PDA

View Full Version : A California Yankee in Sawmill Creek's Court

Andy Hoyt
03-01-2006, 2:59 PM
I always thought I was a reasonably frugal guy (read - CHEAP) but I've got nothing on good old Pat Salter from sunny Fallbrook, California.

He not only recylced the box I shipped a chunk of hickory to him in and the warning label (see first pic), but he also sent back all my shavings that I had fastidiously swept up and sent to him. See the pic that I didn't post:D.

But he has redeemed himself by including a gorgeous chunk of Avocado. She's a bit mishapen, but that' okay as that seems to fit into my warped set of sensibilities. Measures about 12" long and 11" across on the narrower side. Looks extremely clear, no cracks, has a great bikini wax job, and am really looking forward to coming up with a creative way to destroy this piece.

Thanks, Pat!

32998 32999

Pic #2 also shows a shameless little shot of what's keeping me busy these days.

Glenn Clabo
03-01-2006, 3:26 PM
I realize I'm new to all this and have a lot to learn...do you think some day you'll find a speck of time to teach me how to turn that thing behind that nice chuck of wood?

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2006, 3:31 PM
I was going to say the same thing Glenn. I would really, really like to learn how to turn something like that. Course knowing Andy he will probably tells us it can't be done except on a Mayo machine.:eek: :eek: And that is after a big dish of Butter Pecan ice cream. Right Andy. :D

Andy Hoyt
03-01-2006, 3:40 PM
I was going to say the same thing Glenn. I would really, really like to learn how to turn something like that. Course knowing Andy he will probably tells us it can't be done except on a Mayo machine.:eek: :eek: And that is after a big dish of Butter Pecan ice cream. Right Andy. :D I was going to say the same thing Bernie. I would really, really like to teach you how to turn something like that. Course knowing me I will tell you it can't be done except on a Mayo machine.:eek: :eek: And that is after a big dish of Butter Pecan ice cream. Right on, Bernie!

Glenn Clabo
03-01-2006, 3:49 PM
I'm reading double...is there an echo in here?:confused: I really need to go see the doc.:eek:

Cecil Arnold
03-01-2006, 4:40 PM
I don't know Glenn, I think we both may have been at the torpedo juice.

Steve Clardy
03-01-2006, 4:53 PM
So Andy. Tell us how you really turn one of those minature pole barn structures on a lathe:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: ;) :)

David Fried
03-01-2006, 5:43 PM
Avacado ... must be one of those California ice cream flavors.
Enjoy the wood!

Andy, you are a candidate for a Bowclamp.:D
You must have some really small slicks for that mini timber framing.

Dave Fried

John Hart
03-01-2006, 6:05 PM
Dying to see how that avacado turns out.....How 'bout a Guacamole HF?:)

Andy Hoyt
03-01-2006, 6:17 PM
So Andy. Tell us how you really turn one of those minature pole barn structures on a lathe:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: ;) :) The question I usually ask myself is, "Why bother?"

And that aint no pole barn, Steve. I'm insulted! So much so that I aint tellin'. Of course, if Glenn should happen to prime the pump with sumodatdare torpedo juice, there's no telling what I might divulge.

The Avocado looks really nice and I'm looking forward to it.

But the thing is I hate guaccamole and sure hope this chunk doesn't smell like it!

But what's really got me worried is what kind of ice cream would be appropriate.

John Hart
03-01-2006, 6:29 PM
Pistachio of course!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-01-2006, 7:14 PM
I'm thinking avocado must be an extremely strong exotic because it's fumes seem to be effecting people from all across the country!:rolleyes: :D

Glenn Clabo
03-01-2006, 7:50 PM
if Glenn should happen to prime the pump with sumodatdare torpedo juice, there's no telling what I might divulge.

Would some of this do?

Andy Hoyt
03-01-2006, 8:36 PM
I'll take one of those and six of the bottled variety:D.

Guess I better learn me something pretty quick so I can monumentally impart same.

doug webb
03-01-2006, 8:44 PM
Andy, chocalate mint is a very nice shade of green.....It might compliment the avacado.

Pat Salter
03-02-2006, 12:30 AM
yeah, either pistachio or mint chocolate chip would look just as nice as quacomole:D and taste better too !

One thing us guys in California know is bikini wax jobs :rolleyes: :D

Do enjoy, I'm still trying to figure what to do with the hickory you sent me. I'm going to be working a booth at a Home and Garden show for the club this weekend so I can't do any thing then, but I'm thinking:rolleyes:

Mike Ramsey
03-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Nice score on the Avocado Andy. I've heard of pets traveling
thousands of mile to return to find their owners but not shavings!

Jim Dunn
03-03-2006, 8:09 AM
I'm not writing nothin about icecream!! Nice score on the wood though Andy:) Mike what you don't know about Andy's shavings is they accumulate tools and other things when returned to the box.

John Hart
03-03-2006, 8:14 AM
I'm not writing nothin about icecream!! Nice score on the wood though Andy:) Mike what you don't know about Andy's shavings is they accumulate tools and other things when returned to the box.

I give my shavings to a lady at work who owns horses. The other day, she returned some goodies she found in the shavings....3 pencils, my steady rest base, 6 pieces of sandpaper, and two sockets. :rolleyes:

Dale Thompson
03-04-2006, 10:48 PM
But what's really got me worried is what kind of ice cream would be appropriate.

Andy,
Try the "boneless" variety! :) Choking on "ice cream bones" is a ROTTEN way to "cash out"! :( You will enjoy it, regardless of the artificial flavoring that is typically added! :cool: :)

Dale T.

Andy Hoyt
04-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Thought I'd bump this back up to solicit some input from you folks. To be honest, I hadn't planned on wrecking this chunk anytime soon since I'm still working my way towards the bottom of that pile of hickory. But was looking at it just now and noticed that some checks are beginning to form at both ends, so.... it's time.

It's been sitting in an approporiate spot in the shop since February which is right next to the entry door; which means that every time I come or go I get to see it and that in turn causes me to wonder what's hiding inside. And after all this time, I'm still clueless ('course that's no big surprise).

So... whaddya'all see hiding in there?

35831 35832

John Hart
04-06-2006, 7:08 AM
I see this

David Fried
04-06-2006, 8:29 AM
I don't know Andy.

Let me tell you what I DON'T see. I don't see bonkers, funnels, or goblets!
I don't even see pen blanks!!

Doubt that helped :D

Andy Hoyt
04-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks, John. I'll admit I do tend to be leaning in that direction.

Has anyone ever turned this stuff before? And if so, would you care to comment on its turning characteristics. End grain ease-ability, prone to tear out, turns to mush in DNA or LDD, doesn't take finish at all. That kind of stuff.

Pat Salter
04-06-2006, 7:16 PM
Well Andy, here's my take. I found it easy to turn, there will be some end grain problem but I found them minor. I've turned bowls and end grain boxes. I actually had more grain problems making bowls then boxes. The biggest problem I seem to have is that often any pith from prospective limbs seem to appear as you turn and in some cases get worse the deeper you go or the dryer it gets.

I haven't tried the DNA or LDD methods with anything yet but may try DNA soon. I bought 2 gallons, just haven't taken the plunge yet. I've found that if I saturate the finished piece with tung oil it seems to stabilize pretty well.

I think you will enjoy turning this. Smells nice as you turn it too. Not dusty, although all I've turned is green stuff. Good luck and hope to see some pics soon.

I'm going out in about 2 weeks to cut up some more.:D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
04-06-2006, 7:48 PM
Nice looking piece of wood, lucky you!

As for icecream, a little Macha or some Wasabi icecream would get you going......... :D