PDA

View Full Version : Hot Air Guns

Chris Padilla
03-01-2006, 1:35 PM
Okay Folks,

Chime it with what you have and let me know what you think.

I'm looking for a hot-air gun with the following features:

2000 W
Variable or 2-3 level stepped temperature setting
Variable or 2-3 level stepped air flow setting
500 degrees C level is needed (paint stripping)
Stand for hands-free
Some extra nozzles for redirecting air flow various ways
Carrying case might be nice but not necessary

Let me know some good brands, brands to avoid, etc., etc., yadda, yadda, yadda

Muchas Gracias!! :D

JayStPeter
03-01-2006, 2:02 PM
Chris,

I can think of some forum members that might fit the bill ;) :D :D

I got a pretty inexpensive heat gun that's done a great job stripping paint off some furniture. I suspect it wouldn't take much abuse before breaking though. When I worked construction, we used Milwaukee guns for stripping soffets on refurb/remodel homes. Those things could take a beating. Functionally, I don't see any noticeable difference. I've only used my gun a couple dozen times over the last 15 years (mostly for melting heat shrink) and I could easily buy another and still be under the cost of a Milwaukee, but if you're going to be on a ladder it's probably worth the extra cost.

My cheap gun came with a variety of nozzles including a clip on scraper. I found I like a separate (rubber handle for heat insulation) scraper and no nozzle best for paint removal. I like the smallest nozzle for quickly melting heat-shrink on wires and getting the paint melted in little nooks and crannies quickly. I think the gun came with 5 or 6 nozzles, the small one is the only one I still have 15 years later.

Jay

Don Baer
03-01-2006, 2:25 PM
Check with MacMaster Carr. They have a bunch of them. I bought one years ago. I can't remember the make or what I paid for it but it works good to this day.

tod evans
03-01-2006, 2:47 PM
i`ve got an old milwaukee that won`t die......02 tod

Joe Pelonio
03-01-2006, 2:48 PM
Mine's a Milwaukee, 2 speeds, low and high, low is lower air speed and lower temperature. So far has been fine for the last 6 years.

I thought when I bought it they rated it 600/1200 degrees, rather than the wattage. I paid $60 (approx) and it came without any accessories.
I use it several times a week for as much as an hour on and off.

Jim DeLaney
03-01-2006, 3:03 PM
My old Milwaukee heat gun is about 25 years old. It just won't die!

Ken Garlock
03-01-2006, 3:23 PM
Hi Chris. I bought a Milwaukee (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005Q7B0/ref=pd_sim_hi_1/104-7509275-3767104?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013) a couple years ago. It is a nice gun with digital readout up to 1050 deg F. It comes with multiple nozzles and multiple blower speeds. I haven't tried removing paint, but it works for my other applications like bending plexiglass and plastic electrical conduit.

Charles McKinley
03-01-2006, 4:08 PM
Hi Chris,

I have a Wagner from a box store. It works fine for stripping paint.

Chris Padilla
03-01-2006, 4:44 PM
Does anyone have a Milwaukee??? ;) :p

Steve Clardy
03-01-2006, 4:49 PM
Does anyone have a Milwaukee??? ;) :p

I don't:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Chris Padilla
03-01-2006, 4:51 PM
I don't:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hey Bro, Amazon has a deal whereas you can get $20, $40, or $80 off general tool purchases depending on how much you spend.

If I buy the gun in the link Ken provided, it'll only cost me $114 including free shipping!

Steve Clardy
03-01-2006, 4:57 PM
Hey Bro, Amazon has a deal whereas you can get $20, $40, or $80 off general tool purchases depending on how much you spend.

If I buy the gun in the link Ken provided, it'll only cost me $114 including free shipping!

Thanks brother Chris. But I got enough hot air here for the moment.:o :rolleyes: ;) :D :D

Chris Padilla
03-01-2006, 8:12 PM
Done! Just ordered the one in the link Ken provided plus picked up all the accessory nozzles...god, I'm such an accessory i d i o t .... ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-01-2006, 9:06 PM
Chris...........I use heat guns when working on the supercon magnets I work with all the time. I buy 1 cheap heat gun a year and they last a while. I've a Milwaukee I've had for 18 years and it just keeps on going! I take these things to work on a magnet that's 1.5 tesla...15,000 gauss.....25,000 times the earth's magnetic field. Most of the cheap ones work for a couple of years. I bought the Milwaukee because it can be overhauled....but I've never had to do it yet. Working in the field of these extremely strong magnets typically ruins the motors in the heat gun after just a few hours. I try to keep a heat gun at each site so in an emergency I don't have to run to the van to get it. That Milwaukee is impressive. The cheap ones.....they're cheap! Good luck with your purchase!

Kent Fitzgerald
03-02-2006, 12:00 AM
Just be aware that there are two totally different brands of heat guns sold under the name "Milwaukee." One (http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_27_40027_-1_281156_189338_362) of them is the Milwaukee Electric Tool Co., the other (http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/Wagner/product08.jsp) is a product of Wagner Spray Tech.

Bill Lewis
03-02-2006, 2:00 PM
Well this may be too late, but we use Master Heat guns. Really good guns, you may not like the pricing though.
http://www.masterappliance.com/

Chris Padilla
03-02-2006, 3:50 PM
Well, GEE, Bill...I can't pick up Star Wars III, the latest Harry Potter, or Blues Clues (for the kid) DVDs at the same time I buy my hot air gun! LOL

Thanks! :)

Bill Lewis
03-02-2006, 5:09 PM
Blues Clues (for the kid) DVDs :)
For the kids eh? Sure they are...;) ;)

Good luck with the new gun! it looks like a nice one too.