PDA

View Full Version : Scanner bites the dust

Bobby Hatfield
08-03-2003, 7:27 PM
I guess it broke, it is just now being moved to the new XP computer and the little window says link failure, have changed usb cable and reconnected fourteen times and still no scanner.
Anyone have a favorite, don't want another like this, need simple picture copy and maybe typed page copy, what is out there that an old codger could operate that wont break the $100 bank.

Philip Duffy
08-03-2003, 8:16 PM
Hey, I have one of those, an Acer. It has transmitted exactly one page. I will sell it to you for $50 plus shipping! Is that a gloat or what? Phil

Brad Schafer
08-03-2003, 8:29 PM
I guess it broke, it is just now being moved to the new XP computer and the little window says link failure, have changed usb cable and reconnected fourteen times and still no scanner.
Anyone have a favorite, don't want another like this, need simple picture copy and maybe typed page copy, what is out there that an old codger could operate that wont break the $100 bank.

could be as simple as a driver problem. if you know the mfgr's web page, go to their support page and see if there's an updated driver to download. if it worked under 95/98/NT/2k/whatever, it oughta still work under XP (at least most of the time).

today's Sunday paper has an ad for OfficeMax - $100 for a brand spankin' new HP scanner. i've seen 'em new for as low as $40.

i'd still try the driver thing first,

b

Keith Outten
08-03-2003, 9:57 PM
Bobby,

Your USB ports could be disabled in the bios, this is a simple fix for anyone familier with bios settings...don't give up on your scanner so fast it may be the fault of an improper bios setting.

Bobby Hatfield
08-03-2003, 10:46 PM

I will check out your suggestions before scrapping this scanner.

David Klug
08-04-2003, 12:27 AM
Bobby: I just picked up a Visoneer at Big Lots for $30. It's not the fancyest but it does what I want it to do.

Dave

Don Farr
08-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Hi Bobby, XP is awful about recognizing printers and scanners. When I change over my shop computers we had all kinds of problems. I still can't get it to run my Okidata that we print packing list on. Depending on the brand you may have to buy new drivers for XP.
I had to buy :mad: them for my HP camera and scanner.

Bobby Hatfield
08-04-2003, 5:18 PM
Hi Bobby, XP is awful about recognizing printers and scanners. When I change over my shop computers we had all kinds of problems. I still can't get it to run my Okidata that we print packing list on. Depending on the brand you may have to buy new drivers for XP.
I had to buy :mad: them for my HP camera and scanner.

It works, only if I go through control panel and double click on scanners and cameras and use the scanner wizard to copy pictures, but it still wont operate on the scanner software, it uses the microsoft software in XP I guess and it wont turn the bulbs on and off from the wizard or scanner software, have to unplug it when finished. Copied a couple pics together of my tax office I did the desks for. This backside never seen when you pay your taxes.