PDA

View Full Version : Do you tip delivery people?

Rob Blaustein
03-01-2006, 6:43 PM
I saw a comment in another thread that mentioned tipping a person who delivered a saw (or not tipping in this case) and it made me wonder--do people tip the freight drivers who deliver large pieces of equipment like saws, jointers, etc. I don't think I have in the past--maybe cause I thought spending over $100 on delivery was already a lot--but maybe I should be. Do they expect to be tipped? What do people do? I know there are some people here who've actually worked as drivers etc--I'm wondering what their experience has been.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-01-2006, 7:01 PM
Nope, never even considered it. BTW, it aggervates me to see those tip jars at Starbucks, Subway and other places where you stand in line to get your stuff.

Anthony Anderson
03-01-2006, 7:17 PM
Depends if the driver went out of their way to help me. For example if they were only supposed to deliver the thing, and they actually helped me move something into my basement (through a walkout door), then you bet I do. Just a courtesy. I was pouring some concrete one time and the driver helped out, I tipped him $20 or $30. I look at it like this, if you can afford it, and it doesn't put you in a bind, and this person helps you out, then offer. I have had some to decline the offer which is okay too. HTH, Bill

Doug Shepard
03-01-2006, 7:20 PM
I've never tipped yet, but I would if I thought the driver was going above/beyond what they were required to do. So far everything big I've gotten has come with liftgate service and the driver rolled the item out on a pallet jack. An example of a case where I would have tipped: When my MM16 came, it was on a double pallet so wouldn't fit under the garage door jamb. The driver had to leave it just outside the garage, so no tip. Had he made an offer to wait while I busted enough crating free to slide the upper pallet off (with his help) then pallet jack that into the garage, I think a tip would have been well deserved. I got lucky and caught 2 neighbors arriving home after I got the crating removed and the 3 of us got it waddled inside with about 20 mins to spare before it started raining. It was close.

Brian Hale
03-01-2006, 7:44 PM
Yes, i tip often. The driver that helped unload 1,000 bd ft of lumber got $20. The FedEx guy that helped carry a 21" monitor into the basement got $20. The 2 guys that installed cable internet got $30. It doesn't hurt me so i do it when i can.

Brian :)

Rick Thom
03-01-2006, 7:56 PM
Yes, when I figure they have gone 'beyond the call of duty'.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-01-2006, 8:26 PM
Man, I don't know who you guys have delivering to your house, all they did at mine was drop the lift gate and kick it off the truck.

Kent Parker
03-01-2006, 8:33 PM
When I got my table saw delivered it was a rainy day and the delivery trucks wipers stopped working. I hopped up on the hood, cleaned the windshield and then applied "Rain-X" to it. That stuff repeals water so well you just about don't need wipers.

Anyway, that was my "tip".

Cheers,

KP

lloyd morris
03-01-2006, 8:48 PM
Yes, I do tip when the driver helps out and I feel they are going above and beyond what might be reasonably expected. Like Anthony said

"if you can afford it and it does not put you in a bind and the person helps out, then offer"

On the other side of the issue, I also called the local Lowes Store Manager and Regional Manager when a driver ignored my signals to stop and backed the truck through the front of the garage a couple of years ago.

Lloyd

PS: Kent can you apply Rainx effectively when it is raining? I will have to try that as when it is raining is the only time I think to put it on.

Kent Parker
03-01-2006, 9:15 PM
Kent can you apply Rainx effectively when it is raining? I will have to try that as when it is raining is the only time I think to put it on.

Its best to apply it when a windshield is dry (and clean) as you can buff out any smears. Still works if its raining, you just have to apply more to keep up with the drops.

KP

Rob Blaustein
03-01-2006, 9:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I agree on two counts: tipping is certainly reasonable if a driver were to do something extra, and Rainex is awesome stuff. I now even pay the ridiculous few bucks extra at Mobil for the gallon of window washing fluid with Rainex already in there.

Tim Morton
03-01-2006, 9:56 PM
I have not tipped a delivery driver yet...but the thought has crossed my mind. Heres another side of the coin. In my business I have stuff delivered every day...and most of it requires some assistance from the driver to get it off the truck and into my shop...sometimes taking 30 minutes or longer. Do I tip then? And if not then why not?

I'll tell you though,I would much rather give the driver who helps me shlep a half a ton of paper or board off the truck than throw 3 or 4 bucks to those weasels at the hotels who expect money every time you take a breath...OMG just got back from a stay in a fairly nice hotel in orlando...one which required valet parking and a trip that required me to need my car alot...maybe 8 or more times a day.....and those yahoos do that ALL day long...I went broke just getting my car.

Jim Becker
03-01-2006, 10:03 PM
I have done it on occasion when the driver went above and beyond. Example would be the driver who delivered my G1276 sander a few years back. No way to get a semi even near my driveway. He found a place across the road to be able to safety pull off after calling me to explain the situation (more below) and then graciously helped to safely get the heavy box down off the back of the truck and into my loader. That might not seem like a huge thing, but he was running very, very late that day due to traffic and an accident, yet still came all the way out with my one box in the back of a 48' trailer well after dark. (He was supposed to be off shift two hours earlier) He could have gotten away with not making the delivery that day, but wanted me to have my box before he called it a day. He got something for his courtesy.
------

On the RainX thing...do understand that this is a product that you need to stay committed to. I works really great....but...it does wear off unevenly and unless you reapply on a regular basis, it can actually be harder to see out of your windshield. I switched to some silicon wiper blades by PIAA a few years ago and would never use RainX again.

Per Swenson
03-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Hello all,

You bet. TIP. to insure prompt service.

I tip the garbageman, (I could lose a body if needed)

I tip any and all building material drivers.

In the same vein, the yard sends me a clown. Never again

will he deliver to one of our jobs. I want my Driver happy and patient.

I hand out cash to the fellas at the Borg. When I walk in, well it is like

flys on proverbial poop and how is your family?

I tip the nice people at MY dunkin donuts. Daily.

Everday my son brings home free donuts.

I do not have to wait in line at my local riteaid for ciggys.

You get the idea. Don't get me wrong, I am not handing out hundreds

like daddy warbucks or making a spectacle,

but a couple a bucks here and there makes the day go so smoothly.

I won't set foot in a Starbucks.

Per

Brad Kimbrell
03-01-2006, 11:37 PM
I tip the garbageman, (I could lose a body if needed)

You bet! My guys will take anything I put out, but I usually meet them at the curb with a twenty in my hand if I'm home.

If I start gettin' static from the LOML about slowing down on tools like one of our friends here, I may have to put her on the curb too! LOL...***He says on the inside, while saying "Yes Dear" on the outside***

Tip when you can if you can...good works always come back in spades, even if not from the same spot!

Tim Armstrong
03-01-2006, 11:41 PM
I do tip - yes. here's an example of it paying off... I had a Delta drum sander delivered off a semi that parked in front of the house (garage and shop access is off an alley in back). No way the semi was getting into the alley. The guy took it down off the truck and left it right there on the street on the pallet. I gave him $10 bucks in part only because it must have taken him forever to even get his rig onto my block - small city streets. He thanked me headed back toward the cab - paused, tossed down his clipboard and the two of us got it round back together. So, the tip up front helped me out. Sure it's a gamble but in this city, tipping is a way of life and helps a lot in getting things done. The UPS guy, the mailman, the garbage guys - I think it helps a lot.

Barry O'Mahony
03-02-2006, 4:11 AM
Tipping a delivery guy for doing their job? 'never crossed my mind. Epecially if it's a union driver with guaranteed raises based on seniority, no matter how good or bad they are at their job, and fully paid-for health care for themselves and their families. 'must be nice.

Dev Emch
03-02-2006, 4:21 AM
It depends. If I get some wisen-himmer who is clocking out on banker's hours and wants the merchandise offloaded like yesterday because this delievery is conflicting with his current social life........ consider it a good day if all that happens is NO TIP! More likely he is going to get my Work Ethics Lecture Number 324-A which is a classic he will not soon forget! Most likely will refuse a repeat engagement.... ummm, thats the idea!

On the other hand, if I show up at 15 min til 5:00 PM and the guy helps me get squared away by spending an extra 30 min or an hour, HECK yes he is going to get a tip. That type of behavior needs to be encouraged.

One time I arrived at quiting time to pick up a machine at the freight dock. The current manager told me in no uncertain words that he is off the clock and cannot help me. Mind you, its a FOUR HOUR round trip for me and I am facing the loss of 1/2 or more of a business day. One of the dock hands came forward and said that he would help. No Problem. That manager managed to agrevate me in spades to the point I was extremely upset. So I clearly tipped the guy who helped me and not just a couple of bucks. Needless to say, the manager may have learned his lesson as he has been very helpful with me but unfortunately, he is still working off that last episode!

Good and helpful deeds are far and few these days. A tip here and a tip there helps to expedite this good behavior and makes hectic life more bearable. And before anyone tells me to show up a couple of hours earlier by getting up in the morning, understand that I am at the grind stone before most of you have your coffee. I am often late because I have so much on my dinner plate and not enough hours in the day. Thus, good deeds certainly help the day go easier so these occasional tips wind up as an investment in my own sanity.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-02-2006, 5:02 AM
No, I'm in Japan, it is considered rude to tip.

What I do instead, is when someone comes through for us in some way, I give them a hot can of coffee, in the winter, or a cold can of tea in the summer etc.

It is always graciously accepted.

Cheers!

tod evans
03-02-2006, 6:10 AM
delivery folks at my business, no. at the house yes....02 tod

Chris Barton
03-02-2006, 8:04 AM
I have had the good fortune of taking delivery of several very large tools over the past year and for even a moderately helpful driver I do tip. But, I would have to say my delivery drivers have been very helpful, gone beyond the call of duty and made certain that my shipments came to my door without a scratch! It may not be for everyone but, like Per, it sure keeps me well taken care of.

Peter Gavin
03-02-2006, 9:39 AM
I always tip, unless the delivery guy does something to make me angry. I worked my way through college in tipped postitions and often it made the difference in whether I ate or not.

Peter

Bill Lewis
03-02-2006, 10:27 AM
I am totally with Dev on this, A tip for a non-tippable position has to be earned by going above and beyond. Thing is, most guys that do this usually refuse a tip.

I don't believe that (most) delivery guys are in a tippable position, but that's not to say that we haven't tipped them before, we have. But those guys came with an "anything you want, anything you need" attitude.

Like Stu said, it's considered rude to offer a tip in Japan (and Europe too). I consider it rude to expect a tip for doing your job. I do tip for positions that are such traditional tippable jobs. Waiters/waitress's will 99% of the time will get at least the minimum expected tip, more often it's much more. OTOH, I'm not afraid to go the minimum or less if the service is really bad, and it was something in their control (bad food does not equal a low tip).

John Lucas
03-02-2006, 10:36 AM
My local lumber yard has free delivery and I buy 3/4" birch play and 3/4" white melamine that way. When they get here, I open one of the broad doors and the driver loads panels directly on my panel cart. That saves me a heart attack, which I try to minimize. It doesnt take all that much extra care on the part of the driver but is rewardable as far as I am concerned. If I pass him $20, that is only 2 or 3 more per panel...still a good price for me.
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/jrl-399.jpg

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/euro-17.jpg

Saul Harris
03-02-2006, 10:40 AM
...those performing some services for me until I was remodeling the interior of the house. My contract garbage service is not supposed to haul off "construction debris". Being 'frugal' (a/k/a serious cheap), I did not want to rent a roll-off bin to park in the driveway because it is an ongoing project, not being done in one shot.

When I heard the trash truck, I went outside to help them load the truck. They appreciated that plus, later in the week when I had more debris, I handed the driver a 12-pack of Coke and the guys in the back a 12-pack of Budweiser.

They will take ANYTHING now... probably even a body (as mentioned above).

Now, I tip delivery drivers that go above and beyond while performing their usual tasks.

My two cents...

Frank Pellow
03-02-2006, 10:41 AM
I tip for deliveries the same as I tip for anything else. That is, if the person providing the service goes beyond what I consider to be a normal job, they get a tip. I never tip just because I am expected to.

In the last couple of years I have had (as near as I can figure) eleven delvieries related to my shop building and house "restoration". Three of those drivers recieved a well deserved tip. One of them recieved both a lecture and a complaint to their company. I have also had three sub-contractors and one of them recieved a (very large) tip.

Tom A Walker
03-02-2006, 11:57 AM
I tip for work well done. If they're friendly, respectful, and especially if they go out of their way to help. Otherwise, no.

BTW, Rain X makes a windshield washer fluid. Its a little more pricey than the cheap blue stuff but I use it. I never have to treat the windshield as long as I use that stuff. Just by squirting it onto the windshield when I'm shooting bug guts off it applies the Rain X. Works great and doesn't require me to remember to do anything!

Phil Winn
03-02-2006, 12:04 PM
For Regular UPS and USPS drivers....I will give them $20.00 or so twice
a year ONLY if they go above and beyond---offer to carry large packages
into my house/garage; or bringing me the packages when they know that
I will be home...

For Truck drivers....if they help me bring the shipment into the garage
then I will give them $20.00 or so.

Phil