PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol drying (somewhat off topic)

Jeff Horton
03-01-2006, 2:35 PM
I am asking this here since turners are the ones using this method. I have some pecan that I am thinking of resawing into small board to make some small boxes with. It's still green, very green. But I was just thinking/wondering why I couldn't use this method to dry some small boards (less the 3')?

Also wondering how much movement I could expect and how much extra to leave for movement past my finish size? Anyone done this? If not I will take some guessing. :)

Cecil Arnold
03-01-2006, 2:44 PM
Jeff, this is just a guess, but I would thing a lot would depend on how the log is cut, ie quarter sawn etc. Just slabbed off the log I would give myself 5/4 to insure a 3/4" board. When I do bowls it seems that regardless of the size, the taped paper will always slip off after the bowl dries and I have pulled the tape as tight as I can get it when covering after the soak. I expect this will work, but how much movement will be the question. Try it and you should be ready to build in two weeks or so.

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2006, 3:38 PM
I agree with Cecil. I would leave it a strong 5/4. As far as movement, twisting, etc. your guess is as good as mine. I wouldn't think it would move that much and like Cecil I think it will also depend how it is cut be it quartersawn or flatsawn. I think it would be worth a try and report back with your findings. If it does work it should be ready to go in 14 to 18 days. I would be interested to know myself.