for the house. I thought I'd be doing that by now, but I've found I'm too involved in the construction. My mind wanders to various things concerning the construction and that scares me, so I've decided to limit my WW'ing for now. I've got 10 fingers and ten toes and I want to keep it that way.

Karl

Good idea Karl. Building a house is a big enough task without having to fret over how behind you are on building things for the house DURING construction of the house. Been there before. The house is the most important part right now. You building stuff for the house can come later.

Great progress.!!!

Jim Becker
03-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the update, Karl. 'Looking good. I'm glad to see you used some sound-batts, too. Adds some cost, but really makes for a nicer environment when you are not the only one in the house.

Vaughn McMillan
03-02-2006, 1:52 AM
It's looking more and more like a house, Karl. Congrats on passing the inspection.

...The electric company will be setting the gas meter bracket tomorrow morning,...
So...is the gas company gonna install the electric meter, just to be fair? :D

- Vaughn

Karl Laustrup
03-02-2006, 6:15 AM
It's looking more and more like a house, Karl. Congrats on passing the inspection.

So...is the gas company gonna install the electric meter, just to be fair? :D

- Vaughn

:D :D :D Having lived back here for 10+ years, I'd forgotten that unlike SoCal where you have different companies for gas and electric, ours is provided by the same company. Alliant Energy takes care of both back here. Fortunately, they don't let the electric guys do the gas stuff and vice versa. :D

Karl

Jim Becker
03-02-2006, 9:56 AM
Having lived back here for 10+ years, I'd forgotten that unlike SoCal where you have different companies for gas and electric, ours is provided by the same company.

Same here...