PDA

View Full Version : craftsman pro

Aaron Kline
03-01-2006, 4:12 PM
What's your guys opinion on the craftsman professional series tools. They look to be made as good as the others out there and there's a sears locally. I'm more specifically looking at their 15" planer w/digi readout(#21702) and their router(#1617-12) Thanks.

Don Baer
03-01-2006, 4:26 PM
from the specs and all it looks to be made for them by Palmgren. The unit on there web site looks like the same unit.

http://www.palmgren.com/palmgren/p-wp-15planersmolder.html

If it is the same unit it's made in the US so at least you could get parts for it.

tod evans
03-01-2006, 4:27 PM
aaron, i`d think the only reason to spend more money on this import planer than brand x or y would be a longer warranty and possibly local service.. without actually seeing the unit the specs on the sears site look to be the same + or- a few bells-n whistles as the other offerings??

as for routers i swear by porter-cable, the tried-n-true ones not the "new and improved" offerings......02 tod

tod evans
03-01-2006, 4:29 PM
don, this is the unit i found with the number provided? .02 tod

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1666761387.1141247358@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccjeaddheelmfifcegecegjdghldfom.0&vertical=SEARS&sid=I0008300030000100085&pid=00921702000

Cecil Arnold
03-01-2006, 4:30 PM
I'm responding without even looking at the tools you mention, but only because I DON'T TRUST SEARS. There was a time when I felt that they provided reasonable tools for the hobbyist at good prices, and they have a past history of having one of the best parts supply systems around. Unfortunately, Sears seems to have lost its way and no longer has a focus on just exactly what business it is in. I had a Sears Hardware near the house. When it opened it forced an independent hardware store out of business. I understood that, with Sears ability to buy at the best price, they could undercut the independent. Then, several years later, the Sears Hardware decided they were going to get into the appliance business and most of the hardware (and tools) were almost gone. This, with a Conns, Best Buy, Walmart, Sams Club, Pruven Products (a builders supply that sells to the public) a Lowes, a full sized Sears in a Mall, and a HD, all within less than 10 miles. The Sears is now gone. Before they closed they stopped carrying Bosch, Mikita, DeWalt, etc. and went back to C'man, that is IMHO often of questionable quality. Will they continue to carry parts--who knows. So that is my reason for staying away from Sears tools.

Don Baer
03-01-2006, 4:38 PM
don, this is the unit i found with the number provided? .02 tod

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1666761387.1141247358@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccjeaddheelmfifcegecegjdghldfom.0&vertical=SEARS&sid=I0008300030000100085&pid=00921702000

Your right Tod Not the unit I was looking at. Sorry bout that.

It even says imported on the sears web site.. my bad.
guess it time to go to the yey doctor..;)

Todd Davidson
03-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Hi Aaron~

Can't comment on the planer but I do own the 1617-12 router combo. It's identical to the Bosch 1617EVS internally (Yes, identical.) and nearly externally. The one major difference is that the bases are milled for Craftsman base plates - which means that neither Bosch nor PC style guide bushings are compatible. You can purchse/use C'man guide bushings but there aren't as many diameters available and they're not nearly as good as the PC style (nor, in my opinion, are the Bosch guide bushings for that matter). I wanted to use PC style bushings and found my best option was to order a Pat Warner base plate that accommodated PC style bushings.

The Bosch adjustable edge-guide is compatible or you can use a C'man (the Bosch is much nicer).

The above table adjustment is very good.

I opted to purchase the Craftsman 1617 combo over the Bosch 1617EVS or another Porter-Cable combo because I have a decent Craftsman portable router table and wanted to be able to simply mount the router when I needed either another table on a jobsite or in my shop. Not to mention that I was able to get the Craftsman for much less than the Bosch.

I've found that with Craftsman tools ("professional" line or not) if you do a little research you can often get a quality product at a good price. Knowing who the OEM is helps alot. Seems lots of folks don't particularly care for Craftsman but I've had good luck with them the last 21 years as a carpenter, some-time cabinet maker and aspiring woodworker.

In peace, Todd

scott spencer
03-02-2006, 6:29 AM
The only Sears "Professional" tool I own is the 22124 TS, which I like alot and seems to be fine. I doubt it'd hold up well in heavy commercial use though. Probably like anything else, you need to evaluate each machine on it's own merits.

Jim Becker
03-02-2006, 9:06 AM
Just remember that the word "Professional" is being used in a Marketing sense. Always evaluate a tool on it's true merits, not what it's called. If the tool meets your needs, then keep it on your short list as you compare to other offerings.

jay hanks
03-02-2006, 9:43 AM
While I cannot vouch for many Craftsman pro tools I do have a 12 v drill that has been great. It is about 6 years old and survived a drop off the garage roof and kept on chugging. I would honestly agree with one of the other's that research is the key.

Fred Krueger
03-02-2006, 4:29 PM
This reminds me of a quote from "Peace Like a River". One of the characters says, "How many times do you let a dog bite you before you put him down?"

Andrew Shaber
03-02-2006, 4:40 PM
The biggest issue I've seen with craftsman routers is the lack of compatible parts. Including the use of 1/4" collet. These are mentioned above but are sufficient that I wouldn't buy one of their routers.

Don Baer
03-02-2006, 4:47 PM
The next router I buy will be this one.
http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/045242032860_4.jpg

It's the make and model that I saw Sam Maloof using and he swears by em. He says that they put the strap on the router just for him...lol

Steven Wilson
03-02-2006, 4:52 PM
Every Sears Craftsman power tool that I've ever owned has been an unmitigated disaster. If it takes power I won't buy a Craftsman - ever, period, nada, no way. I've even had a few Craftsman tools that have been so bad that I've destroyed them and thrown them in the trash rather than try and sell them at a garage sale. So I don't care what they come up with , I won't own it. At their best they were middle of the road, high priced tools. They never were really top notch tools.

Aaron Kline
03-02-2006, 6:21 PM
Hey Don,
That's the router I have! Is there anywhere I can get a plunge base for it? Thanks.
Aaron

Don Baer
03-02-2006, 7:02 PM
Hey Don,
That's the router I have! Is there anywhere I can get a plunge base for it? Thanks.
Aaron

Aron,
I checked the Milwaukee web site and they don't show on. One thing I like about that router is that it can be table mounted and has a built in router lift that can be accesed from the table top.

Randall Davis
01-20-2007, 12:01 AM
I'm responding without even looking at the tools you mention, but only because I DON'T TRUST SEARS. There was a time when I felt that they provided reasonable tools for the hobbyist at good prices, and they have a past history of having one of the best parts supply systems around. Unfortunately, Sears seems to have lost its way and no longer has a focus on just exactly what business it is in. I had a Sears Hardware near the house. When it opened it forced an independent hardware store out of business. I understood that, with Sears ability to buy at the best price, they could undercut the independent. Then, several years later, the Sears Hardware decided they were going to get into the appliance business and most of the hardware (and tools) were almost gone. This, with a Conns, Best Buy, Walmart, Sams Club, Pruven Products (a builders supply that sells to the public) a Lowes, a full sized Sears in a Mall, and a HD, all within less than 10 miles. The Sears is now gone. Before they closed they stopped carrying Bosch, Mikita, DeWalt, etc. and went back to C'man, that is IMHO often of questionable quality. Will they continue to carry parts--who knows. So that is my reason for staying away from Sears tools.

wow! WAS A

Dewayne Reding
01-20-2007, 6:50 AM
What several others have already said. Evaluate each and every tool. It is pretty easy to find out exactly who made all of Craftsmans better tools. In Craftsman Professional I have the 22124 Tablesaw and just bought their 6 1/8 Jointer. Both made by Orion. Both make Delta's competitively priced lines look like junk. But Professional? Professional housebuilder perhaps. Professional fine furniture maker? No, not hardly.

All the big box stores change managers and policies on a continuous basis. I see zero advantage to shopping any particular place. If you have some local little guy hardware store option consider yourself lucky. Those days are gone where I live. You have to buy some very high end tools to get any service like the old days.

Back on topic. I doubt I would buy another Craftsman Professional router, jigsaw etc. In most (or all) instances it is just a rebadged tool like a Dewalt etc. Do your research and simply buy the original tool 10% cheaper in my experience, and sometimes get a longer warranty. And And I hate Sears daily wild price swings on tools. You can easily get over charged if you arent paying close attention.

David G Baker
01-20-2007, 9:25 AM
Something I haven't seen posted, the Sears/Kmart connection. Need I say more? Won't be long before they start selling Martha Stewart Professional woodworking tools.
David B

Jim Becker
01-20-2007, 9:27 AM
Evaluate the specific tool and forget about the marketing name..."Pro" in the name no way indicates anything meaningful...from any vendor.

scott spencer
01-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Something I haven't seen posted, the Sears/Kmart connection. Need I say more? Won't be long before they start selling Martha Stewart Professional woodworking tools.
David B

Beats the heck of the some of the alternatives! :D

Denny Rice
08-03-2007, 3:25 AM
The only Sears "Professional" tool I own is the 22124 TS, which I like alot and seems to be fine. I doubt it'd hold up well in heavy commercial use though. Probably like anything else, you need to evaluate each machine on it's own merits.

Me too Scott, I was all ready to purchase the Steel City 35601 and found the Craftsman 22124. Found that both saws were built by Orion and are almost identical.:)

Steven Triggs
08-03-2007, 7:27 AM
I used to love Craftsman power tools, feeling that they were a pretty good value. Over the last few years, I've just gotten burned on anything with Sears though. They have forgotten what customer service and support mean. At this point, hand tools are all I think are a good idea from them.

As an example of how bad they are, try replacing an owner's manual for a Craftsman tool. You have to order it for around $8 and then pay about $8 more to have it shipped. So to replace an owner's manual from someone like Dewalt or Delta, I can go to a website and download it for free, but to replace an owner's manual for a Craftsman tool, I have to spend $16. They need to get with the program!

On a related/similar note, a couple years ago I needed a part for a Craftsman lawn tractor that I had bought three years prior. I went to the store looking for it, and they just gave me a phone number to call. I called the number and was told the part wasn't available. When I said that didn't make sense to me, the guy said something to the affect of "Well sir, that mower is three years old now, we can't have all the parts for it anymore..." That was my last big purchase (anything over $100) with them. I can't imagine ever giving them serious thought again for a big purchase.

I remember when I was a kid I went with my dad to replace a switch that had failed in his 25+ year old Craftsman drill. At the store, they looked up and ordered the part (no need for him to call someone else) and they had the part a couple of days later. As I recall, it only cost around $3.

Based on my last few experiences, I feel like when you buy from Sears you are buying "As Is." You might get something decent, you might not. But they don't seem to care either way...

Gary Muto
08-03-2007, 9:07 AM
I've had reasonable luck with my sears purchases. Research on product as well as price is key. I learned to nevery buy without a sale or I wind up feeling taken advantage. Replacement parts fro my mower always get me since they charge for shipping on everything.
My complaint:
Service parts for power tools cost too much. Especially owner's manuals. I have the "professional" dovetail jig. I misplaced teh owner's manual during my last move. $12 at sears. The same jig is made by Vermont America. Free download on their site. Sears has lost the spirit of customer service.

Michael Schwartz
08-03-2007, 11:11 AM
David B

Better than having a "Bob Vila Professional Line" Infact I would rather be seen on a jobsite sporting a Martha Stuart branded tool than something branded with Bob Vila of all people.

My biggest concern with Craftsman is that from what I understand when they contract a manufacturer, the contract is only for 5 years or something, and when that expires they put the contract up for bid, and go with the cheapest bidder. Hence the change from Rigid to Ryobi for their table-saws.