PDA

View Full Version : New pen turner

Tim Beauregard
03-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi all,

Stu in Tokyo told me about this site and I am really liking it. Hoping to be able to trade info with you all. I am a woodworking hobbyist and enjoy just making things to give away to friends and family. For Christmas 2006 I am going to give pens from cherry I harvested in my yard several years ago. And for a friend, who has a birthday in July, I intend to turn a set of chess pieces, from cherry and "tulip poplar".

Anyway, I believe I am weakest at using a lathe. I thought that making pens first would help me improve before working on the chess pieces.

Here is a link to pictures and descriptions of the pens I have made so far. Please have a look and give me critiques, advice, ideas, whatever.

http://treebeau2.blogspot.com

Thanks so much!!
Tim B.

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Tim welcome to SMC. You will like it here. It is the best. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge.

Keith Burns
03-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Welcome to the Dark Side Tim. Your pens look great. You will not find a better place than SMC to hang your hat, not no place, not no how:) :)

David Duke
03-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Welcome to the Creek Tim, you'd best watch out for these guys....don't say you weren't warned ;) ;) :D .

John Hart
03-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Welcome to the Creek Tim, you'd best watch out for these guys....don't say you weren't warned ;) ;) :D .

Yup...you better watch out Tim....These people are NUTS!!! I'm talking, Over The Edge!....and they inhale fumes on purpose!!!:eek:

...Oh wait. I'm one of them.:o

Nevermind. Welcome Tim!

Where's my lacquer?:)

John Miliunas
03-01-2006, 1:32 PM
A big welcome to the Creek, Tim! If Stu is the one who directed you here, you must know it's not your average bunch of wood butchers! :D Have fun! Come often stay long! :)

Hey John, you wanna' pass the lacquer, please??? :eek: :D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
03-01-2006, 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Creek Tim! John's right ....this isn't your average group of turners! You pick a fight with them they'll push you into the Creek! :eek: :D DAMHIKT!

Ernie Nyvall
03-01-2006, 9:55 PM
For Christmas 2006 I am going to give pens from cherry I harvested in my yard several years ago.

Welcome Tim, but I gotta ask you something. What do you need a lathe for if you can harvest cherry pens from your yard. Can I come over?:confused: :rolleyes: :D

Ernie

Corey Hallagan
03-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Welcome to SMC, great looking pen!

Corey

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-02-2006, 4:40 AM
Hey Tim, you made it!! :D

Now I told you how great this place is, but I don't remember if I warned you about all things "Round" down here, on the "Spinny side.......... ;)

.......but it sounds like you have been warned!!

Enjoy!!

PS, check you PM's!!

Cheers!

Mark Cothren
03-02-2006, 6:52 AM
Welcome Tim! Looking forward to seeing your work and getting to know you.

Jim Dunn
03-02-2006, 8:09 AM
Welcome Tim. Just stay away from the edge of the creek, you'll get wet.

Tim Beauregard
03-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks for all the welcomes.

Last night was a great "prep" night. I have a variety of woods at my disposal and I want to have a demo of each variety. So I made up turning blanks for 15 pens:
5 Cherry (Christmas gifts for 2006)
2 Walnut
2 Sycamore
2 Maple Burl
1 Tulip Poplar
1 Purple Heart
1 Red Cedar
1 Ambrosia Maple

It will be "pen weekend" starting tomorrow night!! Will take and post pics.

TTYL !!
Tim B.

Cecil Arnold
03-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Welcome to the creek Tim. If you've been hanging out with Stu, we'll have high expectations of you.

Tim Beauregard
03-02-2006, 3:40 PM
Welcome Tim, but I gotta ask you something. What do you need a lathe for if you can harvest cherry pens from your yard. Can I come over?:confused: :rolleyes: :D

Ernie

Was scratching my head for a bit there. Gotta love semantics!:D